New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Uberbi.. nah, I can't do it.
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to get everything printed out tonight, so I could head downtown first thing in the morning, but got stuck on the very beginning of the application with my address.

I can't decide if they want the PA address, or NY. I guess I can wait until they open tomorrow, then call, fill out the application and take it down, but thought I'd see if anyone else has done it yet.

·
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ugh. I am so pissed at myself. When Osterweil was first decided, I called NYPD and got a really helpful person on the phone. He gave me his direct #, in case any problems came up.

Of course, I call this morning with my question and get told that I can't have a permit if I'm not a resident of NY. Now I can't find the one person's number who knows that you can!!!

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Was the court case about a NYC permit or a NYS permit?

Even the people that live in NYC can't get a permit.

·
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can have a permit - it's just a premise, though, not carry. The Osterweil case determined that if you have proof of a NY residence, even if it's part-time, you can apply for a permit. But because this decision just happened in October, no one at licensing seems to know about it.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
You can have a permit - it's just a premise, though, not carry. The Osterweil case determined that if you have proof of a NY residence, even if it's part-time, you can apply for a permit. But because this decision just happened in October, no one at licensing seems to know about it.
It's called "convenient stupidity"!

And ignorance of the Law is not an excuse!
Hahahaha, isn't it IRONIC,

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Oh man, I remember that post you made too! Try calling and asking for a superior or anyone familiar with the Osterweil decision. The people who pick up the phones there are so rank and file and spit out the same line no matter what… Be persistent. I remember a post of someone who raised such a fuss that he got a rifle registered after everyone told him no by taking it to the top of the food chain.

EDIT:
Found it
http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/la...ing-firearm-you-want-out-nypd.html#post560508

·
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update! Finally got the info I needed. Took a few phone calls, one transfer to a supervisor that went unanswered - no return call to my voicemail - and a bit of time on hold today. The person who answered the phone this morning was pretty convinced that a part-time resident permit was never going to fly, but to her credit, she looked up the Osterweil case while I waited, and even though she said 'this is NYC, not NY State' a few times, she got ahold of someone else down there that confirmed I could apply.

So.... If anyone else is a part-time resident, you put your NY address on the application, even though it's not on your driver's license as your legal address. I was told they may (or may not) take down your out of state address. Everything else is the same, procedurally.

Might take me a day or two to get down there, now that I'm homeschooling, but I'll have the application in no later than next Monday night!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Of course you can APPLY... Unfortunately, APPLYING does not imply they'll approve you! They'll take your application fee's with great appreciation and smile while rejecting you!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts