New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a 308. build and wondered if anybody had some insight on Hart Barrels versus a Bartlein or Kreiger,

Prices seem pretty similar, but is it an apples to apples comparison?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hart is in Lafayette, NY. They build top shelf stuff. I know a few guys with Hart-built rifles, and have seen them perform in precision rifle matches and classes.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
They do make some very nice barrels!

They are Button rifled, vs Krieger and some others that are Cut rifled. Modern Button rifled barrels are great, but cut rifled barrels are just better in most cases. Chances are either barrel will be better than the avg shooter. :)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I try to support NY businesses when possible and am going to give Hart a try on this 308. build.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good stuff, you can call them and they will talk to you unlike most comp., alot of used ones out there from comp. shooters who use them one season.

·
Registered
303 Posts
All big name barrel makers are GTG, I have settled on Rock Creek 5R barrels for my builds. Their spindle cut process has a parabolic gain twist in them. 0.5-0.75" gain is what they say they manufacture.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I have to check those GTG.
A lot of people are talking about polygonal rifling. I think Lothar Walter has an amazing product hard to beat but at the same time and after also using the krieger 5R I have not seen one single evidence that polygonal is any better or worse than the time tested 5R russian design.
So when one sees on the net "polygonal is the way to go" think first about the actual facts and all the matches and long range competitions the 5R design has won. I don't think that any of the new 'cheap' polygonal barrel makers have a good product. As far as I have seen Lothar and a Pac-Nor make extremely good polygonal setups including for the AR. Some other recent makers are not even close but there might be some others I never heard of.
The 5R barrels from krieger have been amazing so far. At least I have been very lucky with them.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
All big name barrel makers are GTG, I have settled on Rock Creek 5R barrels for my builds. Their spindle cut process has a parabolic gain twist in them. 0.5-0.75" gain is what they say they manufacture.
English? Starts with a slow twist - high twist - slow twist?

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
English? Starts with a slow twist - high twist - slow twist?
I am not familiar with the GTG barrels but a progressive increase in twist might have several advantages.
The thing is you start with one rate and end up with another faster. Not sure if this makes a difference in practice substantially enough to be considered. It probably is a very small percentage, but hey, if this is something
that helps why not give it a try.

Another one to consider. Boots has been the father of 5R for decades...
http://obermeyerbarrels.com/index.html

·
Registered
997 Posts
I have had a little experience w/Hart barrels in 3 different calibers and they performed very well. I have a .243 RCBS that will shoot 1/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yds. if I do my part. Another in .280 Rem. which shoots very well and another family member had a .25-06 which also shot well.
Concerning gain twist, if I remember correctly the German military of WW II era experimented with gain twist and abandoned the idea. The US military tested gain twist in their large caliber cannons and did not adopt the concept. An interesting fact is that the Abrahms (our main battle tank) is a smooth bore. It is extremely accurate and much higher velocity than all the present day hot rodded 22's.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I have had a little experience w/Hart barrels in 3 different calibers and they performed very well. I have a .243 RCBS that will shoot 1/4" 5 shot groups at 100 yds. if I do my part. Another in .280 Rem. which shoots very well and another family member had a .25-06 which also shot well.
Concerning gain twist, if I remember correctly the German military of WW II era experimented with gain twist and abandoned the idea. The US military tested gain twist in their large caliber cannons and did not adopt the concept. An interesting fact is that the Abrahms (our main battle tank) is a smooth bore. It is extremely accurate and much higher velocity than all the present day hot rodded 22's.
Gain twist I think in theory is a great concept with a potentially less abrupt pressure curve to start but in practicality what happens to the bullet? There might be some deformation potentially?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts