New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a better case for my AR as I currently only have the foam lined cardboard box. Do you guys prefer hard cases or soft cases to carry a scoped rifle and a bunch of mags?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have both and prefer a nice soft case, they have more storage space and flexibility. I just got the 42" Voodoo Tactical Dual Rifle case and it is awesome. Holds two rifles, two pistols, and plenty of accessories/magazines plus come with backpack straps. Well made, great case.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Hard. When carrying stuff to my truck for a range visit I carry as much as possible in one trip. As such it sometimes gets banged around and I feel a lot better with them in a hard plastic case. :)

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
For storage a hard case but the best is a safe. Soft case attracts moisture.
For the range you cannot beat a military grade mole. you can put 2 rifles in those and a lot of gear and carry as a backpack.
Beware of the cheap ones in cheaper than dirt and those places. spend a bit more and will last a life time or two.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hard due to the traveling aspects I endure and I prefer having the ability to put 2 locks n the hard case along with the lock on the guns themselves, whereas a soft case generally only has a zipper case... Plus there are some hard cases that carry multiple guns.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Hard due to the traveling aspects I endure and I prefer having the ability to put 2 locks n the hard case along with the lock on the guns themselves, whereas a soft case generally only has a zipper case... Plus there are some hard cases that carry multiple guns.
Good point. If you are flying a hard case that must be approved for that purpose. Not any hardcase can be used.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Both my case and it's locks are TSA approved, intentionally lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What are some good brands of soft cases? Also, would buying a Storm hard case be worth it?

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
The mole is good for car transportation. you can put a lock on it 'to be in compliance'.

This is another I have from condor. Overall this is better quality that the one I had in the service. Extremely strong. It will carry 2 systems and all the gear like a sniper rifle and an AR and will wrap well to the body.

Condor Tactical Sniper Drag Bag

Here a review and it does have the waist belt so I am not sure what the guy in the review is talking about...

Condor Tactical Drag Bag • Sniper Company • Gear & Accessories

This is another good one a friend has....
Sniper Drag Bag Scoped Rifle Gun Case

Just stay away form the $50 ones. They look awesome and ok for airsoft but they will break with real life use.

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts
I have both and prefer a nice soft case, they have more storage space and flexibility. I just got the 42" Voodoo Tactical Dual Rifle case and it is awesome. Holds two rifles, two pistols, and plenty of accessories/magazines plus come with backpack straps. Well made, great case.
I have one of these as well, great for going to shooting matches.

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
For storage a hard case but the best is a safe. Soft case attracts moisture.
For the range you cannot beat a military grade mole. you can put 2 rifles in those and a lot of gear and carry as a backpack.
Beware of the cheap ones in cheaper than dirt and those places. spend a bit more and will last a life time or two.
Ditto on the soft case. I'm still finding pockets and storage on my Drago that I didn't know it had. The way to go at the range for backpacking the heavy bench rifle from the parking lot. I zip tied a metal dessicant pack to the inside in case thr rifle gets home and doesn't get put away for a few days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts