New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ken Hanson: Concealed carry: Why the uproar? | The Columbus Dispatch

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...he-uproar.html

April 8, 2012, marked the anniversary of a law that affects the lives of more than 270,000 Buckeyes.

Ohio's concealed-handgun license law turned 8 years old on that Sunday afternoon.

Notably absent from the festivities were blood in the streets, Wild West reenactments and an epidemic of accidental gun injuries. To understand the significance of this event and why today it seems completely unremarkable, simply Google "Ohio concealed carry 2003" and prepare to be astonished.

===

A lot of New Yorkers are watching how the Maryland case turns out, a federal court ruled "may issue" is a violation of the constitution...

This could make it so those "administrative restrictions" on all NYS pistol permits are unenforceable... <3 and we're not held at the mercy of the sitting judge on applications for amendments (to purchase after already holding a valid NYS Pistol Permit).

Yes folks, in NYS depending on the county you live in , a judge can determine you can't buy the gun you just paid for... even after you've already attained and currently hold a valid NYS Pistol Permit.

Come on Scotus, some of us are long overdue for redemption and reinstatement of Constitutional Rights.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Um, if they refuse to let you get the pistol you just bought you better be getting reimbursed, did not know that about handguns in this state.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Yes folks, in NYS depending on the county you live in , a judge can determine you can't buy the gun you just paid for... even after you've already attained and currently hold a valid NYS Pistol Permit.
Please post a link to the exact wording on how that is true

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is why part of me is happy to be moving back to Ohio in July for a few years. I get to keep my NYS license and permit due to my Military status, or so I'm told by Erie County, but Ohio will allow me to get a State ID and apply for a Concealed permit and my cousin literally just applied and received his in 2 weeks... Yes, I really just said 2 weeks!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Here in Orange Co, the judge signs off on amendments - including purchase slips. If the judge says no, its no. And the store may or may not decide to return your money if you're declined (or charge a service, restocking, etc, fee). Depends on individual store policy.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Please post a link to the exact wording on how that is true
Article 400 - Penal Law - Licensing and Other Provisions Relating to Firearms

I believe section 9 of §400.00 holds the justification for this:

9. License: amendment. Elsewhere than in the city of New York, a person licensed to carry or possess a pistol or revolver may apply at any time to his licensing officer for amendment of his license to include one or more such weapons or to cancel weapons held under license. If granted, [...]
The phrase "if granted" implies that the licensing officer has the right to refuse such amendments. :(

·
Registered
1,103 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
A friend of mine in OH just got his CC permit in less than a week. He did have to take an approved 1 day class.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
once you have lived in a state like ohio or va its hard moving back to ny for reasons like this

some states allow you to buy a handgun at a garage sale, ever notice that in places like that it seems there is less violent crime (except good old fashion ******* domestic violence)

then again it could be worse, we could live in ct where you have to register longarms!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Um, if they refuse to let you get the pistol you just bought you better be getting reimbursed, did not know that about handguns in this state.
Its gotta be a tough job to be a gun store.....
customer: hey, I need to return this pistol and get a refund
GS Owner: why is there a problem with the gun??!!
customer: Yeah, NY wont let me have it even though my mommy said yes.......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts