New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use for powder and primers when reloading handgun calibers.

I'm going to be reloading 9mm, .40S&W, 45 ACP, .38 Special and .357 Magnum

·
Registered
131 Posts
in 9mm - Have had zero issues with: bluedot, bullseye and unique powder
federal, rem., CCI and CCI Mag primers.
powdervalley has great prices on bullets when you order a bunch

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
231 for 9, bullseye for 45, 296 for 357. i use unique occasionally also and have tried piwer pistol

·
Registered
280 Posts
Bullseye or 231 in 45ACP gives the best results but I came into a few pounds of Unique that I'll use.
38 spl - Bullseye or Unique
357Mag - Unique for mid-range loads. My K-frame is retired from 357 loads but I used to use 296.
Primers - whatever I can get, currently I have a stock of Federals.
I haven't tried WST powder in the 45 but it's reputed to be clean burning.

G

·
A single common powder for all of your pistol ammunition reduces logistical complexity.

You can buy it by the 8-lb jugs.

You'll never have to dump out your powder measure when changing calibers.

You dramatically reduce potential errors.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
Unique

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
A single common powder for all of your pistol ammunition reduces logistical complexity.

You can buy it by the 8-lb jugs.

You'll never have to dump out your powder measure when changing calibers.

You dramatically reduce potential errors.
This if at all possible! I'm using Power Pistol in my .40 right now but will probably change it up when I acquire a few more calibers. I'd prefer a single powder and that'll be my goal. Until then - its PP for me!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use bullseye for all my pistol reloads (9mm, .38, .357, .40, and .45). You can even use it for shotshells (which I did, but that was many years ago). I started with reddot in everything, but that powder was just too dirty.

Using just one powder keeps it simple and economical.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Generally I use bullseye for 9,40,45. Except for 9major I use autocomp. I'm now trying longshot for 40 but I don't know if I like it yet. For 357 I use h110.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Haven't loaded everything, but even just for the .45, I've used different powders from Red Dot to Unique and 2400. Any pistol powder should have applications for those calibers, but Unique is probably going to be your best all-around powder choice.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Unique here too. I use CCI primers when I can get them.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Jeff---same problem for me with the CCI primers. I ran out and all that wsa in stock was Winchester. I guess I better start really stocking up when I see them.

Unique powder for me as well in 38 and 357 mag

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
WST powder for 9 & 45 here. I prefer Winchester primers, but take what ever I can get at the Beikirchs lately.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I stopped using CCI primer a year or 2 ago except for the last batch of small rifle primers I have. I prefer Winchester's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts