New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently picked up H&Ks new 9mm striker-fired handgun the VP9. This is my first H&K firearm and I just thought I would give some details and initial thoughts on the firearm.

I purchased through an online vendor and had it shipped to my FFL for $599. I feel like the price tag on this handgun is great. Glock 17s run in the ball park of $540 so I felt spending the extra $60 for H&K quality was completely worth it.

Unlike so many other handguns, the VP9 truly comes out of the box ready to go. To start with, the gun is completely ambidextrous. Being left handed I managed to run my Glock 19 without much of a problem however its still nice to have ambi mag and slide releases. The VP9s grip is also adjustable which caters to all different hand sizes. The side panels and back strap can be removed and replaced with small, medium, or large versions to get a custom grip just for you. The trigger is probably the greatest feature of this gun with a nice take up and reset and a crisp break right around 4.25-5 LBS.
The slide also has great features such as front and rear cocking serrations and a charging assist. The charging assist at first looked a bit odd however the tabs on either side of the slide are nice for extra grasp. Lastly the slide is topped with a nice set of steel glow in the dark sights.

Unfortunately I don't have more than a couple hundred rounds through it but so far it has ran without a hiccup and is very accurate. My first 5 round group out of the gun at approximately 10 yards was under 2 inches. I am also on the hunt for an appendix IWB holster and will update with further thoughts once I get some more range time.

Lastly I Just want to hit on size and other handguns on the market. This is a full size handgun and can mostly be compared in size to the Glock 17 and Walther PPQ. I believe the VP9 has an edge on the Glock for a couple reasons. One being that by the time you upgrade the Glocks sights you are at the same price point as the VP9. Another reason being that Glock has been having ejection issues with there newer models.
I also feel like H&K made smart steps that will lead to the VP9 being more successful than the PPQ. I handled a PPQ out of state about a year ago and remember the trigger was amazing. I will not comment on which trigger is better due to the time between handling them however there are reasons why I feel the VP9 is a better choice. Walthers biggest problem was bringing out 2 of the same model pistols with different magazine release systems. While I agree more options are great for people with different preferences (paddle vs button), however they totally shot them selves in the foot when they made the magazines not interchangeable between the 2 models! H&K made an excellent business decision when they made the VP9 take the same magazines and sights as their SA/DA pistol the P30.

I Hope this little insight was useful to some of you and I will keep you guys updated as I get more rounds through it. I am by no means an expert and in no way mean to insult any other firearm manufacturers so please dont take it as a bash to any others.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I have a P30L in .40 and I really enjoy it. I have been looking for one of these. Its in my pick up queue.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
We have put about 1900 rounds through the VP9 since we got our hands on one in early June. This is an outstanding gun and overall is a great choice when looking at Glock or M&P or other striker-fired guns. The only thing that none of us like is the mag release as we could not get used to using this. My brother who is also left handed loved the VP9, but he also stated that he did not like the position of the mag release. The VP9 does shoot better than most out of the box handguns we have ever taken to the range.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I was fortunate enough to have fired one of these the other night while at IDPA... A fellow shooter had just picked one up.

Basically the same size and frame as the P30, with slide height being a bit shorter.. I'm not a trigger snob but the trigger was great. Recoil was nothing.. And accuracy was amazing. I've put a ton of rounds through my P30 (9mm, DA/SA) and I was as accurate, if not more accurate with the VP9 by the second magazine.

I'm not a real fan of striker fired pistols but this may be on my buy list for the future.. Can't beat the price, either.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
IF I wasn't sooooo deep into Glocks I'd consider getting one, but the mag release is a huge turn off, thats why I got rid of my HK

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
IF I wasn't sooooo deep into Glocks I'd consider getting one, but the mag release is a huge turn off, thats why I got rid of my HK
You could always consider getting a P99... Similar'ish to the VP9, and you'll be pleased to know that Walther is betraying us by ditching the paddle release and going with the standard button.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
You could always consider getting a P99... Similar'ish to the VP9, and you'll be pleased to know that Walther is betraying us by ditching the paddle release and going with the standard button.
Lke I said, too deep into the GLocks. The one and only reason I would change is the trigger, but honestly, my 22 and 34 triggers are down to a pretty crisp 3 lbs.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Ditching the paddle release on the P99? I sure hope not.
They did introduce a second generation PPQ with a button release though. And they caved on the PPX and the new CCP with the button release. But PLEASE say it ain't so on the P99. P99 has the best of all world wrapped up in one very nice pistol.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i cant wait to pick mine up as soon as my damn green card comes in the mail... 2 weeks!!!! and stocking uo on ammo and a crossbreed while i wait! :D

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I recently picked up H&Ks new 9mm striker-fired handgun the VP9. This is my first H&K firearm and I just thought I would give some details and initial thoughts on the firearm.

I purchased through an online vendor and had it shipped to my FFL for $599. I feel like the price tag on this handgun is great. Glock 17s run in the ball park of $540 so I felt spending the extra $60 for H&K quality was completely worth it.

Unlike so many other handguns, the VP9 truly comes out of the box ready to go. To start with, the gun is completely ambidextrous. Being left handed I managed to run my Glock 19 without much of a problem however its still nice to have ambi mag and slide releases. The VP9s grip is also adjustable which caters to all different hand sizes. The side panels and back strap can be removed and replaced with small, medium, or large versions to get a custom grip just for you. The trigger is probably the greatest feature of this gun with a nice take up and reset and a crisp break right around 4.25-5 LBS.
The slide also has great features such as front and rear cocking serrations and a charging assist. The charging assist at first looked a bit odd however the tabs on either side of the slide are nice for extra grasp. Lastly the slide is topped with a nice set of steel glow in the dark sights.

Unfortunately I don't have more than a couple hundred rounds through it but so far it has ran without a hiccup and is very accurate. My first 5 round group out of the gun at approximately 10 yards was under 2 inches. I am also on the hunt for an appendix IWB holster and will update with further thoughts once I get some more range time.

Lastly I Just want to hit on size and other handguns on the market. This is a full size handgun and can mostly be compared in size to the Glock 17 and Walther PPQ. I believe the VP9 has an edge on the Glock for a couple reasons. One being that by the time you upgrade the Glocks sights you are at the same price point as the VP9. Another reason being that Glock has been having ejection issues with there newer models.
I also feel like H&K made smart steps that will lead to the VP9 being more successful than the PPQ. I handled a PPQ out of state about a year ago and remember the trigger was amazing. I will not comment on which trigger is better due to the time between handling them however there are reasons why I feel the VP9 is a better choice. Walthers biggest problem was bringing out 2 of the same model pistols with different magazine release systems. While I agree more options are great for people with different preferences (paddle vs button), however they totally shot them selves in the foot when they made the magazines not interchangeable between the 2 models! H&K made an excellent business decision when they made the VP9 take the same magazines and sights as their SA/DA pistol the P30.

I Hope this little insight was useful to some of you and I will keep you guys updated as I get more rounds through it. I am by no means an expert and in no way mean to insult any other firearm manufacturers so please dont take it as a bash to any others.
Great post. I EDC a PPQ so I am very interested in comparisons. Ultimately, I don't think there is enough difference between the guns to switch, but if I were starting from scratch today I would go with the HK. I 1000% agree with your comments re: the magazines. Additionally, I fear that because it is "Limited," the PPQ M1 may disappear, making the problem even worse. I strongly prefer HK's unwavering commitment to the paddle magazine release, and think they have a slight edge in reliability and reputation as well, though that could be perception.

I think the VP9 might be a touch bigger as well, giving the PPQ a slight edge in carryability.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I completely understand why people wouldn't want to switch platforms due to money invested and time behind their current firearm. I was and still am very happy with my Glock 19 however I had a few reasons that pushed me to look for other options.

1. Glocks have always been know for their reliability however with the newer gen 3s and early gen 4s the brass to the face issue is something that really worries me. I have never had an issue with mine personally, but I do have two friends with gen 4s and after shooting theirs I thanked the Lord that mine didn't have the issues they had regarding the erratic brass ejection. Before the VP9 came out I wanted to add a Gock 17 to my collection but the fear of BTF made me hesitant to make the purchase

2. Being left handed I was always interested in having a pistol that was made for Left/Right handed shooters. It might sound trivial because like I said earlier I never really had an issue running the Glock in the right handed configuration but always wondered if i jumped the gun on buying the Glock right off the bat.

3. I have never been truly happy with the Glock trigger. I tried to remedy this by installing a minus connector. The minus connector did lighten the pull weight, however the trigger feels a tad mushy. This hunt for a better trigger is where I learned of the PPQ!

I searched high and low for a Walther PPQ with the compliant 10 round mags with no luck. I even handled one at a gun shop in Montana while visiting some old service member friends. I was amazed by the trigger on it and was almost tempted to have my friend out of state make the purchase and then sell it to me. however the wasted mags that are not compliant with NY state deterred me from going through with it.

Then out of the blue sky drops the VP9, and I got to say I am very happy with the purchase! I don't have a pile of rounds through it so far, however HKs quality leads me to believe I shouldn't have any troubles with it. The biggest thing now is carry method for it. I have never Appendix carried before, but I really want to give it a shot. I think with the size of the firearm it will conceal much better with AIWB vs on my hip. Im looking into the Shaggy Holster, if anyone has any holster recommendations for the VP9 please let me know.

Link to Shaggy AIWB Holster:
Shaggy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts