Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just thought I'd share a quick story:
Yesterday, I responded to a 911 call for a man with a gun. The 911 caller was very specific with the description and location. Upon arriving, myself and another officer learned that the guy went into a house. We knocked on the door, and the guy looked out the window at us, asking what we wanted. We asked him to open the door and speak to us. At first he was hesitant, but after a few requests, he opened the door and stepped outside. When he stepped outside, he had a gun tucked into the back of his pants, which was clearly visible because he was wearing sweatpants and a 'wife beater.' I drew down on him, and gave very clear instructions not to reach for the gun. He complied. Another officer approached, and secured the gun and the guy. Once he was secured, we found out the gun was legal. We unloaded the gun, released the guy, and gave him his gun back. We all (about 7 or 8 officers by this time) went on our way. We just told the guy to try to do a better job keeping the gun concealed in the future.
Some people might think I should not have drawn my gun on him (I would do it the same way again).
Some people might think that is an example of police doing the right thing: as soon as we found out the gun was legal, released the guy, returned the gun and left.
My opinions on everything that happened: the guy is a dummy for allowing a neighbor to see the gun, and also for coming to the door to speak to the police with a gun in his waistband. Did he break any laws, sorta. Did he fail to use common sense, yes. Once we discovered it was a legal gun, we returned it without delay and left (which might contradict what a lot of people would expect from police, since there are commonly posts on here about police being anti-gun, and police infringing on 2nd ammendment rights) but I think it was handled appropriately.
OPEN CARRY IN NEW YORK STATE IS ILLEGAL, under section 400 of the New York State Penal Law

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
I couldn't agree more with all of this. The drawing was a bit overdoing it, but I can at least understand why it happened and the followup response was perfect.

That's just my opinion though.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Ehhh the guy should not have come outside with the gun. I personally would not have left the house, the screen door between me and you would have been fine with me.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
I think you did a fine job...but guess I can't understand that AFTER you found out he was legal, you then unloaded his firearm?
I guess I can accept that you were ensuring your safety even though he was non-threatening (but being a dumbass)

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I guess this answers all the posts asking if you can open carry on your own land and everyone says yes, but you might have a gun pointed at you before it's over :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yesterday, I responded to a 911 call for a man with a gun. The 911 caller was very specific with the description and location. Upon arriving, myself and another officer learned that the guy went into a house. We knocked on the door, and the guy looked out the window at us, asking what we wanted. We asked him to open the door and speak to us. At first he was hesitant, but after a few requests, he opened the door and stepped outside. When he stepped outside, he had a gun tucked into the back of his pants, which was clearly visible because he was wearing sweatpants and a 'wife beater.' I drew down on him, and gave very clear instructions not to reach for the gun. He complied. Another officer approached, and secured the gun and the guy. Once he was secured, we found out the gun was legal. We unloaded the gun, released the guy, and gave him his gun back. We all (about 7 or 8 officers by this time) went on our way. We just told the guy to try to do a better job keeping the gun concealed in the future.
Some people might think I should not have drawn my gun on him (I would do it the same way again).
Some people might think that is an example of police doing the right thing: as soon as we found out the gun was legal, released the guy, returned the gun and left.
My opinions on everything that happened: the guy is a dummy for allowing a neighbor to see the gun, and also for coming to the door to speak to the police with a gun in his waistband. Did he break any laws, no. Did he fail to use common sense, yes. Once we discovered it was a legal gun, we returned it without delay and left (which might contradict what a lot of people would expect from police, since there are commonly posts on here about police being anti-gun, and police infringing on 2nd ammendment rights) but I think it was handled appropriately.
However, your signature is a quote from Al Capone...just saying.
"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. "
Al Capone

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Yesterday, I responded to a 911 call for a man with a gun. The 911 caller was very specific with the description and location. Upon arriving, myself and another officer learned that the guy went into a house. We knocked on the door, and the guy looked out the window at us, asking what we wanted. We asked him to open the door and speak to us. At first he was hesitant, but after a few requests, he opened the door and stepped outside. When he stepped outside, he had a gun tucked into the back of his pants, which was clearly visible because he was wearing sweatpants and a 'wife beater.' I drew down on him, and gave very clear instructions not to reach for the gun.

I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't have drawn on this guy. First and foremost, it doesn't appear that anyone knew he was at his own residence. Mexican carry, Plaxico Buress style, is something that I would've thought was unusual for legit pistol permit holders, this guy was apparently an exception. He looked out his window, saw several officers on his porch, and didn't bother to make it clear up front that he was at his own residence and a valid pistol permit holder? "Let me tend to 'dem rabbits, George..."

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I think you did a fine job...but guess I can't understand that AFTER you found out he was legal, you then unloaded his firearm?
I guess I can accept that you were ensuring your safety even though he was non-threatening (but being a dumbass)
We dont hand loaded guns back the same way we don't give a knife back hand-to hand. It's too easy for that gun/knife to be used against us.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
How did the draw go, smooth and blindingly fast or more of a Barney Fife?:rofl: j/k Mexican carry in sweatpants that should work for a few steps, what a tool.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I guess this answers all the posts asking if you can open carry on your own land and everyone says yes, but you might have a gun pointed at you before it's over :)
This guy was walking around his yard with the gun tucked in his sweatpants waist. People outside saw it and called us.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Does it have to be concealed at all times in NY? I only wonder because I got a holster that is OWB for when I'm at the range.
A shooting range is a little different than a residential yard.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Does it have to be concealed at all times in NY? I only wonder because I got a holster that is OWB for when I'm at the range.
i feel like i have seen somewhere in the laws that while hunting you are allowed to open carry. im not good with finding exact laws and sections and all that but someone else might be able to quote the law, or i could be wrong.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
We dont hand loaded guns back the same way we don't give a knife back hand-to hand. It's too easy for that gun/knife to be used against us.
Ehh...that's dumb. It would be just as easy for someone with ill intent to grab their other mag and load it.

I'm sure you didn't make the policy though. :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
I feel you did the perfect reaction. Of course if the person is acting suspicious and not responding to police by opening the door. Then coming outside with a firearm clearly visible is definitely reasonable means to draw your weapon.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Let me ask a few questions.....

Would you still have drawn if he was dressed differently and carrying in a holster?
I ask because if I answered my door and was face to face with a LEO I would think it would be more suspicious if I walked away and came back.

How about if he complied immediately to your request to come outside?

Your obviously pro 2A and as long as he was legal it wasn't an issue. How did some of the other Officers feel about the encounter, and what did the highest ranking LEO there have to say, or was that you? ( not trying to bait you just trying to get a feel for the overall mood of the encounter)

When I first picked up the app for my permit years ago I got a distinct feeling that the Officer that gave it to me was not to happy about it. Meanwhile when I went to get my prints done that Officer seemed more then happy to answer any of my questions and just chat about the process.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
When you say he was in custody you mean he was cuffed, yes?

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Ehh...that's dumb. It would be just as easy for someone with ill intent to grab their other mag and load it.

I'm sure you didn't make the policy though. :)
I don't know any criminals, but I would assume they don't usually carry a spare magazine in an easily accessed pouch.

If the officer hands the gun back to the person loaded, it's just a quick pull of the trigger and the officer is dead. If you hand it back unloaded (and magazine separately), they have to insert the magazine, then rack the slide. In that time the officer has a chance to draw their weapon to protect himself.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I couldn't agree more with all of this. The drawing was a bit overdoing it, but I can at least understand why it happened and the followup response was perfect.

You say that because you weren't there. You figure they respond to a guy with a gun and then see a gun. They don't know it's legality or his intentions or history. If they don't protect and secure the situation first you end up with an officer down because if it was a real bad guy he's not going to be like "o wait your guns not out yet I'll wait to make this fair"

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

In regards to drawing being a bit overdoing it, you are entitled to your opinion, but I just disagree.

1 - 20 of 410 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.