New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Tragic accident, and more bad PR for responsible gun owners. Really hope the daughter pulls through, but it doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
6,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's no "accident" the way I see it, it's a negligent discharge. The moron ignored ALL the rules of proper gun handling.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
What is a "Reuger 9mm"?

This was stupid all around.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Why are these fools not charged with a crime? Wanton careless behavior that hurts or kills someone is still a crime, right?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Another lesson I pound into the heads of my kids, nephews, and anyone I shoot with. Never ever hand off or accept a gun to be looked at without it being cleared in front of you.

My girls love to shoot and I test them with this one all the time. They are really good about it now and catch me 99% of the time I try to hand them a gun before clearing it. But I tell them 99% isn't good enough because it's that one time you forget that can cost a life.

They have learned to flip the tables and run my own test on me now, and I will admit they have got me twice. Though I would never squeeze the trigger of a gun I was looking at without clearing it, they have got me to take it from them before showing me it was clear.

Always something to teach and learn. I have always told them guns and "accident" do not got together. I hope if my kids learn one thing from me before I die that it is how to treat a weapon and be a responsible gun owner.

I hate seeing stuff like this and hope this girl makes out ok. Thanks for posting. These stories suck but I'm glad they are available to share for learning purposes. I'll be sharing this one with my girls tonight.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Why are these fools not charged with a crime? Wanton careless behavior that hurts or kills someone is still a crime, right?
I would bet charges are filed. Some sort of negligent homicide charge would seem appropriate in this case if the girl does not pull through. If she pulls through, I'm not sure of what charges might be pressed.

Agree that this was a case of ND. I used the term "accident" for this situation because it doesn't appear to be an intentional act. Sh*t happens, and even more sh*t happens when an idiot is involved. Unfortunately an innocent bystander was seriously harmed here, and she may not survive.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
This is what happens when the world acts like guns are a naughty thing to own and people feel like they have to hide them from their kids, so when they happen to come across one, they have no idea how to handle it safely.

Take the mystery out of it to the point of dullness.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This is what happens when the world acts like guns are a naughty thing to own and people feel like they have to hide them from their kids, so when they happen to come across one, they have no idea how to handle it safely.

Take the mystery out of it to the point of dullness.
Did you even read the article?

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
The first half, I thought it was going to go the same way these stories always go. I went back and read it...yeah, I wasn't expecting that. My mistake! What a weird accident.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Chris: This was an intentional act, thus the term 'Negligent'. An accident is a random series of occurrences....something that nothing could have been done to avoid.

This idiot disregarded the cardinal rules of safety - willingly.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Tragic...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Who does a gun transaction in a small closet at a church?

The article said they removed the magazine, but there was one in a chamber that fired. Rugers usually have a magazine disconnect (although it's possible it was removed).

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I was shocked to see no charges filed. Negligent dishcharge is what it was. Really showing a firearm in a closet at church? I keep my carry firearm and my home defense firearm loaded. If I were to consider a firearm it wouldnt be loaded except for at the range but I wouldnt be doing that if I was considering selling it. Both people failed to follow the safety rules.
I really hope that the only reason charges haven't been filed yet is to see if she recovers.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Chris: This was an intentional act, thus the term 'Negligent'. An accident is a random series of occurrences....something that nothing could have been done to avoid.

This idiot disregarded the cardinal rules of safety - willingly.
Yeah I agree that the act was intentional in that the idiot disregarded the most fundamental safety rules, which directly resulted in a ND that gravely injured a bystander. However, unless proven otherwise, there was no intent to cause harm or commit a crime. If [God forbid] the girl does not survive, criminally negligent homicide would likely be the charge filed against the idiot.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Intentional disregard of safety rules? That implies knowledge of safety rules. I don’t think that was the case. I think many people who have guns, do not even know there are ‘Safety Rules’.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts