New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any gunsmiths or people out there that do work on Saiga rifles in upstate? Or even mid new york. I'm willing to drive. I need to get my baby outfitted with a threaded FSB so I can get a 74' brake welded on, I'm just not skilled enough to do it myself.

Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Saratoga Springs? or just Saratoga county? regardless it's about 3 hours away, give or take. I take it you do work on AK/Saiga rifles?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Just to get it out there: if you have a threaded front sight block, it isn't a threaded barrel.
As in one is legal (by letter of the law) and doesn't require welding of device, while the other is a NYAWB no~no

FSB is a fully seperate component completely removable from the barrel that will not effect actual mechanical function of the barrel (other than having really **** aim, which isn't a mechanical issue as the rifle would still fire and function just fine)

Specifically:
NY penal law § 265.00, 'Definitions', para 22, sub~section (a), definition (iv)
a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor

You'd still have to use a brake as opposed to a flash supressor though, but it wouldn't need to be welded to the FSB meaning you could have different brakes to change around, or none at all if you had a fancy.

Check archives of forum for such to gather more info.

Do note that apparently some Saigas went out the door with threaded muzzles hiding under the sleeve that goes from FSB to muzzle.
In that case you'd need to have the threads there removed or permanantly incapacitated (weld sleeve over them) but that wouldn't effect FSB threading.
Barrel threading is in the 14mm range, FSB threading is commonly in the 24mm range meaning a brake that threads to the FSB will easily slip over a sleeved muzzle.

Again, just getting that out there.
Use at your own risk, YMMV, not responsible for lost or stolen items left at counter, valet does not accept tips.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Wouldn't it be possible to just remove the FSB, mail it with your brake to him, and have him send it back. Then just reinstall your FSB w/ brake?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wouldn't it be possible to just remove the FSB, mail it with your brake to him, and have him send it back. Then just reinstall your FSB w/ brake?
Well I'm looking for someone who will remove the stock FSB from my Saiga, and install a new threaded FSB for me. I'm too afraid of bending or generally screwing up my barrel by removing it and installing a new one myself.

I wish Sprout47 was still around. I recall him saying he'd do it for me a year ago but he has since disappeared.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
:nod: Saiga is not like AK where you knock out a couple pins and slip everything off the end.
There are punched spots where tey mush FSB material with a punch press to keep it retained (gas block and rilfe gas pistons are affixed the same way)

Those spots need to be drilled out to release the block, then you gotta work out whether the muzzle sleeve part of the thing is threaded, slip fit or bonded before you can even think about getting it off there.

To get a muzzle device threaded FSB you either buy it as a whole, or spend a ton of money having someone modify/make the stock piece into a threaded version. Much easier to drop the $50 or so (mabe less, mabe more, but not much) on a replacement part that would then need to be drilled while installed so it could be upgraded to pins.
(which would have to occur with a standard Saiga block too to reinstall it)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, most people dremel them barrel-ways and then wail on them with a hammer so they break off. Then they just slip on the new FSB. Most people I see pin it with iron nails, then peen them. I just don't want to do it myself and risk bending the barrel, I'd rather have a guy who has done it numerous times do it for me, the removal of the factory saiga FSB, and installation of a threaded FSB. I'd pay and supply the new FSB also.. not expecting it for free, heh.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts