New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a recent discussion in another thread made me wonder. How does your wife spouse/gf/partner/inflatable doll that you talk to feel about guns and your hobby?
Ever had problems with that?

I am very up front and brutally honest with that. "I am an unabashed gun nut and spend allot of my free time shooting or doing gun stuff, if you have a problem with that we better off going our separate ways now"

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I had more guns than she had seen at a gun store when I met her, so if she has a problem it was her fault for marrying me.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If you feel you have to lie about or hide something, you shouldn't be doing it.

If you stick to that one simple rule, you will probably have a successful marriage.

·
Registered
868 Posts
One of the first dates me and the lady went to the shooting range.... She brought he own guns to shoot! She has almost as much intrest in guns and shooting than I do!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
When we got married my wife was probably mildly anti gun due to her cautious nature and at the time i had gotten away from shooting. Within the last few years, since seeing the state of things, she has gone from i do not want them in the house to ok you are free to arm our family to get ready for whatever might be coming down the pike. Although she has not gone shooting with me, she has picked up archery and is a great shot and feels she will probably like shooting. I also made it clear that our son and daughter will be proficient at handling a gun and she is ok with it. Things are not looking good so we just want to be prepared

tdpark

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
My Fiance is fine with my guns and shooting hobby. She had never shot a gun before we started dating. The only issue is she wants to go to the range with me now. It used to by my guy time. She feels safer because I carry. She realizes there are alot of dangerous people out there!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
she has interest, but doesn't like shooting my glock, at all.

She REALLY wants a 1911, but i'm thinking start her on the beretta 92 she likes as well, and then move up in caliber.

She doesn't like the AR's because they are too loud -- I think I just need to get her some stronger ear muffs and she'll be ok.

As far as her concerns for me: NONE. She trusts me completely to know that i'm going to be a responsible firearms owner, and she loves to make me happy (in general) so she goes out of her way to get gun-related things for me (like a speed loader for mags, a brick of ammo, etc)

I got a good one, and i'm not trading her in, ever

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The only issue is she wants to go to the range with me now.!
Not an issue my friend! There are 7 days in the week, so go somewhere with her during the week, and make it part of date night. Dinner, shooting, & a movie! LOL Then you still got man time AND you get to shoot more since you are shooting w/ her and then again w/ your buddies

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Mine is ok with my hobby as long as it stays my hobby and doesn't cut into family time.

She even shoots with me on occasion. She hates shooting my .40 though so I'll need to pick up something else for her to try :) She likes shooting the .22 and soon we'll see what she thinks about the AR

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
she has interest, but doesn't like shooting my glock, at all.

She REALLY wants a 1911, but i'm thinking start her on the beretta 92 she likes as well, and then move up in caliber.

She doesn't like the AR's because they are too loud -- I think I just need to get her some stronger ear muffs and she'll be ok.

As far as her concerns for me: NONE. She trusts me completely to know that i'm going to be a responsible firearms owner, and she loves to make me happy (in general) so she goes out of her way to get gun-related things for me (like a speed loader for mags, a brick of ammo, etc)

I got a good one, and i'm not trading her in, ever
A classmate of mine (about the same age as my daughter) had never been shooting before. I took her out to a range in Alabama close to the school we were in and started her off with a 9mm, the glock, an xD and a Beretta, then I asked her if she wanted to try the 1911 (45) and that was it, I couldn't get the thing out of her hand. We went out to lunch afterward and she told me that she loved the 1911 and really didn't like any of the other pistols she tried that day. So it may not take as much time to get her up to speed with a 45 than you think.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Not an issue my friend! There are 7 days in the week, so go somewhere with her during the week, and make it part of date night. Dinner, shooting, & a movie! LOL Then you still got man time AND you get to shoot more since you are shooting w/ her and then again w/ your buddies
Can I have a loan so I can afford all that shooting?!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
My wife knew I shot and hunted and what not shortly after we met. It is pretty obvious when your in my home plus it comes up a lot in covnersation, such as when your at the mall and I say I want to run into Dicks and check the price of a shot gun or ammo....She was uncomfortable until I took her shooting and once she learned, she loves it. At her request my wedding present to her was a custom built bench 10/22.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
I asked these questions when i first met my wife:

Are you single?
How do you feel about guns?
religion?
politics?
cats?

she had the right answers! :)

i am the one that has exposed her to shooting, and she loves it. she goes with me every now and then, and loves shooting the .22s.
took me a while to get her comfortable with me keeping a loaded firearm bedside at night, but i think she actually likes it now.
she's never had a problem with me carrying since I have made it a point to try and train, and intend to continue my training more and more.

would I own more guns if i was single? certainly. but i would definitely not be as happy :)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
A classmate of mine (about the same age as my daughter) had never been shooting before. I took her out to a range in Alabama close to the school we were in and started her off with a 9mm, the glock, an xD and a Beretta, then I asked her if she wanted to try the 1911 (45) and that was it, I couldn't get the thing out of her hand. We went out to lunch afterward and she told me that she loved the 1911 and really didn't like any of the other pistols she tried that day. So it may not take as much time to get her up to speed with a 45 than you think.
Yea I hear ya... Hell she's prolly already ready to handle it. We went shooting with my buddy and his dad like 3 years ago, and I went first. We set up 6 cans some distance out... I didn't hit ****, she hit all 6 w/ the first 6 bullets, still had 2 in the mag! LOL She's a good shot, she's just picky, but I want her to learn carry & defense w/ a 9, then go to 1911... and that could mean like, a couple weeks apart depending on the cash flow ya know? I don't necessarily mean "you can get your 1911 next year..." LOL

AND, of course, I want to get mine first, ha!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I asked these questions when i first met my wife:

Are you single?
How do you feel about guns?
religion?
politics?
cats?

she had the right answers! :)

i am the one that has exposed her to shooting, and she loves it. she goes with me every now and then, and loves shooting the .22s.
took me a while to get her comfortable with me keeping a loaded firearm bedside at night, but i think she actually likes it now.
she's never had a problem with me carrying since I have made it a point to try and train, and intend to continue my training more and more.

would I own more guns if i was single? certainly. but i would definitely not be as happy :)
Is it ok to have cats? I like cats, just got my first one in October, second comes in about 6 weeks!

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
Is it ok to have cats? I like cats, just got my first one in October, second comes in about 6 weeks!
we're both terribly allergic to them.
that's why it was one of my first questions :) even before what kind of music do you like hahaha

i couldn't marry a cat lover, i wouldn't be able to breathe!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well when I first met my wife she was a outdoor girl She use to shoot bow for her school and still does today I wouldn't say she was anti gun its she just not know much about guns. but over the years she shoot all my guns and she loves to shoot got her into hunting clp years ago she loves it. All in all its was her who want to get a handgun so we went and got are Pistol Permits.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
My wife is ok, obviously because we have a firearms business together but before that she was very anti gun when I met her, we still dated, married I convinced her to get a permit because if I dropped dead all my handguns would go by by, she went to a GSSF event with me, got the hook in her, now we shoot competitive handgun, and she has her own AR courtesy of AT lower, and a STAG 3G upper.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts