New York Firearms Forum banner
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

· Registered
299 Posts
Hm... Sorry to bother you again, but that all seemed like Chinese to me.

What I ended up doing, was downloading this version here. New cgminer 3.7.8 With Improved Neoscrypt Performance - Crypto Mining Blog

I just put my worker and password into the .bat file, and while it seemed to be going alright... A look a couple of minutes later, showed about 1000 HW errors between the cards. Weird...

The hashrate was showing at a total of 115 KH/s, but granted, that's probably the least of my concerns. :p

· Registered
34 Posts
Hm... Sorry to bother you again, but that all seemed like Chinese to me.

What I ended up doing, was downloading this version here. New cgminer 3.7.8 With Improved Neoscrypt Performance - Crypto Mining Blog

I just put my worker and password into the .bat file, and while it seemed to be going alright... A look a couple of minutes later, showed about 1000 HW errors between the cards. Weird...

The hashrate was showing at a total of 115 KH/s, but granted, that's probably the least of my concerns. :p
The HW errors are a result of drivers..

What you would need to do is go into the CGminer folder and delete all the .bin files, and do the driver update thing I made the thread about.

With SGminer, you can drop in DLL's and mix drivers to get optimum spped easily, but SGminer doesn't solo mine. Best to use SGminer to pool mine as it's a lot easier.

CGminer will solo mine, but setup is picky with neoscrypt, and pretty much a pita if you look at the process to get it setup right.

Also CGminer 3.7.8 is referred to as 'optomized', but in my use of it since it was released, version 3.7.7b has worked considerably better for me.

I guess the quick version of what I'm trying to say is, use SGminer and setup to run in the pool, and figure out your best settings there. Then if you want to mine solo, switch to CGminer and go through the proper setup procedure.

Also, if/when you do want to do solo mining with a GPU for Guncoin, there's some more technical hoops to jump though. I got lucky and figured it out, and don't know of anyone else that's been successful at it without my help. And there's a lot smarter and more experienced miners than me out there that have tried and failed. (but also typical of miners, there's secrets like that, that will only get shared via PM so as not to give away the competitive edge to the public)

· Registered
299 Posts
Thanks for that.

By the way, I just kind of bothered to get back to this, and I seem to be GPU mining correctly, without any issues. Except...

For some reason, my GPU Temperature is massive! It seems my fans are only turning at about 1000+ RPM, when normally mining other things, they're running at about 3000 RPM. I can't seem to get the fan speed up... In fact, the temps got so hot, I thought it was a glitch, or something.

· Registered
299 Posts
No, it's actually on my GPU's.

R9 270's.
I mine some other coins, one of them being Vertcoin. Don't make fun of me. :)

Anyway, I messed with GPU tweak, because I started to get the fan issue in my folder for my Vertcoin stuff... And I was able to fix it, somehow.

But now the fan speed is way low on Guncoin, and my temps are massive... No doubt I'll blow the things if I don't find a way to put up my fan speed. And it's weird, because I have my fan speed set at 100, but they're spinning more at like 30%, and that's simply not enough for mining, obviously...

· Registered
299 Posts
OK, we'll I'm stupid...

I had gpu platform set to 0, as default I believe...

I don't know why the first fan speed wasn't setting GPU 0 to that speed...

Anyway, I changed gpu platform to "0,1"

And fan speed to "100,100". Now I'll just play with the fan speed, and it seems I'll be good to go.'

Thanks for all your help, dude. You've been a great resource!

Happy mining!

· Registered
34 Posts
Ok, a couple things..

Never set fans to 100%.. After long term testing (by smarter people than me), anything over 85% doesn't really help cool anymore, but does wear the fans out a lot quicker.

What kind of temps were you getting? Up to 95c is ok, although under 85c is better for longevity. My buddy pushes his to 110C, but I can't get myself to do it.

Have you tried auto for the fans with temp cutoff? That's what I use..
Code:
  "auto-fan": true,
  "temp-cutoff": "95,95,95",
  "temp-overheat": "92,92,92",
  "temp-target": "85,85,85",
Lately I have been tinkering with X11, and am mining Digitalcoin currently, but I'm thinking that CANN looks like a good next one.

And don't feel bad if something goes awry once in a while, that's part of mining, it's just fixing the issue before it causes damage. In my case, I just had 2 XFX 290X GPU's smoke on me, that I paid $600 each for. Both cards, all was running fine, then hard lockup, and on reboot the card was no longer recognized. One had a puff of smoke come off of it that got sucked into the next GPU fan and spread around the room, it was pretty stinky. Good thing for warranty replacement!!

Here's a pic of what burned and let the smoke go..

· Registered
3,568 Posts
"Well" is relative. Older equipment will function, but more modern equipment will do much better.

Also, "worth it" is relative.

At current electric and guncoin rates, you could not mine the guncoin and sell it immediately on the market for profit. Newer more econimical equipment would get closer, but still not break even selling immediately.

If you mine now and want profit, you mine now and hold on, then sell it or use it later. I have been mining since it launched, and haven't sold any yet. And I have quite a bit of money tied up in equipment.

If you want to use guncoin to make purchases, grab some from the coin exchanges (as it is for sale on the exchanges for less than it costs to mine) and use it for the purchases.
Ahh, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

· Registered
34 Posts
Ahh, I see. Thanks for the clarification.
Actually, the last part is what will really help Guncoin.. It needs people to start accepting it as the valid currency that it is, to get it buying and selling on the exchanges.. That movement/usage is just as important to the coin, as the ability to mine it. The more usage of the coin outside the crypto markets, the more stability the coin has. Then mining can become profitable.

Guncoin really needs someone to start accepting it as payment. I don't sell stuff or I would do it, but the mechanism is in place. Right now, guncoin is completely valid and secure. Nothing is holding it back from being used as a form of currency, other than people willing to accept it, and convert it back to cash.

· Registered
34 Posts
That is cool, I get it.. The song don't go "baseball, hotdogs, apple pie, and bitcoin".

Ford or Chevy.

Apple or Winbloz.

Metal or Crypto.

If you get it, you get it. If you don't, you don't. Those interested in staying are invited to stay.

If the shtf, and you show up at my house with gold, that will be my gold.. Crypto is password protected, show up at my house with guns, and my crypto is still my crypto.

· Registered
1,182 Posts
If the shtf, and you show up at my house with gold, that will be my gold.. FUNNY Crypto is password protected, show up at my house with guns, and my crypto is still my crypto.
If the SHTF bit anything would be useless and unusable. Not nocking it for using it if it suits you but I wouldn't count on it being worth anything if tshtf

· Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I joined a new pool and purchased a week long mining contract from a seller on ebay. I am now sitting on 40,000 guncoins up from 30,000. Contract ends Friday at noon.
If these ever hit at least .50 cents each I will be a happy camper.
Hoping someone online starts accepting these.

· Registered
34 Posts
For anyone still following this, I have been added to the development team so there is a certified firearms fan assuring that the development of the coin remains headed in the direction that will benefit its intended users.

For anyone considering mining, the hashrate is way down, so the quantity of coins that you get for your mining is up. (although to be completely honest, we got boned by the coder supporting the current mining algorithm and never got unified mining software so mining setup is much more difficult than it should be, forcing us to consider switching to another algorithm)

For anyone considering buying, the price is way down, roughly 60,000 to the dollar. Considering that my aim is to eventually get the value up to between a penny and a nickel per coin, a very small investment should net a very large reward.

As far as general coin news, I have found a reasonably cheap but fairly sturdy and reliable small tablet to be used for a point of sale system. It runs on windows, so it hooks right up to home or business networks, there's no need to learn android, etc. They will come with an updated wallet that will print and read QR codes for setting pricing, all windows updates, anti-virus, and a security system so that if the pad is stolen they cannot steal the coins out of your account.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts