New York Firearms Forum banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

· Registered
899 Posts
100k!!! yep I'm a noob lol but now that I got my nose stuck in it and finding its kind of easy, I may try mining bitcoin too because I'm still seeing online stores that accept them especially the shareware sites. I will admit some of the shareware out there works pretty darn good. Here is an impressive list of other people that accept bitcoin.Who Accepts Bitcoins As Payment? List of Companies

· The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
In all seriousness though. I am pretty tech savvy like some of the other members on here and also have zero idea wtf this is all about and even reading it makes no sense.
Agreed. The one thing I don't really get is how coins are generated. What drives the generation? Doing tasks, right? So, is someone (or a group) paying real money and farming out the work?

I've got access to a few different PCs at work that just sit around displaying a text based web page. If it would make sense to put them to work, I would.

· Registered
3,568 Posts
I wish I knew more way back when. I woke up this morning (which is a good thing) and found 200 GUN in my wallet. I usually leave my computer running 24/7 and have been doing that for years. Now I can leave it running and mine, its sorta like being paid for nothing.
Can you mine more value daily than the cost of the energy to keep the pc on 24/7?
I'm running Mint on an old single core 3.4 P4 with 2gb of ram and an older Radeon 43xx card. Will this box mine well?

· Registered
34 Posts
The principal of mining, is called Proof Of Work, or POW.

Mining software on your computer runs cryptographic computations called hashes, combines them onto the proof of work, and sends them to the seed node or control node. When your computer provides the appropriate number of hashes in the proof of work to the seed node, the seed node assigns that block to you, and you are awarded how ever many coins the block is valued at, and that is recorded in the blockchain, which is the record of all block awards and transactions.

Guncoin is 200 coins per block, and blocks are awarded every 2 minutes. Bing's computer was awarded a block overnight that is why he found 200 coins this morning. Why he was not awarded more blocks before now, is that the proof of work is scaled to only allow you a percentage of the total number of blocks. Faster computers get more blocks because they do more hashes. GPU's (graphic cards) are better at cryptographic hashing, so they do even more hashing than CPU's.

The original hashing algorythm that was used for Guncoin was called Scrypt, and scrypt has been around a few years. A flaw was found in the algorythm allowing a shortcut to be used to provide the proof of work, so chip makers made chips specialized at producing the shortcut, they are called ASIC's (Application Specific Integrated Circuit), and are being made faster and faster. This made CPU's and GPU's useless for scrypt coins, this is why guncoin switched to the NeoScrypt algorithm, putting the mining back in the hands of the end users instead of massive data centers.

· Registered
34 Posts
I will gladly accept guncoin in my business. Just as soon as you convert it into cash. ;)

In all seriousness though. I am pretty tech savvy like some of the other members on here and also have zero idea wtf this is all about and even reading it makes no sense.
There is a service that converts Guncoin to cash, as of about 1 week ago. It is CointoPay.com.

· Registered
34 Posts
Can you mine more value daily than the cost of the energy to keep the pc on 24/7?
I'm running Mint on an old single core 3.4 P4 with 2gb of ram and an older Radeon 43xx card. Will this box mine well?
"Well" is relative. Older equipment will function, but more modern equipment will do much better.

Also, "worth it" is relative.

At current electric and guncoin rates, you could not mine the guncoin and sell it immediately on the market for profit. Newer more econimical equipment would get closer, but still not break even selling immediately.

If you mine now and want profit, you mine now and hold on, then sell it or use it later. I have been mining since it launched, and haven't sold any yet. And I have quite a bit of money tied up in equipment.

If you want to use guncoin to make purchases, grab some from the coin exchanges (as it is for sale on the exchanges for less than it costs to mine) and use it for the purchases.

· The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
315er, I'm going to send you a PM. I have a couple questions on how to get started.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
I am so far from knowing what the freaking heck everybody's talking about that I don't even understand the posts saying THEY don't understand....!!!

The only digital currency I know about is what they use in Manhattan's Hustler Club. It's called Titcoin.

hoHOOOOOOOOOOOO, I crack myself up...!!!

thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week....

· Registered
162 Posts
I will gladly accept guncoin in my business. Just as soon as you convert it into cash. ;)

If that is the case, then hopefully you are already accepting bitcoin as there are multiple services that turn it into cash (coinbase and bitpay are the biggest but there are others).

· Registered
769 Posts
I am so far from knowing what the freaking heck everybody's talking about that I don't even understand the posts saying THEY don't understand....!!!

The only digital currency I know about is what they use in Manhattan's Hustler Club. It's called Titcoin.

hoHOOOOOOOOOOOO, I crack myself up...!!!

thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week....
Too bad Titcoin isn't really minable for profit anymore. I figure you need about 2.5 GH/s per watt to pay for the energy at current exchange rates. Wankcoin comes in about the same. Sexcoin though, that's a little more reasonable at around 200 KH/s per watt to cover the power.

Yes, these are all actual crypto-currencies.

· Registered
299 Posts
Don't mean to revive a dead thread, but has anyone had any luck CPU mining with the wallet? I'm getting 6 cores and getting about 10 KH/s on an AMD FX-8350.

I understand this is a NeoScrypt coin, so I know I can get about 100 KH/s with both my R9 270's. At least, I think so. What mining program do I need to use? I've never actually solo-mined before, only on pools for a number of different coins. Well, actually I can figure out how to solo mine, but I just need to figure out how to GPU Mine. The difficulty is so low, it'd be nice to be an early adopter if it takes off. Getting the word out on this would be great.

EDIT: OK, so sgminer and cgminer are a go, but I tried to use my configuration for Vertcoin mining in Guncoin, but sgminer wouldn't run properly. If I do mess with it and figure it out, I will share it here, for anyone who it may benefit.

· Registered
34 Posts
Don't mean to revive a dead thread, but has anyone had any luck CPU mining with the wallet? I'm getting 6 cores and getting about 10 KH/s on an AMD FX-8350.

I understand this is a NeoScrypt coin, so I know I can get about 100 KH/s with both my R9 270's. At least, I think so. What mining program do I need to use? I've never actually solo-mined before, only on pools for a number of different coins. Well, actually I can figure out how to solo mine, but I just need to figure out how to GPU Mine. The difficulty is so low, it'd be nice to be an early adopter if it takes off. Getting the word out on this would be great.

EDIT: OK, so sgminer and cgminer are a go, but I tried to use my configuration for Vertcoin mining in Guncoin, but sgminer wouldn't run properly. If I do mess with it and figure it out, I will share it here, for anyone who it may benefit.
The FX8350 is good for about 1.6k to 1.8k per core, so your numbers are right in line. (my mining rig has the same CPU, so it's been tested already)

There is a bug in SGminer that currently will not allow it to solo mine with NeoScrypt, so if you want to solo mine you need to use CGminer. There is a new version of SGminer getting released soon, that comes with a new NeoScrypt kernel that will significantly improve speeds, as well as supposedly fix the solo mining issue, but the release date is unknown. It will also negate the need to have a separate software & kernel config for every different GPU. That will make my life a lot easier helping people mine with it.

With your 270X's, you should currently be able to get between 130k and 150k per card. There is a reference chart available here - NeoScrypt ? Hardware Comparison

Myself, another user from here, and the coin developer are all mining in this pool - https://gun.theblocksfactory.com/statsAuth

If you need help with anything, feel free to pm me or ask in this thread.

· Registered
299 Posts
Wait though, where do I get cgminer to mine this? Is there a specific version/distribution of it that is already configured to mine NeoScrypt?

What I mean is, simply put in my settings with some of it pre-configured, and just plug and play, more or less? I tried to download CGminer from Github, I forget where I got the link, and I it wasn't what I was already used to using. I tried to use a .bat file, and that didn't seem to work too well. Then, I was going to try a .conf, but there was no cgminer executable to actually run such a file.

Unless I'm being stupid and just really missing something. :/

· Registered
34 Posts
If you're getting it from git hub, you're getting the source, there won't be an .exe.

Yes, there is a midified CGminer for neoscrypt.

Here is a detailed how-to I wrote for setting up CGminer, including the links to the software. - Follow the procedure except use 14.6 drivers not 13.11 or 13.12 - https://forum.feathercoin.com/index...rypt-with-cgminer-377b-and-an-ati-gpu-thread/

And you will need to copy the neoscrypt.cl file from your SGminer folder to your CGminer folder and rename it to overwrite the neoscrypt140909.CL file in that folder, as the .cl file that comes with the CGminer download is very primative.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts