New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Uberbi.. nah, I can't do it.
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've read about GunBroker before, but can't find anything in search. Good experiences or bad? What to look out for?

(Looking at a KelTec Sub 2000 and hoping I can convince hubby to go along.)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've had nothing but great experiences with GB. I've always found firearms to be lower (usually 15% to 20%), in some cases by 30%, than compared to my lgs (if my lgs will even get the firearm in stock). And that's after factoring in tax, CC fees, shipping rates & transfer fees. Just make sure to read all the details and have an understanding of the terms/conditions when you buy. It also doesn't hurt to contact the seller prior to bidding/buying.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
It's like EBay, you av to know your prices and don't get caught up in the bidding war, you can get some good deals if you are patient

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Both my P99s appreciate GunBroker.

Just be careful of your FFL requirements, and the seller requirements for the sale. My FFL needed either an FFL copy OR a Driver's License copy in order to transfer me a pistol. No problem.

·
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. BTW, I love how once you actually post a thread, the one you were searching for comes up in "Similar Threads" at the bottom of the screen.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I only bought one through Gun Broker, but it went smoothly.

...and thanks for rubbing in your ability to buy an "assault weapon" :(

·
Registered
891 Posts
Two revolvers purchased via gunbroker. Both used. You take your chances when buying a used gun without first inspecting and handling it. We still have both. The good thing is you open up your options to nationwide availability. The most depressing (more like disgusting) thing about gunbroker is you see first hand how many pistols, and rifles, I can't buy in New York due to 10 round magazine restriction.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Purchased several rifles through GB and no issues. I hear many complaints about excessively high prices but as far as I know, I am the only one in control of my own wallet.
As stated above, if purchasing from an individual, make sure they send a copy of their driver's license as the FFL will require it.

And enjoy the Sub2k. You looking for 9 or 40cal? If buying used, try to get a round count. Rifles that take Glock mags tend to be more expensive than the other mag brand.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Purchased several rifles through GB and no issues. I hear many complaints about excessively high prices but as far as I know, I am the only one in control of my own wallet.
As stated above, if purchasing from an individual, make sure they send a copy of their driver's license as the FFL will require it.

And enjoy the Sub2k. You looking for 9 or 40cal? If buying used, try to get a round count. Rifles that take Glock mags tend to be more expensive than the other mag brand.
Yeah, I don't get the "high prices" complaint on an auction site.

It's like saying you don't like your local diner because they offer Eggs Benedict.

Probably from the same people that think there is such a thing as "price gouging."

·
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, dang. The subbie uses the Beretta 92s magazines, and I have the PX4. I thought I had read that there was a kit to make the two interchangeable, but it looks like that's only for the CX4. I'd still love to get this, but wouldn't have the bonus of being able to use the Sub2000 mag in the handgun (or vice versa).

I did register with GunBroker, though. I thought it was kind of funny that I had to pay them a dollar for using a Yahoo email address.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Well, dang. The subbie uses the Beretta 92s magazines, and I have the PX4. I thought I had read that there was a kit to make the two interchangeable, but it looks like that's only for the CX4. I'd still love to get this, but wouldn't have the bonus of being able to use the Sub2000 mag in the handgun (or vice versa).

I did register with GunBroker, though. I thought it was kind of funny that I had to pay them a dollar for using a Yahoo email address.
Yeah I had to do the same thing and pay $1.00 to use there sight to buy a Gun,I was fine with it as that is how I bought my S&W Performance Center 1911 45acp..

Just tell the hubby that you can both enjoy playing around with the KelTec Sub 2000,it is to bad that we can not have them here in NY the good part for you is at least you live in a free State to use it..

Clarence

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I know I've read about GunBroker before, but can't find anything in search. Good experiences or bad? What to look out for?

(Looking at a KelTec Sub 2000 and hoping I can convince hubby to go along.)
Like any other auction site reviewing the sellers feedback is important. I have never had an issue buying off gunbroker. Granted I usually use the buy it now option and have only bought one used product but, I have bought a lot of new ones. There are some dealers who don't charge the 3% credit card fee on top of the sales but many do, so you have to take that into account when you are looking at the price. I only use credit cards on auctions sites (Not gun Broker)since I have been burned before sending money orders.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I've bought several guns from the Gun Broker site, Everything went smooth. When looking you have to figure in the shipping charge, your FFL transfer fee. And out here in Washington State we have to pay a "User Fee" same rate as the sales tax.
All of the guns I bought on Gun Broker they wanted a copy of the FFL certificate from the dealer that the gun will be shipped to.

I buy a lot of guns, I have five guns on lay away right now and I sent a guy a money order for $225 for another,I owe him another $225 for the pay off. I go to the Local Cabelas a couple of days a week to buy 22lr ammo, They have some good prices on some of the used guns. I bought a Ruger Security-Six, A Savage 410 tube-fed shotgun, A Marlin 444s JM stamped, A browning 22 lever-action, and a bunch of others there. Really good prices on these guns.

Most of the guns I buy are from the local pawn shops, they always drop the price down some and they cover the sales tax. I've had some great buys from the pawn shops. I bought an old Remington Nylon 10 from Smokey Point Pawn Shop for $350 and sold that gun for $750. I just picked up a S&W 437 -38spl.+P at Pawn Fathers Pawn Shop when they had their Anniversary Sale, 30% off on used guns. They had $499 price on it and I got it for $350 & tax. Last summer I bought a nice older 22lr rifle at JC's pawn shop for only $50, it's the most accurate 22 rifle in the collection of over 30 old 22 rifles.

Another good place to check out guns in on Armslist, I've bought a few handguns from this site. I check out the guns on there in Washington State and from Oregon. Once in a while I'll check out whats available in Pennsylvania and New York.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Gun Broker is a handy place to shop and what advice you have already been given about credit card usage & fees, shipping fees, FFL requirements is all very good advice.

All I can add is, while it is an "auction" site, most often it is not truly an auction due to the pricing the seller's put on their items. Often they will have a starting price that it way too high or they will have a reserve price that they will not less below.

Since you have opened an account, you can use the "advanced search" function which will take you to another page where you can search "completed auctions". There you will find listings going back several months on your specific item. And you will find line after line of sellers (often the same one) listing (and re-listing) items that never sold, some never getting even one bid on them............. because the starting price was absurd.

But............ you may also find completed auctions where the item actually DID sell and then you will be able to see what others have paid for the item and make your own buying plans from there.

The simplest way to use it is to use the "auto-bid" function. Enter a bid for the highest $$$ amount you are willing to pay and it will automatically out-bid other bidders by $5 (sometimes less) until you reach your maximum bid. If someone is willing to pay more.......... let them have it and watch for another opportunity.

If you go in with a specific item and price point in mind patience and persistence will pay off.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts