New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scanned the topics up and down and couldn't figure out which forum to post this in. Further, there may already be a thread on the topic going, if so, as always, direct me to it, with my thanks and apologies.

One of my hobbies when I'm bored is to browse youtube for firearms related topics and hear what the experts and idiots are saying on the various firearms and second amendment topics. I came upon some recently that pertained to "gun shop etiquette " that I found very interesting. Let me first state that I am not new to firearms, I have been an armed professional in the Armored industry for going on 5 years, with extensive training in the proper handling of handguns, shotguns and rifles. While not at all claiming to be an expert in any way, I'm not a novice either. With that said I was very intrigued by what some of these posters had to say about annoying/dangerous/stupid things they see people do in gun shops, and a few of those that posted owned or worked in gun stores.

With all that said, I'm kind of curious... aside from the obvious (and by obvious will say anything that breaks the NRA rules of safe firearm handling) what are some common infractions of gun store etiquette ya'll see everyday that drives you nuts? (Gun store owners and employees especially encouraged to respond).

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
A lot of those videos on YT are about "don't be an idiot an a guns shop." Fine and dandy. My video about that topic takes a different stance. My stance is: Don't put up with the sh*t a lot of gun store owners dish out. "Oh but they have to deal with idiots every day!" Yep, and they CHOSE to work in the customer service profession. Don't be an ass to your customers because someone else did not know what they were doing. I don't care if you just dealt with the biggest loser in the country, I am not him. Do NOT treat me like my business is insignificant or that you are some exalted being. We have 3 gun store owners around here and 2 are like that and the third is my gun store. It is also the most popular in the area. Go figure.

· Registered
859 Posts
I know you said things other than those that break the golden rules but I really, I mean really hate having any type of firearm pointed at me regardless of its condition or who is handling it.

One reason I like to go to shops when they are dam near empty.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know you said things other than those that break the golden rules but I really, I mean really hate having any type of firearm pointed at me regardless of its condition or who is handling it.

One reason I like to go to shops when they are dam near empty.
I can definetly understand that, aside from the fact that it can be felony assault (or something like that) most people, especially Veterans, don't take well to it. One of my earliest firearm lessons was when I pointed a squirt gun at my father (Vietnam Veteran)... let's just say it was one of those things I only did once...

· Registered
1,668 Posts
The one thing I pay close attention to at my LGS is where I'm pointing a long-arm, should I pick one up to handle. It's somewhat standard practice, but can prove especially difficult in a crowded setting.

· Registered
1,176 Posts
My video about that topic takes a different stance.
no link to your contribution to the gun-loving sector? a picture tells a thousand words. step out from behind the black mask, sir!

+1 on the asking to dry-fire.

my buddy and i checked out a sig 556 swat today at an LGS and one of the clerks warned the one showing us the rifle that the manager would flip if he saw that my friend had halved the receivers to check out the internals. i thought this to be a bit on the ridiculous side since it opens without inflicting harm, but my friend quickly complied with the request.

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
When I'm at my LGS, I always start out the conversation with "what does this thing do" usually followed by "oops":D

Seriously, I always ask to dry fire it. If they say no then I do not buy except for rimfire of course. If I cannot feel the trigger then it is a no go.

James

· Registered
2,099 Posts
One thing you always see on gun forums is "omg the guy behind the counter was..." or "I can't believe the guy behind the counter said"

While some guys are indeed counter jockey's and others are down right scary, being on the the "other" side of the counter is one hell of an eye opening experience.

The regular patron has no clue as to what is seen from the other side. It is 100% absolutely shocking.

You have not lived until you have a guy walk in a store pull a loaded gun from concealment point it at you while walking closer and say "I need a holster for this". People wonder why some shops have sign's about loaded guns. This is why.

Simple rules to follow.

Ask to handle a gun
Ask to dry fire a gun
always check the chamber (even if the guy behind the counter did before he handed it to esp if he did not.
Never hand the gun to your kid unless you ask first
Never bring a loaded gun into the store if you plan on making it visible to anyone for any reason
Don't let your kids run behind the counter on that note if you bring a kid in make sure they stay at your side the entire time.
When the guy behind the counter hands you the gun to look at don't point it directly at his face when you take sight picture
Don't smell like alcohol or drugs when you go into a gun shop, and take a shower before going out in public

My two personal ones:
Don't ask the guy behind the counter "omg did you see what they did on American **** jacket arms last night?" ;)
Don't pull a gun from concealment and point it at me. Please.

· Registered
9,138 Posts
My favorite pet peeve is when a customer wants to show me the gun he is carrying, just pulls it out and wants to hand it to me. I would love to see your handgun, just please clear it first.

Other "peeve", he's looking at a new gun and wants to pass it around to all of his friends and family.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
I completely understand Brad's standpoint on loaded carry guns, but I have a pet peeve about stores that have signs banning concealed carry. I know they don't carry the weight of law in NYS, but it kinda goes against what I at least believe gun stores and responsible citizens are trying to accomplish in society. It comes across as hypocritical. I would be 100% ok with them if they were worded more along the lines of "no handling of loaded firearms under any circumstances". If I needed to show my carry gun to someone in the store, I would ask first, and more likely than not, I would want to unload it in my car and then come back in.

Otherwise, I echo the statements regarding having guns pointed at me, it happens all the time in gun stores. I typically aim at the floor or the ceiling out of habit so someone can't walk in front of the muzzle. I also dislike when employees seem to think they are granting me some great privilege by assisting me. This has only really happened to me at Gander Mountain.

Finally, I hate when employees are not on the same level as me. For example (made up), I go in and say I am interested in a Walther PPS in 9mm, and they produce a Walther PPK. When I say, no, that's a completely different gun, and is chambered in .380, they try to convince me its the same thing, or better than what I asked for. It very well may be, but I did my research, know what I want, and you are ignoring that and trying to change my mind. I expect someone working in a gun store to know more than me, or at least be on the same level, but not to lie to me to make a sale.

· Registered
9,138 Posts
I

Otherwise, I echo the statements regarding having guns pointed at me, it happens all the time in gun stores. I typically aim at the floor or the ceiling out of habit so someone can't walk in front of the muzzle. I also dislike when employees seem to think they are granting me some great privilege by assisting me. This has only really happened to me at Gander Mountain.

Finally, I hate when employees are not on the same level as me. For example (made up), I go in and say I am interested in a Walther PPS in 9mm, and they produce a Walther PPK. When I say, no, that's a completely different gun, and is chambered in .380, they try to convince me its the same thing, or better than what I asked for. It very well may be, but I did my research, know what I want, and you are ignoring that and trying to change my mind. I expect someone working in a gun store to know more than me, or at least be on the same level, but not to lie to me to make a sale.
I work for a gun store, a lot of what you are saying is true. I see co-workers all of the time talking out their arse. For me it's simple, if I don't know something about a particular gun, I tell the customer. It is almost impossible for me to know everything about all guns. I never feel that the customer is privileged to be talking with me. You shop at the wrong Gander.

· I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,648 Posts
i've hated this about a lot of local bicycle shops too. drives me nuts, and I won't shop at a place after being treated like that tbh.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
I work for a gun store, a lot of what you are saying is true. I see co-workers all of the time talking out their arse. For me it's simple, if I don't know something about a particular gun, I tell the customer. It is almost impossible for me to know everything about all guns. I never feel that the customer is privileged to be talking with me. You shop at the wrong Gander.
It's the only Gander here. It's not always that way, but as a young guy looking at guns, I think I get lumped in with a lot of people who don't have permits, don't know they need permits, and are looking for something they saw in a videogame. So I understand it, but that doesn't make it less irritating.

· Registered
2,099 Posts
I completely understand Brad's standpoint on loaded carry guns, but I have a pet peeve about stores that have signs banning concealed carry. I know they don't carry the weight of law in NYS, but it kinda goes against what I at least believe gun stores and responsible citizens are trying to accomplish in society. It comes across as hypocritical. I would be 100% ok with them if they were worded more along the lines of "no handling of loaded firearms under any circumstances". If I needed to show my carry gun to someone in the store, I would ask first, and more likely than not, I would want to unload it in my car and then come back in. .
I HATE those signs too.... I can tell you they are there for two reasons 1. To make the insurance guy happy. The last thing anyone wants to happen is the insurance company to find a way out if an ND were to happen... 2. to reduce the amount of loaded guns pointed at employees... I can tell you that if you plan to keep the gun concealed you can almost always ignore that sign... ;) Those signs aggravate me to not end...

· Registered
9,138 Posts
I HATE those signs too.... I can tell you they are there for two reasons 1. To make the insurance guy happy. The last thing anyone wants to happen is the insurance company to find a way out if an ND were to happen... 2. to reduce the amount of loaded guns pointed at employees... I can tell you that if you plan to keep the gun concealed you can almost always ignore that sign... ;) Those signs aggravate me to not end...
Maybe I live in a better place, I have never seen an anti CCW sign at a gun store. Either way that sucks, I would not buy from that store, I would also tell the manager why.

These are pretty neat to hand out, I have done this many times:

http://persecusa.com/pdf/CCWCardS.pdf

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
It's the only Gander here. It's not always that way, but as a young guy looking at guns, I think I get lumped in with a lot of people who don't have permits, don't know they need permits, and are looking for something they saw in a videogame. So I understand it, but that doesn't make it less irritating.
This is exactly my problem. I don't care if the last 47 guys you dealt with were those kind of people. I am not. If you can't separate the floaters from the sinkers then do not work is a retail establishment.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.