New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't be the only one that does not have space in the house for a safe(I think), my basement is dry yet its damp at times and dry as a old bone during the winter months and it really is the only space in my small house for a safe, wha wha........So the question is does anyone have a gun safe in the basement? What do you do about dampness? and any other preventives for a gun safe in the basement.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don't...but I thought about it.

To do it right consider the following:

-Have a safe that is water tight as well as fire proof, as a flood, backup or even a fire upstairs and resulting fire hoses could be your worst nightmare.
-As someone said, get it up off the floor...as high as you can reach and swing. Closer to ceiling the better, as every inch is insurance.
-Have redundant basement protection...a sump and battery or water line backup.
-If you have any drain lines in the basement...be it laundry, slop sink, etc...make sure you put a ball or gate valve on them to shut them down if they backup
-Dehumidify the basement, then use secondary dehumidification in the safe.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Both of my safes are in my basement. I have a dehumidifier in both safes. My basement is very dry though. So dry that I have to put water in the sump pump to make sure it still works

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay good reply ! I am getting a 12 gun safe from gander I doubt its water proof though, anyway I will put a two foot platform up aginst the concrete chimney and get the golden rod safe dehumidifier. Thanks all!

·
Registered
432 Posts
My dad has a large liberty safe in his garage with a dehumidifier, on blocks so its not touching the concrete floor for fathers day I brought them all to my guns smith for a tune up and remove all the RUST that had accumulated sitting there all year. Myself I'm not worried about being robed so I have a small 19X20 stack on gun locker that has vents. the looks of it outside remind me of a school locker, holds ten guns, cost me $100 at dicks sporting goods.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Pick the spot in your basement then pour a small concrete pad about 6 inches high 8 would be better if you have the room then bolt your safe to it, this will help protect you if you get a bursted pipe aswell as a storm flood. 100% run a dehumidfier (they are awsome and well worth the money) and put the rod in the safe aswell.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Okay good reply ! I am getting a 12 gun safe from gander I doubt its water proof though, anyway I will put a two foot platform up aginst the concrete chimney and get the golden rod safe dehumidifier. Thanks all!
It is unlikely any safe you can purchase is completely waterproof. Even fireproof models are only that way due to the expansion of the fireboard during a fire.

As was stated above, best bet is to elevate it and have a sump pump setup. Have some sort of barrier between the floor and the safe (old carpet, plus an inch or so of plywood) to prevent the safe from rusting to the floor.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
You don't want an air tight safe. This can create condensation. Your best best is raised off the floor a few inches in a dehumidified environment. Use something inside the safe to remove moisture as well (silica or drying rod).

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
12 gun safe? Are you thinking ahead?

I bought a 14 gun safe thinking it was plenty big...2 years later, I'm storing a few long guns in cases stuffed in the back of my closet while I decide on how to accommodate a larger safe in my small ranch house! The basement maybe the only option! I use this in my safe...

Remington Model 365 Silica Gel Desiccant Dehumidifier (Protects 100

·
Super Moderator
3,236 Posts
I have two safes in my basement. My basement is very damp so I run a dehumidifier. I keep three or four desicant bags inside the safes. Never had any moisture issue in the safes. My safes sit up off the concrete floor about 4 inches.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If the safe is a "Fire" safe, and less than a few years old you will want some sort of dehumidification, no matter where you put it. The reason is that the walls of Fire Safes are filled with Gypsum. Gypsum absorbs a huge amount of water as it cures, and the idea is it gives up the water when heated in a fire, which keeps the contents cooler due to the large heat of evaporation required to boil out the water. But it takes several years for the excess water from the original curing of the Gypsum to evaporate, leaving only the water trapped in the Gypsum matrix. Safes vary greatly on how that moisture is allowed to escape -- some allow it vent to the outside and seal the interior, others let moisture move to the interior as well. The hazard is not only rust, but also mildew of any important papers you store in the safe. So assume moisture in Fire Safes, and monitor the humidity in the safe until you are SURE it is dry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts