New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All Gun Ranges have RULES!!!!! All new members are informed of said RULES when they join a Club if you don't like RULES don't join!! RULES are not to spoil fun!!!! RULES are for SAFTY for you/me and everyone else around a Gun Range! RULES are to avoid uneeded repair to the Range!!! Yesterday at the Range RULE NO FIRING ahead or the firing line while posting and unposting targets on the 50 yard RANGE found over adozen 223 brass 15/20 yards infront of the backrest!!! Also backrest is 4x8 sheets of OMC mounted to 6x6 the OMC gets replaced often as it get shot-up but 2 of the 6x6's also need to be replaced because they have been SHOT TO HELL!!! So if your someone who does not mind GUN RANGE RULES join get on awaiting list because spots will open when members who don't follow GUN RANGE RULES are KICKED-OUT then they can go shoot on some of this State Land some of you guys have been talking about with all the GARBAGE!! AS for me I like the 2 RANGES I belong too I follow the RULES an have my fun too and try to make all the Work-Party but thats a sore subject for another post! Well looks like a nice morning to go to the RANGE now that I have Vented

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
I hear you man. Our club went from 4x4 posts and strand board to 2x2 firring strips and luann for our range targets. We can replace one for $5 now.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I hear you. This happens all the time at the range I belong to. I have never seen it first hand, however, I have found .40 shells as close as 3 ft to the berms which is 19 feet from the firing line. Some people just have a screwed up sense of entitlement and think that rules don't apply to them.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Most ranges have a SOP (standard operating procedure) that lists all the rules and regulations. This protects the range property, shooter, public and range property owners. If you can't follow the rules build your own range destroy your own property and jeopardize your own saftey on your dime.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I hear you man. Our club went from 4x4 posts and strand board to 2x2 firring strips and luann for our range targets. We can replace one for $5 now.
We went the same route. You wouldn't believe how many time I grab a target stand only to find that some idiot stapled his targe to the leg instead of the face. People wonder why we get pissed off that we have the same guys showing up to make new target stands. The guys that show up are not the guys that shoot the hell out of the legs.
I can tell you, if I ever see someone doing it I will ask them to leave the range and they will be brought before the board for memebership review. Incidentally I am a Director of our club and sit on the board.

RANT OFF!!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Last week at my range there was 2 new member's (foreigner's). They broke 6 rule's that me and my buddies had to stop and correct them. First they didn't sign in, then never bothered to put ear and eye protection on after unloading their car with gun's. First thing you should do is put ear protection on am I right? Next they basically climbed right on top of us at the booths trying to bully us to give them up. We obliged by letting them have one of the 50 yard booths. Next they grabbed target boards grabbed our tape without asking and proceeded to cross the firiing line while 5 were in booths firing. We had to yell at them at this point to wait till everyone was clear from firing.. Next they had a jam in a 22 and were walking around pointing it all over and trying to un-jam it with a screw driver. Next they proceeded to both fire from 1 booth. Next they rapid fired as fast as they could pull the trigger and there is a large sign above each booth clearly stating no rapid fire. Next they left loaded guns unattended while talking on their cell. At this point my buddy blew a gasket and they left in their brand new Lexus. We got their member ID numbers and brought it to the attention of our president and range warden. In doubling our membership numbers in a yr we created a massive safety issue and who know's what will happen. I will prolly join stillwater soon as I hear its alot better and fewer members

·
Registered
745 Posts
We've been having lots of issues at Camden Rod & Gun Club with "people" shooting non-paper targets on the outdoor rifle range. Someone left a shot-up printer, an old license plate, and lots of broken glass bottles.

There are many ideas floating around on how to fix this; at last month's business meeting a "bounty" was suggested, whereas if someone witnessed an act and reported it to the Executive Board they could be paid $100 if it was an active member found to be doing it. The offender would then be kicked from the club. During the comments some members thought that could lead to confrontations and finger-pointing. (Just because someone was just seen leaving the range doesn't mean they're the one who did the act) At this month's meeting they mentioned getting price quotes on a fence for the outdoor ranges with a combination lock given to members only. It would be expensive, but it may be the only option since it is highly likely that it is non-members doing this.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Why not have rangemasters monitoring the activities who can provide instant education to those who break the rules?

Works well at the outdoor range that I go to north of Phoenix. There are about 60 positions and there's one rangemaster for every 15 positions. Everything is well monitored during firing and during breaks and commands are given over the PA. Rules are posted at the entry and there is an online safety video available so noob's can view it before their first visit.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
As a responsible gun owner you should be able to monitor yourself and have adult level self control. Private range RSO's are normally volunteer for this and sometimes people have private obligations so there's no one on hand some days. Public range RSO's would be paid and wind up costing the shooter more money to shoot. Government owned ranges have paid RSO's because of liability and that comes from our tax $. I am an RSO and keep to myself unless I see someone damaging property or are jeopardizing other peoples safety then I feel obligated to step in weather at the club, private or public ranges.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I just dropped my request to join a local range in the mail yesterday. With any luck, the wait list will be cut a little shorter when some of these incompetent a$$wipes are shown the door.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Last week at my range there was 2 new member's (foreigner's). They broke 6 rule's that me and my buddies had to stop and correct them. First they didn't sign in, then never bothered to put ear and eye protection on after unloading their car with gun's. First thing you should do is put ear protection on am I right? Next they basically climbed right on top of us at the booths trying to bully us to give them up. We obliged by letting them have one of the 50 yard booths. Next they grabbed target boards grabbed our tape without asking and proceeded to cross the firiing line while 5 were in booths firing. We had to yell at them at this point to wait till everyone was clear from firing.. Next they had a jam in a 22 and were walking around pointing it all over and trying to un-jam it with a screw driver. Next they proceeded to both fire from 1 booth. Next they rapid fired as fast as they could pull the trigger and there is a large sign above each booth clearly stating no rapid fire. Next they left loaded guns unattended while talking on their cell. At this point my buddy blew a gasket and they left in their brand new Lexus. We got their member ID numbers and brought it to the attention of our president and range warden. In doubling our membership numbers in a yr we created a massive safety issue and who know's what will happen. I will prolly join stillwater soon as I hear its alot better and fewer members
where was this. I hate blatant disrespect like that.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Kayaderosseras, They basically didn't care what we said till we raised our voices. I thought my buddy was gonna knock them out when they rapid fired. We have had local petitions against us from homeowners nearby trying to shut us down. Mostly they complain about rapid fire. Clubs been open for many yrs so doubt it would happen but still.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wow I'm I glad I live in the sticks. I can't remember the last time I went to the local club and found someone else at the range. My wife said she worries about me being up there alone and I told her I was safer alone at the range far less chance of getting shot.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I wish that was the case at my range. If I go during the week it's empty but weekends are mobbed. But most of the people are cool as hell and respectful. Those 2 idiot's think they owned the place and we were all hired help or something.

·
Registered
522 Posts
it ticks me off to know that people show blatant disrespect like that.... on a side note the state land with the garbage... its gross.. I actually pulled 2 garbage bags of crap out of there last week... and more showed up a few days later... i bring a cardboard box and a few targets and take them out with me when i leave. Is it really that hard?

people like this give the rest of us a bad name.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
Wow I'm I glad I live in the sticks. I can't remember the last time I went to the local club and found someone else at the range. My wife said she worries about me being up there alone and I told her I was safer alone at the range far less chance of getting shot.
I live in the sticks too. It's rare that I go to the range and anyone else is there. I guess living in the sticks has some advantages.

·
Registered
457 Posts
It's because of this type of blantant disregard to the rules set forth by each range that respectful people such as myself cannot get a proper membership to the ranges that we would like, and these idiots(I have far more choice words for them) retain their memberships and continue their crap.

I participate at four local ranges, two with my father and two with a good friend(JVG on here) and unfortunately will likely not get my own membership to any of thee ranges in the near future because many of them have stopped taking in new members because of this crap. Of recent times one of these ranges had to have police intervention because of a group of people decided it would be a fantastic idea to bump fire a dozen AK's simultaneously. Rediculous behavior that unfortunately tarnishes everything for the responsible members and their fellow friends who understand, respect, and follow the rules.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts