New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have yet another rookie question.....

Is there a limit to the number of long guns and or pistols that an individual can purchase in NYS? Per month? Per year, etc?

Just sheer curiosity. :)

· Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff. I looked online and did not see anything either. I see they are trying to pass legislation in MA limiting it to 1 a month, but no info at all here in NY.

· Registered
1,195 Posts
No sir, only thing is multiple handgun sales within 5 day period FFL has extra paperwork to ATF and CLEO, other than that your free to buy a crate of rifles, shotguns, or handguns every day of the week. However you can only have 20 with you in your vehicle or at a range at any time unless some sort of special event like a gun show or something like that per NYSP. I don't usually have to worry about that though. You would have to ck the NYSP website to confirm it though.

· Registered
273 Posts
There isn't a limit. In the penal code you will see parts that say possessing X number of firearms is a crime. None of that matters. What people don't understand is that the term "firearm" in the penal code does not apply to rifles, shotguns, or licensed pistols. Section 265.00 defines what firearms are, rifles and shotguns don't count.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Some anti-2A restrictive Counties in NYS will give you a hassle when you amend "x" number of pistols to your permit. For example, I read somewhere on this forum that a certain County would send you in front of the judge once you reached 5 pistol amendments. Since there is no registration for long guns or shotguns, you can buy as many as you can afford without a County permit office getting into the mix. Most, if not all NYS Counties do not have any limits hard-coded into their laws. Of course, for NYC, most of I posted is incorrect and does not apply.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
I think people are thinking of the criminal possession law that only applies to illegal firearms.
I had thought about that possibility also, and since my posting about an hour ago I've been sitting here scouring the entirety of NY gun laws. The numbers referenced in law concerning Criminal Possession are 5 and 10 , second and first degree respectively. I'm all but certain though that I've also seen something regarding transport with the number 20 on it that Firefly was referencing, perhaps it was a NYSP document, perhaps not. I'm not even saying that whatever it was on was correct. After an hour of reading though the laws, even those regarding specific counties and cities, I haven't been able to find a thing though.

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
I am going to keep looking but it is actually referenced here on this site but no saying where in the law.
NYS Gun Laws | NY Firearms - New York Firearm & Gun Ownership, Laws, Politics, Weapons | NY Firearms

Edit: This might be it.
265.02 Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree.
A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the third
degree when:
(1) He commits the crime of criminal possession of a weapon in the
fourth degree as defined in subdivision one, two, three or five of
section 265.01, and has been previously convicted of any crime; or
(2) He possesses any explosive or incendiary bomb, bombshell, firearm
silencer, machine-gun or any other firearm or weapon simulating a
machine-gun and which is adaptable for such use; or
(3) He knowingly has in his possession a machine-gun, firearm, rifle
or shotgun which has been defaced for the purpose of concealment or
prevention of the detection of a crime or misrepresenting the identity
of such machine-gun, firearm, rifle or shotgun; or
(4) Such person possesses any loaded firearm. Such possession shall
not, except as provided in subdivision one or seven, constitute a
violation of this section if such possession takes place in such
person`s home or place of business; or
(5) (i) Such person possesses twenty or more firearms; or (ii) such
person possesses a firearm and has been previously convicted of a felony
or a class A misdemeanor defined in this chapter within the five years
immediately preceding the commission of the offense and such possession
did not take place in the person`s home or place of business; or
(6) Such person knowingly possesses any disguised gun; or
(7) Such person possesses an assault weapon; or
(8) Such person possesses a large capacity ammunition feeding device.
Criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree is a class D
felony.

I copied the above from a different site since the official NYS webpage with the laws is down. I double checked the above from a different site and it didnt say 20 so maybe the law has changed and we are thinking of the old law?

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
The link above to our own website is quoted from the NRA website. Tomorrow when the NYS website is back up I will look some more but I still dont think that 20 firearms is an actual law but I could be wrong.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.