New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what belts are you using when you are CC?

i currently have a local amish gun belt, and its been good, but im in the mood to try something new.

please post what you have, have had, and want to try. tell me which ones i should never but and which ones i should. links, and pictures would also be great!

·
Registered
460 Posts
i just recently got the 5.11 double duty tdu belt. i think its a great belt. its double layer with 5 rows of stiching for extra stiffness. although its not as stiff as their trainer belt it works great for me carrying my sr9c iwb. what i like best about it is that its not like leather belts with holes that i end up debating which hole feels better or having to make my own. this you just pull to where it feels good at that moment and is easily adjusted to be looser or tighter to exactly where it feels perfect

Double Duty TDU Belt 1.5" | Tactical Belts | 5.11 Tactical

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
The belt is the final part of the rig I am trying to nail down. I've arrived at the perfect gun and holster, but the belt I am still working on.

I started with a 5.11 Double Duty TDU, like RM08 mentioned above. It is a great belt and I still wear it often. However, it doesn't pass the "stiffness test", which is generally trying to fold it in half the hard way (like a taco). You shouldn't be able to do this with your hand strength, but its fairly easy on the 5.11. However it is still stiffer than most "normal" belts, and its good enough for a relatively light gun with nothing else on the belt. If I am carrying a full-size gun, or the addition of reloads, it starts to show its weakness.

I then got a custom leather belt from thebeltman.net. These are highly recommended all over the Internet, they are handmade in Apex, NC, where I actually just was last month for a wedding. Anyway, these are very thick, incredibly stiff, beautifully made belts. It passes the stiffness test above. I ordered it for my correct pants size, with an extra 2" to accommodate the width of the gun. Using the center hole which is sized that way, it is comfortable. However I don't quite conceal as well as if I get it really tight. Using the next hole in accomplishes this, but its very tight and not comfortable. I find that if I use the 5.11 belt, which is infinitely adjustable, I can find a happy compromise which would fall between the two holes on the leather belt. In the winter, I could probably get away with the looser setting, but with just a t-shirt in the summer, I really need that last bit of carrying tighter against me.

So, I am currently seeking an infinitely adjustable belt that is stiffer than the 5.11. I am planning on buying one of VRI Tactical's EDC belts (Clothing > VRI Tactical > VRI Tactical EDC Belt) at the next gun show. In the mean time, I can recommend the 5.11 especially due to its price, and the beltman belt if you are ok with 5 settings and the possibility of needing to pick one that is too loose or too tight.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The belt is the final part of the rig I am trying to nail down. I've arrived at the perfect gun and holster, but the belt I am still working on.

I started with a 5.11 Double Duty TDU, like RM08 mentioned above. It is a great belt and I still wear it often. However, it doesn't pass the "stiffness test", which is generally trying to fold it in half the hard way (like a taco). You shouldn't be able to do this with your hand strength, but its fairly easy on the 5.11. However it is still stiffer than most "normal" belts, and its good enough for a relatively light gun with nothing else on the belt. If I am carrying a full-size gun, or the addition of reloads, it starts to show its weakness.

I then got a custom leather belt from thebeltman.net. These are highly recommended all over the Internet, they are handmade in Apex, NC, where I actually just was last month for a wedding. Anyway, these are very thick, incredibly stiff, beautifully made belts. It passes the stiffness test above. I ordered it for my correct pants size, with an extra 2" to accommodate the width of the gun. Using the center hole which is sized that way, it is comfortable. However I don't quite conceal as well as if I get it really tight. Using the next hole in accomplishes this, but its very tight and not comfortable. I find that if I use the 5.11 belt, which is infinitely adjustable, I can find a happy compromise which would fall between the two holes on the leather belt. In the winter, I could probably get away with the looser setting, but with just a t-shirt in the summer, I really need that last bit of carrying tighter against me.

So, I am currently seeking an infinitely adjustable belt that is stiffer than the 5.11. I am planning on buying one of VRI Tactical's EDC belts (Clothing > VRI Tactical > VRI Tactical EDC Belt) at the next gun show. In the mean time, I can recommend the 5.11 especially due to its price, and the beltman belt if you are ok with 5 settings and the possibility of needing to pick one that is too loose or too tight.
Is the VRI belt a pain to put through your belt loops with a buckle on each end?

·
Super Moderator
3,228 Posts
I have an A &G gunleather belt. I have one of the quick ship belts, the black one on top in the photo. Great belt, holds up well. I also have a Blackhawk that the finish comes apart on. I have had one replaced already, wouldn't recommend one to anyone.

Quick ship belts, custom gun belts by A & G Custom Gun Leather

·
Registered
460 Posts

if you liked the 5.11 double duty belt but it just wasnt stiff enough check out their trainer belt. its stiffer than the double duty. i know that the gander mtn by me has them so check out a local gander mountain if you have one near by and see how you like it.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I currently wear a Belt Man belt. But I'm considering ordering a Wilderness belt.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I was thinking about a Filson or Amish, since you have the Amish, look at the filson

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmmm so many choices. so far i like the 5.11 belts. the trainer looks nice. i also would like to be able to do excact tightening instead of either to tight on one setting and not tight enough on the other.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Crossbreed matched to their Supertuck. Was uncomfortable with how stiff it was at first but love it now. Perfect fit with the clips on their holster (both length and width). I would say its 2" by eye but probably a little smaller. Great belt if you're looking for leather. My BIL wears a web-style tactical belt (don't know brand) and swears by that style, so in the end comes down to personal preference and what works best for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I don't remember but believe it came within a couple of weeks. Best bet is to call them. I think I'm going to place another order in Black, lol.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Could you just add another hole to the belt?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Is the VRI belt a pain to put through your belt loops with a buckle on each end?
I don't know, I don't have one yet. That is a good point though. The Ares Ranger belt seems like the same thing but with a smaller, metal buckle.

if you liked the 5.11 double duty belt but it just wasnt stiff enough check out their trainer belt. its stiffer than the double duty. i know that the gander mtn by me has them so check out a local gander mountain if you have one near by and see how you like it.
I have, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it comes in 1.5", only 1.75" or maybe 2"? I try to keep everything to 1.5", I don't like a lot of slack between the mounting device on my holster and the size of the belt. Plus it fits all my pants.

Could you just add another hole to the belt?
I could, but it would be a shame to ruin such a good looking belt. As it is I am upset there are some scuffs on it from sliding a metal clip over it. From a purely functional standpoint, that would probably be a good solution though.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts