New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have on occasion linked abortion and gun ownership when talking to liberals. In the same breath they talk about "privacy" and the "right to choose." I then ask them where specifically in the constitution abortion is mentioned, because I can point to the section that addresses gun rights. They tend to get a little quiet after that.

I am not making any point about abortion, only pointing out the hypocrisy of those that want unlimited abortion but the abolition of guns. They talk about their constitutional right to an abortion but the constitutional right to bear arms apparently is something that can be terminated.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Funny how we let them (The left) get away with labels...we are "Pro Gun" they are for "Gun Safety" which translates to "Anti Gun". Call it like it is...

On the abortion issue you have "Pro Life" the other side uses the label "Pro Choice" which in reality translates to "Pro Death" These same people are anti gun because they want to save the children? Won't even compare the numbers here....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Other than the well reasoned generic comparison to rights made in the decision conservatives/republicans are well advised to stop linking abortion & gun rights. In fact, I'll go one step further: Drop the abortion issue completely from the platform. IMO it is pretty much an election loser and a purely personal matter to be decided by individual woman according to her individual beliefs & moral compass. Again, IMO, the essence of conservatism is less government and more individual rights. Can't think of an area where the gov't should butt out more than this. The far religious right's intransigence on this issue has cost us more elections and lost us more rights than I can think of off hand.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Both sides dislike government intrusion. The Patriot Act was broadly despised.

NSA spying did harm to, well, everyone- from overseas allies (and our relationships) to individual rights. This was done (as least perceived to be done) under the Obama regime, so it could have been made into a "Democrat problem" but instead the Republican leaders stood up and wanted to massacre Snowden, thereby defending the NSA spying. Stupid, stupid move.

Republicans are largely anti-abortion. Like it or not, this is a right, it is recognized by SCOTUS. It should be left to churches and such to influence, not the government.

And who gives a damn if Jimmy wants to smoke pot? I don't have to, but it doesn't mean Jimmy can't.

The Republican party is perceived by the leftists as overbearing government (and they are right), destroyers of freedom (and they're right) and unempathetic (and they're right...because the R are the parents and the Dem voters are children).

If the R party wants to become centrist they can STFU about issues that SCOTUS has already come clear on, get out of the strong-arm government position and leave the big government problem to the Dems, and concentrate on real issues.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Ha! Whenever I try that argument, they usually get louder and more unreasonable. Then they make the conversation about penis size & gun masturbation.
You gotta stop doing this cause I almost hosed down my laptop with my afternoon home brewed beer ! LOL

·
Registered
740 Posts
Other than the well reasoned generic comparison to rights made in the decision conservatives/republicans are well advised to stop linking abortion & gun rights. In fact, I'll go one step further: Drop the abortion issue completely from the platform. IMO it is pretty much an election loser and a purely personal matter to be decided by individual woman according to her individual beliefs & moral compass. Again, IMO, the essence of conservatism is less government and more individual rights. Can't think of an area where the gov't should butt out more than this. The far religious right's intransigence on this issue has cost us more elections and lost us more rights than I can think of off hand.
I don't agree with you. This is supposed to be a gun forum, so it's not my intention to get into abortion which I am against because it is the killing of an unborn human being. Second, the republican party loses elections when it trots out "moderates"-Romney, McCain, Dole, were all establishement types that were as compelling as dry toast. If the republican party starts putting forward conservatives who are articulate and principled, then they will start winning. Until that happens they are nothing more than democrat-lite, and the base stays home. Watch what happens if Christie gets the nomination, he will have his ass handed to him because he is another establishment rino/democrat-lite.

Secondly, the "right" to an abortion was inferred into 14th A, but the Constitution does not explicitly say anything about abortion. The Constitution is explicit in enumerating that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. The point being that leftists are good at finding ways to make things constitutional (in their mind) that they support, but will then argue that what is explicitly in the Constituion is unconstituional.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I can't believe the judge compared Abortion "rights" to the Second Amendment. Nowhere in the Constitution does it mention Abortion or even childbirth. Therefore, under the 10th Amendment it is reserved tot he states or the people. If a politician wants to improve their odds of winning, perhaps they should start to return to the Constitution. Limited Federal government solves a lot of issues.

I have used a similar argument to short circuit some progressives...When they start to talk about how we need to read something new into the Constitution or how the 2A doesn't mean what it clearly means, I point out that under the Constitution, the Defense of Marriage Act is unconstitutional and that I support that decision - simply put, there is no mention of marriage anywhere in the Constitution, so under the 10th Amendment, it is reserved to the states or the people.

Rightly or wrongly, the Supreme Court has ruled on the legality of abortion. Under the framework envisioned by the founders and enshrined in the 10th Amendment, it should never have gotten to any federal court. Unfortunately, the Progressive movement has been very successful in expanding the scope of the Federal government by regulations and by court decisions.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't agree with you. This is supposed to be a gun forum, so it's not my intention to get into abortion which I am against because it is the killing of an unborn human being. Second, the republican party loses elections when it trots out "moderates"-Romney, McCain, Dole, were all establishement types that were as compelling as dry toast. If the republican party starts putting forward conservatives who are articulate and principled, then they will start winning. Until that happens they are nothing more than democrat-lite, and the base stays home. Watch what happens if Christie gets the nomination, he will have his ass handed to him because he is another establishment rino/democrat-lite....
I can respect your personal feelings on the matter (even though I view anyone without a uterus as disqualified from so deciding), but from what I can tell the abortion issue is and will remain an electoral loser. Women constitute 50% +/- of the electorate and overwhelmingly do not agree with you. We cannot prevail with these numbers. The essence of conservatism is less government and less intrusion into peoples' personal lives. Virulent opposition to so utterly personal a decision is fine, but once one seeks to prevent others from following their moral compass one becomes more "progressive". I, for one, do not equate being a Republican with being anti abortion. Too often religion gets into the mix--a place where it is least welcome.

The bottom line? The issue is and will likely remain an albatross and election loser.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I am a Conservative Republican, I am pro Gun, and I am "pro-death"/pro choice; pro-abortion Americas are not all "liberals," or Democrats, or any other disparaging comment you want to hurl.

This country use to be afraid of the concept that a Catholic president would take orders from the Pope, now we allow that from the leadership of the Republican party.

To my anti-abortion friends, I will concede that the "penumbra" theory utilized to justify Roe v. Wade was very weak, it should have been a 10th Amendment issue whereby each state could decide, I do not for a second believe that the US Supreme Court had the authority to foist this upon the country and poison our politics with a silly wedge issue that allows each party to get a**clowns elected based on passion.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I am a Conservative Republican, I am pro Gun, and I am "pro-death"/pro choice; pro-abortion Americas are not all "liberals," or Democrats, or any other disparaging comment you want to hurl.

This country use to be afraid of the concept that a Catholic president would take orders from the Pope, now we allow that from the leadership of the Republican party.

To my anti-abortion friends, I will concede that the "penumbra" theory utilized to justify Roe v. Wade was very weak, it should have been a 10th Amendment issue whereby each state could decide, I do not for a second believe that the US Supreme Court had the authority to foist this upon the country and poison our politics with a silly wedge issue that allows each party to get a**clowns elected based on passion.
Murder is not a "silly wedge issue." The abortion issue is a genocide issue. For every white unborn child that is aborted, there are four black and three Hispanics aborted, despite the white population outnumbering blacks and Hispanics two to one. The majority of planned parenthood clinics are located in cities with minority populations higher than average. The founder of planned parenthood (Margaret Sanger) was a known eugenicist and racist. I'd give you some of her quotes but that would come dangerously close to violating Godwin's law.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
The Republican party is perceived by the leftists as overbearing government (and they are right), destroyers of freedom (and they're right) and unempathetic
That's funny, that's exactly how this conservative perceives the current leftist regime...

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Murder is not a "silly wedge issue." The abortion issue is a genocide issue. For every white unborn child that is aborted, there are four black and three Hispanics aborted, despite the white population outnumbering blacks and Hispanics two to one. The majority of planned parenthood clinics are located in cities with minority populations higher than average. The founder of planned parenthood (Margaret Sanger) was a known eugenicist and racist. I'd give you some of her quotes but that would come dangerously close to violating Godwin's law.
I would care not if Margaret Sanger was an avowed atheist, axe murdering-serial killer, who gave school children poison milk, plain and simple Americans disagree on this issue that is nothing new. If someone wants to "violate Godwin's law" and call me a nazi, I really do not give a toss.

The first elected president of my party, the GOP, president Lincoln, stated, "n Saving the Union, I have destroyed the Republic, before me I have the Confederacy which I loathe, but behind me have I the bankers which I fear," yet today the modern GOP is on its knees before the internationalist bankers, so over time everything changes.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
The whole abortion debate is ridiculous IMHO. There is a point where a human life starts, the law needs to clearly define that point. No other laws need to be made regarding abortion.

The constitution and discussions of rights should never even enter into the discussion.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I do not agree that "genocide" is in the least a factor. Women terminate pregnancies for a plethora of reasons, none of which are my business. Or yours. All I've known who went that route did so not out of genocidal tendencies, especially since blacks generally impregnate other blacks, etc., but because they are unwilling or unable to care for another mouth to feed. That this happens more in inner cities is a product not of genocide, but the harsh reality that inner cities are typically populated with uneducated people unable to feed themselves, much less a horde of kids. What, exactly, would you (or society) DO with untold millions of unwanted children born to largely single, unwed, uneducated, dirt poor and terminally dependent on social services women? I personally am not prepared to pay more taxes to support an infinite number of stupid people who refuse to take personal responsibility for their actions. Don't most of us here already slam liberal states for spending stupid amounts of money on welfare? The "babies" you save today are highly likely to become criminals if born to a mother and culture wholly unable to support them emotionally, physically, financially and morally. Are you prepared to see our population double in a generation or two? Ever see the movie "Idiocracy"? Guess what? I'd be real life! Perhaps those who conceived these "four black and three Hispanics" you mention should have exercised some personal responsibility and NOT GOTTEN PREGNANT IN THE FIRST PLACE! And, lest you think me racist, I apply this philosophy to all.

If you truly want to reduce abortion then find a way to compel idiots to use birth control. Me? I'd make birth control mandatory after 6 month on welfare.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Hey guys, fun fact, the constitution doesn't grant any rights. So keep looking for "abortion", and you'll find it right next to "the right to breathe."

On the abortion issue you have "Pro Life" the other side uses the label "Pro Choice" which in reality translates to "Pro Death" These same people are anti gun because they want to save the children? Won't even compare the numbers here....
Except that it doesn't.

You can be pro choice and be 100% against abortions.

You just can't tell others what to do.

And the issue with the right currently is without a doubt the "right" part. It has nothing whatsoever with someone not being "right enough." Lots and lots and lots of people have wised up to the games of both sides, and certainly don't want some religions loon imposing more laws on us because or some nonsensical fairy tale. Much in the same way people don't want to buy into the gross fear mongering and psudoscience of the left. It's a ll a matter of which side will concede first. Will the left drop their irrational stances on guns and GMOs and global warming and all the illogical stuff there, or will the right break it's bond with illogical religious-inspired nonsense? We shall see.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts