New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the most part my tastes in guns runs to the old stuff. so thought it would be interesting to see what old stuff members have. you can post handgun, rifle or rimfire from 1942 or earlier. please give a little info on the gun and maybe why you like it. here's mine.

winchester model 1890 made in 1910 in 22 short. i like the gun just for the old factor. when a lot of hand work went into the gun to make it. skilled workers putting out a quality gun a lot of times in those days to put food on the table. a gun that when built was to last generations with little need of repair. i like just looking at the gun and pondering where it had been in it's life.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Here's a couple of my favorite rifles.
Geezer_Guns_-_Swedes.jpg
On top is a 1918 Swede Mauser in a full stock, on bottom is a 33/50 mountain carbine in a sporterized stock. Got to meet the smith that did that one, it's the original stock, it just was damaged, so he cleaned it up and tweaked the rifle a bit. Shot just about MOA with surplus, but Swede Mausers are pretty accurate rifles.

Ok, so the 33/50 might be a bit of a youngin' to be here, but it at least acts like it's older siblings. :p

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
i'm a WW II history buff. in my mind maybe the only war that was truly justified in modern history. i had been an avid gun guy for a number of years but had never owned a piece of the nazi military. kinda odd given that it was under my nose for years but that's the way it fell. about 4-5 years ago i walked into a shop and they had this mauser model 1934 7.65 that was nazi marked. the price i thought was a little on the high side but the gun seemed to be correct ( i am no expert) so i decided to finally own a piece of history and bought it. well i got lucky that day as later i found out that it was a some what of a rare bird in that it was issued to the kriegsmarine. would love to know that it served on a sub as only 25% of those guys came back. but who knows, may have sat behind a desk of a paper pusher. regardless, a piece of history.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a Winchester 1890 also. Mine is a year older 1909, but has had a modle 90 round barrel added at some point in it's life. This gun has been in the family as long as I can remember. I started using it when I was around 12, 50 + years ago. Not sure if the barrel was replaced when my Dad acquired it or before. Mine is a .22 Long Rifle. It still shoots great, I have put several hundred rounds through it this year already.

·
Registered
184 Posts
100_0374.jpg 1861 colt navy 36 cal. found in a dump near Syracuse

·
Registered
369 Posts
1918 Lee Enfield No. 1 Mark lll
Savage Model 1907 (Made in Utica)
1942 Springfield M1 Garand
US Model of 1917 Eddystone
1903 Springfield
The 1943 and 1944 Remington Rand's shown in my avitar are babys at 68 and 69 years old as are my 03A3's, Carbines and the rest of my Garands...Hell of a disease :D

I like the history that goes along with most of these firearms and in the case of a lot (not all) of the military firearms, a nation poured a lot of it's treasure in their manufacture because it's survival depended on them so they stand up to a lot, are fun to work on , restore, and shoot the heck out of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts