New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on Tuesday I was browsing arfcom's classifieds and came across someone selling a mint AICS 1.5 in black. Although I wanted OD Green, I could settle w/ black for the price difference between this and new. I got it today, and immediately was fondling it w/o an action installed, then figured I'd get it all set up.

Only thing I have to say about it is SIMPLE.

I took the skins off when I installed, but it's not really needed if you have a long enough 3/16" hex to secure the aluminum chassis to the Remington 700 action. I hand tightened the action to the chassis for now since I can't find my hex sockets, and they recommend a 53 in.-lb. torque setting. Otherwise, I got it all ready.

On the plus side, back when I first got into firearms, I blindly bought a bipod for a rifle I had that didn't work with how it was. I was too idiotic to not send it back, trying to find adapters to fit the rifle I was going to use it on. Ended up selling that rifle and keeping the bipod.

Well... Come to find out the bipod was the Versa-Pod made specifically for AI chassis systems. So I put that on, and now all is well.

I've yet to decide what I'll do w/ the factory bottom metal and Hogue stock.

I apologize in advance for the cell phone quality pics.

1. AICS 1.5 and 5rd mag

2. Complete 700 on top, one side of the AICS skin, and then the aluminum chassis for the AICS

3, 4, 5. Alum. chassis w/ barreled action installed

6, 7, 8, 9. All complete. Excuse my dalmatian walking around.

10. New vs. Old

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice lookin gun. Love that stock
I was on the fence at first, but as far as adjustability, detachable mags, quality, and price was concerned, you'd be extremely hard pressed to find a better bang for the buck. It's very comfortable to me. I can't wait to shoot with it.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
i saw your stock for sale is for the small ring or whatever remmy series...so its a .223 rifle or?

im not super familiar with the 700s

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Short action generally refers to .243-.308 if I recall. Mine is a .308.
I believe .223 is considered super short action.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've been wanting one of these for a while. Unfortunately, a vacation is priority over another rifle stock. Doh!

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Nice, a Rem 700 5R in an AICS stock is on my short list.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice, a Rem 700 5R in an AICS stock is on my short list.
I wish my barrel was 5R in an M24/M40 profile. I think it'd be perfect for this.
I've been wanting one of these for a while. Unfortunately, a vacation is priority over another rifle stock. Doh!
Priorities! Once you're done w/ vacation, just try to find one used in good condition. Also, going w/ the 1.5 instead of a 2.0 saves a couple hundred bucks too, the only difference is the 2.0 will fold at the thumb-hole seam for storage/transport which isn't something I need. The overall length is maybe only a hair longer than the factory setup as is, folding will save 8",
Nice job Chris, looks sweet :)
Thanks Bob! I'm considering getting another 700 but in .223 soon, so you may be getting a PM within a few weeks!

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So out of boredom, I ended up weighing a bunch of things. According to AI, the stock with the standard butt pad, cheek piece, screws, and mag weighs 5lb 7oz. The Hogue stock with factory bottom metal, internal mag, and screws weigh 2lb 13oz. So the stock does add substantial weight, but it is also well balanced with the current barrel and optics.

AICS with the 700 action and barrel installed as well as optics weighs a slightly hefty 13lb 3oz. It's very manageable though. My old AR10 setup without optics weighed 15lb 4oz if I recall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts