New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up my Ruger SP101 from Hothead yesterday. Here are a couple of pics. Got a great deal on a GREAT revolver. Ordered some ammo, so now just waiting to get to the range. Can't wait to shoot .357 magnums out of this beast!

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Cooden -

SP101's are terrible. Don't waste your time. Just cancel the ammo order. I'll help you out and give you $350 for it so you don't get frustrated.

I'll even make you lunch. Stop down at noon, OK? ;)

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cooden -

SP101's are terrible. Don't waste your time. Just cancel the ammo order. I'll help you out and give you $350 for it so you don't get frustrated.

I'll even make you lunch. Stop down at noon, OK? ;)
I just had a feeling you would respond to this, lol. I am ordering some grip inserts for it. If I don't like the way it shoots (or my fiancee, because I really bought it for her), then you can have first dibs on it.

This thing is built like a TANK! The reviews I read on the internet weren't kidding about that. It feels nice in my hand, I don't know if I would carry it on me, but like every single review I read, for a nightstand/truck/home pistol--this is the real deal right here!

·
Registered
649 Posts
You JUST GOT A SIG 229 elite !! and you made another purchase ?! (I'm beggining to suspect maybe you are single. LOL)

I really like how ruger looks. And they are supposedly built like a tank.

Having said that I find myself looking at S&W. I think I'm falling victim to a marketing/brand name hype... Or am I ? They are significantly more expensive than Ruger or other revolvers tho. BUT I still want a 686 ssr....!!

In anycase, Ruger revolvers look cool ! I seriously considered getting a gp100 instead of my UPSc for my first hand gun....

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You JUST GOT A SIG 229 elite !! and you made another purchase ?! (I'm beggining to suspect maybe you are single. LOL)
The guy backed out of the Sig 229 Elite sale, he sold it locally :( So I bought the Ruger instead (the Ruger was my 2nd choice). I am engaged believe it or not, my fiance TOLERATES my gun purchases, but I had to sell my Kimbers in order to buy that Sig P229 Elite and pay off another little special pistol that will be here within a few weeks. She doesn't care what I buy now as long as I sell stuff from my existing collection to buy another. I have a lot of money into my pistols now, so if I am not shooting anything, it makes sense.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
This thing is built like a TANK!
Well, it's a Ruger, what did you expect? :D

I sleep comfortably with my GP-100, knowing that if 6 shots of .357 magnum aren't enough to save my life I've got a really effective club in my hands.

I am ordering some grip inserts for it.
See if they have the hogue grips for that model. I've shot the GP-100 with and without them and they make all the difference in the world when shooting magnum loads.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
See if they have the hogue grips for that model. I've shot the GP-100 with and without them and they make all the difference in the world when shooting magnum loads.
+1 on the Hogues. I have them on a couple guns and they do make a big difference. If you're patient on Ebay, you can pick them up for less than $20.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Built like a tank and it will be around long after I am. It has a Trausch stock and makes even the heaviest .357 loads tame as a kitten.

OMO

bosco

G

·
Avon gun had a used one for 295 quite a few months ago. I went "back" to get it and it was gone. Seeing yours makes me regret hesitating. They are nice, but I found my bulldog which filled the void quite nicely.

Nice pickup.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Man I love wheel guns. Should be adding a S&W Model 60 to the collection very soon. Gun looks good get out and put some 357's through that thing!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
IMO Ruger revolvers are top of the line all the way. The sp101's & GP 100's are no exceptions. I have two super blackhawk's one in .357 & one .44 My friend has a sp101 and it handles like a dream. You'll have no troubles what so ever burning up a box of .357's at the range. Enjoy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts