New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my permit at the end of February. Picked up the Kimber Stainless II chambered in .45 ACP at the beginning of last week. I've had it out twice and put 350 rounds through it. I've had a few failures to feed -- all but one with a specific manufacturer of ammunition (Fiocchi) that I won't be buying again. That notwithstanding though it shoots like a dream. I've also ordered three extra magazines, carriers, a holster and a gun belt for it.

Today I put a down payment on a Ruger GP100 .357. Will be picking that up as soon as I get the purchase coupon for it. I'm also eying one of the rimfire conversion kits that Kimber makes for the 1911 -- under the theory that I need to build up muscle memory for my trigger pull and .22LR is a lot more affordable/easier to practice with than .45 ACP.

Couple of questions for everybody:

1) What are some ammo brands where the brass would be decent for reloading? I'd like to get into reloading once I've accumulated enough brass. I love the .45 but at ~50 cents a round it's going to get expensive fast. Besides the Fiocchi (which was jam-o-matic) I've been shooting Remington UMC but someone told me that it doesn't always lend itself to reloading. It's also pretty dirty and I'd like to find something better.

2) Is the NYSRPA worth joining? I joined the NRA while waiting for my permit but haven't decided about the NYSRPA.

3) How much money can I spend on my new hobby before the girlfriend starts to hate me? ;D

· Registered
918 Posts
CONGRATS!!!!!!!

I'm a Kimber guy myself so I say Bravo to your first purchase. I like Kimbers and Springfield 1911's.

At this point I do not reload so I can't comment there.

NYSRPA is worth the money if you ask me. I pay the $25/yr and figure I get as much if not more from them as I do from NRA. Yes I'm also an NRA member but I will say that it's because I am an instructor for NRA and that is the real reason for that membership.

At this point since she is a "girlfriend" you're probably still cool. But by the 3rd gun your probably getting out on thin ice. If you move into the marriage area you have already over stepped your limit....lol.

I would suggest that if you have getting hitched to this girl plans that you stay the course you are on. It sets a standard that she is used to so when you marry her this will be the "norm."

Good luck!

Pathfinder 6

· Premium Member
10,553 Posts
javerial said:
3) How much money can I spend on my new hobby before the girlfriend starts to hate me? ;D
I'm not married either but I have a good head start on you. I'll let you know how much I've spent when I get more than mild complaints :)

· Premium Member
10,553 Posts
javerial said:
I'm also eying one of the rimfire conversion kits that Kimber makes for the 1911
I hear the Marvel kits are the way to go. I don't own a conversion but my dad does and had a reason for the marvel kit over kimber. I think it was because only the back of the slide moves and not the whole thing so standard velocity ammo will run in it.

Maybe he can put his 2 cents in when he sees this.

· Registered
1,303 Posts
Good choice on a firearm, javerial!!
I've got a Kimber as well, so I know it's tack driving abilities. I also have the kimber conversion kit. To be honest, I don't use it as much as I thought I would.
I shoot Winchester white box or PMC usually. I don't reload myself, but nobody minds taking my used brass off my hands.
Good Luck.

· Registered
3,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pathfinder said:
I would suggest that if you have getting hitched to this girl plans that you stay the course you are on. It sets a standard that she is used to so when you marry her this will be the "norm."
Haha, I suppose that's one way to look at it. Unfortunately I'm starting out with having to convince her that firearms won't let themselves out of the safe and kill us while we sleep. She had never even seen a firearm up close until I bought the Kimber and grew up in an anti-gun household. She'll be ok with it as time goes by and she gets comfortable with the concept but that's where I'm starting from :(

tinker said:
I also have the kimber conversion kit. To be honest, I don't use it as much as I thought I would.
Really? I thought it would come in handy for the aforementioned reasons. It's a moot point right now because they are out of stock but I was interested to be able to practice with .22LR with the 1911 trigger. I guess I don't have to make a decision on it until they are back in inventory.

As an aside, if I did purchase such a kit would I have to inform the permit office of it or are they only interested in the frame of the firearm and the original specifications thereof? Kimber sells them direct on their website and they aren't considered firearms per-say so I'm a bit unclear as to what my legal obligations would be if I purchased one.

· Registered
1,303 Posts
javerial said:
As an aside, if I did purchase such a kit would I have to inform the permit office of it or are they only interested in the frame of the firearm and the original specifications thereof? Kimber sells them direct on their website and they aren't considered firearms per-say so I'm a bit unclear as to what my legal obligations would be if I purchased one.
I don't know how Broom County handles it. In Monroe, I've heard that if you take you receipt into the clerks office they will ammend you're permit. I don't know if you have to or not. I'm hoping someone here knows because I'm curios too.

I don't use the conversion kit alot, but I don't shoot my 1911s as much as I would like to. And since I do have a few bricks off .22 hangin around, I think I'll have to get to the range this weekend.

· Registered
918 Posts
I too married a girl from a leftist family system.

Through careful cultivation and persistence she has come to terms with the fact that they exist in her house and that is as factual and enduring as her shoe collection.

I have a kimber conversion kit.... I use it frequently. I like it. I recommend them for the cost savings as well as just getting the gun in your hands.

Its a Zen thing....... shooting cheap .22 puts the gun in you hand more frequently than most can afford to when buying.45.

This lets the feel of the grip, the muscle memory/ motor function of drawing aiming and holstering become part of your subconscious.

Its something I tell my medic students. make the muscle memory stuff of IV's and intubation a part of your subconscious so you don't have to think about it. It just happens. Spend you brain time evaluating the event that's unfolding.

Its also the basic precept (and I know this is a big "argument") regarding dry firing. Dry firing is a an excellent way to learn trigger control etc.

Pathfinder 6

· Registered
1,103 Posts
javerial said:
Well I got my permit at the end of February. Picked up the Kimber Stainless II

1. Congrats, that looks awesome!

3. I'm selling my rifle to put a down payment on a car or her engagement ring, so uh, I guess it kind of depends on where you are with her along the dating-->engagement-->married road, LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.