New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And pursuant to PL 210.45 False Statements are punishable as a crime. Fortunately all of my statements are true.

FUAC

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
My # was very close on the last night of call in....I would have made an excellent juror too, my hearing is slipping a little but I can tell if your guilty just by

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have never had to go yet, and hope I never do.
Why not? It is the one way a single citizen can really make a difference. An essential part of our Republic's structure and one of the basic ways you can make the law answerable to the people.

The first Chief Justice, John Jay, wrote: "It is presumed, that juries are the best judges of facts; it is, on the other hand, presumed that courts are the best judges of law. But still both objects are within your power of decision… you [juries] have a right to take it upon yourselves to judge both, and to determine the law as well as the fact in controversy". Georgia v. Brailsford (1794)

They've tried to thwart that power over the intervening years but what Justice Jay meant was that the citizens selected for the jury are the ultimate arbiter of both the crime AND the law.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I only have had to show up once. They were selecting for a liability suit. Guy got hurt using electric pallet jack. They weren't suing the retailer or the manufacturer but the wholesaler in the case I heard. Which after hearing I already disagreed with legitamacy of the suit. I was also really pissed because I'm self employed and was losing alot of money being there, nobody was going to pay me anything more then the pathetic $7 bucks they were giving me, which didn't even cover my gas. Got dismissed when they found out I had forklift license. Man did that day suck

·
Registered
690 Posts
Wait, you need a license to drive a forklift? Damn....
Yes and no, if working on a union site or when you work for a large company the will want it. Toy R Us paid for mine. When I was doing alot of IATSE calls it was a bonus cause if you hired as fork op that is all you do, you don't get out to do anything but change propane tanks

·
Registered
928 Posts
Why not? It is the one way a single citizen can really make a difference. An essential part of our Republic's structure and one of the basic ways you can make the law answerable to the people.

The first Chief Justice, John Jay, wrote: "It is presumed, that juries are the best judges of facts; it is, on the other hand, presumed that courts are the best judges of law. But still both objects are within your power of decision… you [juries] have a right to take it upon yourselves to judge both, and to determine the law as well as the fact in controversy". Georgia v. Brailsford (1794)

They've tried to thwart that power over the intervening years but what Justice Jay meant was that the citizens selected for the jury are the ultimate arbiter of both the crime AND the law.
Well number one it messes up my swaps at work. Number two is the judges give drug dealers more time than rapists, that really boggles my mind. Or waste a lot of time with a trial and they get probation.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well number one it messes up my swaps at work. Number two is the judges give drug dealers more time than rapists, that really boggles my mind. Or waste a lot of time with a trial and they get probation.
Yeah but here we are all bitching about the various SAFE act arrests and how unconstitutional the law is. Why anyone would want to be excluded from a potential pool of jurors in today's NY is beyond me. Sure being selected as a juror in a SAFE act case would be like winning the lotto but wouldn't you like to be the one who sticks it to Andy and upholds the Federal Constitution? Jury duty sucks! But it is an important facet of our freedom. If we all dodge that duty we might as well be judged by a tribunal of judges or another aristocratic elite.

If I got arrested for having >7 rounds in my Garand or Lee Enfield I'd much rather have one of you guys on the jury than some pinko retiree, or college professor, or welfare rat, soccer mom who "had nothing better to do."

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I just did my first stint as a juror. I play golf weekly with the ada what was working the case and they still picked me. I thought for sure that was my way out. Jury duty is the worst.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I got picked last year. This retired fellow wanted to be on the jury and they released him. I was answering every question with a question, trying everything to get the boot. I couldn't believe it when they selected me. Total waste of 8 days. I could have done this case in less than 8 hrs let alone 8 days. Bahhh!

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I got called in once. We got to the point where we were in the court room and they were going to begin jury selection when the defendant decided to settle.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have been called for jury duty twice, and picked twice. The first time the defendant plead guilty before the trial started. The second time was last January, and the case just made my stomach turn. A boyfriend raped his girlfriends son repeatedly. It was absolutely disgusting. We found him guilty and he was sentenced to 13 years. I will never look at the court system the same after that expierence.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
I want jury duty! When I first registered to vote that was my reason why. I got a notice for the first time last year, my number never came up. Bummer.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Over the course of the last 36 years of being a registered voter I've been summoned to JD twice. Both times I was willingly selected to a jury. Actually both times I was jury foreman. First time was an assault with a knife. Second time was a car accident.

I think it's important for us to represent the level headed members of society.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts