New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few months back about a Springfield service grade I picked up from CMP. It was WWII dated serial and in nice condition. I have been wanting a mini-g for some time but shuffs was sold out for the next year. He was still available to do conversions though so that was why I bought he CMP service grade. Anyways I only sent the rifle out to shuff 2 weeks ago and he said it would take 20-40 days for conversion. Well I guess he is ahead of schedule as my rifle came back today!

I have not gotten a chance to shoot it yet but I have to say this is a beautiful thing!!!! I had him reparkarize the entire rifle. I also had a new 308 barrel installed and adjustable gas system. He test fired it and got it all setup. This thing outta have a mean bark. Best part is that its a lot handier then a full size garand as this has only has a 16.25" barrel. I call this the FUAC rifle!!!! If you wanna take away my ar's that shoot wimpy 22 cal boolits then ill just build 308 battle rifles.

Only thing I wanna do to this setup is remove the rear sight and install a hopco mount and mini red dot to really make this thing handy. Oh yea and a break eventually but I wanted to shoot it 1st.

Link to picture gallery of hopco mount and red dot.
Picture Gallery

Fullsize CMP Special 308 and the Mini-G 308

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
WOW! Those are both beautiful rifles I see the makings of an extremely fun day at the range and one raw shoulder.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Very nice - good luck with it. Please give us a range report when you get a chance to shoot it. A Garand is definitely on my wish list.

·
Registered
581 Posts
That is just beautiful Power Slave!!
I can't remember if I subscribed to your original post on this but I'm going to try to find it. I have two M1's and would love to do the conversion on one.
Thanks for the thread!
Respects, Pedro.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Nice man.... real nice..... Always wanted a SoCom II.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice man.... real nice..... Always wanted a SoCom II.
This is basically one. Except you can have all the features you want and only lose a 2 round capacity since we are limited to 10 anyways.

I think this might be a little cheaper also and you get history. The rifle was $650 from cmp then I paid $780 for conversion. $1,430 for finished product.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Really nice looking rifle.

I was looking at Shuff's Mini-G, but I also wanted the conversion to use M-14 mags. By that point, though, it was well out of my budget.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
At first I was like NOOO dont ruin a classic. I'm not the type to care about dime a dozen Mosins and other foreign rifles, but there is a special place in my heart for old American service rifles.

Then I saw the pictures, and realized that its anything but ruined. Looks like a handy package and a helluva nice rifle. Really impressed.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
At first I was like NOOO dont ruin a classic. I'm not the type to care about dime a dozen Mosins and other foreign rifles, but there is a special place in my heart for old American service rifles.

Then I saw the pictures, and realized that its anything but ruined. Looks like a handy package and a helluva nice rifle. Really impressed.
Your not the only one who thought it was gonna get ruined. Its a very handy package with that 16" barrel over the full size Garand. I cant wait to shoot it but unfortunately it's gotta wait till this next weekend. The best part is it is 100% reversible. I have the original barrel and hand guard piece here that came off the rifle. It was a service grade so it was mix and match parts anyways even though the receiver is WWII dated. It can be put back to just as original as I got it easily.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Very, very, very cool! I wanna hear a range report, especially interested in what the muzzle blast is like. That will be quite the attention getter at any range.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Your not the only one who thought it was gonna get ruined. Its a very handy package with that 16" barrel over the full size Garand. I cant wait to shoot it but unfortunately it's gotta wait till this next weekend. The best part is it is 100% reversible. I have the original barrel and hand guard piece here that came off the rifle. It was a service grade so it was mix and match parts anyways even though the receiver is WWII dated. It can be put back to just as original as I got it easily.
I had the same sentiments as Cor_man, and you made a believer out of me also! Did they supply a new (shorter) op rod?
Respects, Pedro.

·
Banned
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had the same sentiments as Cor_man, and you made a believer out of me also! Did they supply a new (shorter) op rod?
Respects, Pedro.
He takes your op-rod, shortens it and bends it to his specific dimensions. I'm on with it because it's not a parts matching rifle and it's easy to just replace the op- rod. Only modified part.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I'll bet that thing is as quiet as a field mouse when fired...

xD

1 - 20 of 26 Posts