New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got into bow fishing for carp recently, got my first 1 today. Went out a couple weeks ago with my dad and his friend and they were letting me shoot their bows (I missed every shot I took), I went home and ordered a PSE Kingfisher set up that night. Got out today with it and had a blast.

securedownload.jpg

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Nice!!

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
NIce! Congrats on getting your first one. Is this something you just need fishing license for?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NIce! Congrats on getting your first one. Is this something you just need fishing license for?
NYS DEC- BowfishingAny person who has a fishing license or a small game hunting license or is entitled to fish without a license may take carp of any size and in any number by longbow (recurve or compound) from May 15 through September 30 from any water of the state where fishing and the discharge of a bow is permitted. Taking fish by bow is otherwise prohibited.

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
Congrats! It's a really fun sport.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Nice, I've always wanted to try this.

I wonder if these guys sell any equipment for bowfishing?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
First off, that's awesome! Congrats.

Newbie question, how do you "bait" them (i.e., get them to come up to the boat)? Throw chum in the water and wait, lol. Serious question as I just don't know. Also, do you tie a line to the arrow? Looks very cool.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nice! I unfortunately tried this same thing last year... I say unfortunate because I ended up falling off the boat while drawing the bow and shooting the boat sometime in between falling and splashing... My father was not pleased but it was a great, expensive laugh lol.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
very cool! Bow fishing is something I have always wanted to try.

·
Registered
241 Posts
nice carp.about 20 lbs? where did you go the basha kill? i use to do it alot in muscoot res in westchester ,still got a nice carp set up on an oneida eagle bow maybe we can hook up so time

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First off, that's awesome! Congrats.

Newbie question, how do you "bait" them (i.e., get them to come up to the boat)? Throw chum in the water and wait, lol. Serious question as I just don't know. Also, do you tie a line to the arrow? Looks very cool.
Just troll and float along and look for them swimming in the water (usually catch um in about 2-5 feet of water), as long as your quiet and don't make a lot of movement you can get pretty close. There are a few ways to set up but mine is a recurve bow with a "reel" (just a big spool, not an actual reel) attached to the front where the stabilizer would go. My arrows have a safety slide, this slides along the fiberglass arrow and is attached with line to the reel, it hits a stop at the back of the arrow so it doesn't come off.

this is basically the kit I have.
PSE Kingfisher Bowfishing Recurve Bow Kit, Bowfishing, Archery, Hunting : Cabela's

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nice carp.about 20 lbs? where did you go the basha kill? i use to do it alot in muscoot res in westchester ,still got a nice carp set up on an oneida eagle bow maybe we can hook up so time
It was actually out of the walkill river, around montgomery almost walden area. I didn't weigh it but I think 10lbs tops, didn't have to deep of a belly. Should def. try and get out one day, I want to try swinging bridge I know there are big carp in there I just don't know of any spots they hang out off hand. Would have to do some recon one day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts