New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
For NYS and it being preban you got a good deal lol. I want to apologize in advance if I come off the wrong way with this next part. You didn't buy a preban just to use preban mags right? You can use preban mags in any rifle in NYS. Since you got a preban 10/22 though you can use the cool after market stocks with collapsible butt stocks and all the other cool stuff.

· Registered
2,107 Posts
hell of a deal compared to the one in the FS section for $500. There are several on gunbroker that seem to sell at the 190-215 mark which seems like the reasonable going rate.

· Registered
1,559 Posts
hell of a deal compared to the one in the FS section for $500. There are several on gunbroker that seem to sell at the 190-215 mark which seems like the reasonable going rate.
very true. I recently purchased a 1987 10/22 for $189 on gunbroker. It was mint and shipped in a new hard case. I put it in the archangel nomad kit. The nomad kit is well made and works well. My only complaint is the huge fake magazine for 10 rd compliance. it simulates a 40 rd mag and adds liek 2 lbs to the gun. regular 10/22 mags will work but look odd on the G36 look alike unless you purcase the magazine sleeves.

· Registered
4,629 Posts
I gave $210.00 tax included at the Saratoga Gun Show in Jan of 2011with 1 mag for a 1975 model and was happy with that you did well on yours with 3 mags $11.49 when on sale at Midway USA Have FUN with your Build!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
229 Posts
I built a pre-ban 10/22 a few years ago. Put it in a Nordic Components stock (essentially the same as the Ruger SR-22) so I have a collapsible stock. Also put a threaded lightweight Tactical Solutions bull barrel with the matching compensator screwed onto the end. It is a great rifle - fun to shoot and to show off. I upgraded the trigger with a new Volquartsen hammer, put in a new extractor and magazine release (also Nordic Components) and mounted a red-dot and flip up Magpul sights. Now it is one of my favorite rifles!

Nordic Components firearms accessories

Cabela's: Tactical Solutions 10/22 Barrels

Cabela's: Tactical Solutions 10/22 Picatinny Scope Rail and Compensator

· Registered
4,147 Posts
One of my 10/22's I have had for a long time. This thread made me realize it could be preban though I had never even considered that possibility. For some reason that thought just never crossed my mind. So I just grabbed it out of the safe, checked the serial number against an online reference guide, and shazam - it's a 1989. Guess it's time to buy some preban goodies for it!

· Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You didn't buy a preban just to use preban mags right? You can use preban mags in any rifle in NYS. Since you got a preban 10/22 though you can use the cool after market stocks with collapsible butt stocks and all the other cool stuff.
Oh I intend to have it as a side folder, though that G36C kit is insane....that might make the cut also as the rifle was cheap enough to start

· Registered
119 Posts
Oh I intend to have it as a side folder, though that G36C kit is insane....that might make the cut also as the rifle was cheap enough to start
I guess I don't understand the "Preban" perspective with the 10/22. I understand preban magazines, but because the rifle was made before a certain date, you can add preban features to it? Doesn't make sense to me, unless the aftermarket parts were preban too.

This is not my area of expertise, and I am curious.

Thanks,
DW

· Registered
9,724 Posts
I guess I don't understand the "Preban" perspective with the 10/22. I understand preban magazines, but because the rifle was made before a certain date, you can add preban features to it? Doesn't make sense to me, unless the aftermarket parts were preban too.

This is not my area of expertise, and I am curious.

Thanks,
DW
What Ray said. The receiver needs to be made before 1994. Many people want the preban 10/22's so they can add on folding stocks, stocks with pistol grips, movable buttstocks and so on. They can buy these stocks brand new as well since companies still sell them in free states. This basically allows you to have the "evil" features currently banned here in NY. The 10/22 is the most easily accessorized .22 out there and they can be made to be tacticool BUT only if it's a preban 10/22. Otherwise you're limited to what stocks can be put on and what most do to newer 10/22's is put on a .920" heavy barrel which is a great upgrade BUT ... the tacticool features cannot be added to those newer guns.

· Registered
528 Posts
The ten round box mags are hard to use with the Archangel G36K kit since the mag well is pretty deep. If the mag hangs up at all, it will be a pain to get out (also to insert).

I'd recommend at least the ten round banana style magazines if you don't go with the Archangel 10 rounders.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.