New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, more of a small step than a stand. My Android device has always been fully encrypted, along with a feature called WhisperPush which encrypts all text messages sent from the phone. That's thanks however to running a custom "ROM" (based from Android, of course) which builds in those features and doesn't leave back doors open, as do many of the mainstream wireless providers with their bloated "commercialized" variants of Android. So at least I can make it more difficult for the gov't to get their grubby hands on data stored within my phone. However, the best practice in terms of smart phone use is don't store private data, send anything shady, or do anything from the phone that would be an embarrassment if it wound up in the newspaper or on some 13-yr old's website (or worse yet, implicate you in a crime).

FBI concerned about Apple, Google encryption - CNN.com

CNN said:
Washington (CNN) -- Apple and Google have won praise from privacy proponents for efforts to encrypt their latest smartphones in a way that would prevent law enforcement from accessing certain private data. The FBI, not so much.

Federal Bureau of Investigation Director James Comey told reporters Thursday that the agency is talking to both companies to raise concerns that their privacy efforts could hinder criminal investigations.

Apple last week touted that with release of its latest operating system iOS8, it no longer could bypass the smartphone user passwords.

"So it's not technically feasible for us to respond to government warrants for the extraction of this data from devices in their possession running iOS 8," Apple said in a blog post.

Google quickly followed suit, saying it already had such technology in phones running its Android operating system, but that "as part of our next Android release, encryption will be enabled by default out of the box, so you won't even have to think about turning it on."

Comey said that he was "very concerned" that the companies were "marketing something expressly to allow people to place themselves above the law."
"Above the law."??!??! Well, there we have it folks, a gov't bureaucrat has blatantly admitted that our "right to privacy" is no longer a right. Truth is, that "right" vanished a long time ago. Back to sleep, America.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Does anyone really know what the Android software is doing? I mean every single program / instruction?
In order to encrypt and stop all synchning, don't you have to root the phone to do that?

Google is starting to suck even more as their bloated packages along with the carriers software plus everyone else have
one single objective: To harvest everything out of your phone.
On top 90% of the apps do not work. At least apple has some QC but they are all the same.

And folks worry about NSA? ...they are giving all their privacy away to everyone with an app and a database.

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,589 Posts
I have a new thought...I used to hope when I died I would get a free pass to know what actually occurred in all those famous mysteries. Now I also would like a glance at every watch list I was on and specifically which provocative sarcastic thing I said caused it. And if anyone who put my on those lists thought I was a risk to anything but my home improvement projects.
/anyone know what kind of paint they use on kitchen cabinets? if I perhaps need to repaint a giant ding in one. No reason. Just curious.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Does anyone really know what the Android software is doing? I mean every single program / instruction?
In order to encrypt and stop all synchning, don't you have to root the phone to do that?

Google is starting to suck even more as their bloated packages along with the carriers software plus everyone else have
one single objective: To harvest everything out of your phone.
On top 90% of the apps do not work. At least apple has some QC but they are all the same.

And folks worry about NSA? ...they are giving all their privacy away to everyone with an app and a database.
My God.. I have tears.. someone else gets it..

I'm going to go hug my BlackBerry Z10.. brb... lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts