New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Sense I just got issued my permit yesterday, now starts my shopping spree on my first handgun. For the last 6-8 months I've done my research and come to the conclusion I want a Smith & Wesson M&P .40 caliber. The cheapest I've found is about $530 at my local Gander Mountain here in Cicero, I'm just wondering if there's elsewhere I should check or anyone else knows of a cheaper price.

· Registered
2,130 Posts
Hey everyone,
Sense I just got issued my permit yesterday, now starts my shopping spree on my first handgun. For the last 6-8 months I've done my research and come to the conclusion I want a Smith & Wesson M&P .40 caliber. The cheapest I've found is about $530 at my local Gander Mountain here in Cicero, I'm just wondering if there's elsewhere I should check or anyone else knows of a cheaper price.
It took you until now to shop for a handgun? I'm still waiting on my permit and I've purchased two....

I'd stay away from gander for pistols. They generally seem overpriced. I'd go to a local gun shop. I've seen some new locally for 475.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Support your local gun shops, or there won't be any. Gander is consistently overpriced but I've heard you can find a good deal occasionally. Online is the price to beat, especially considering no sales tax.

· Rochester Personal Defense
193 Posts
Agree with Scotchman.
Shop your local gun-shops, build a relationship with a good one.
Local gun-shops make a living on good service, and experience, the people at the big box stores are $8 and hour folks that may or may not have experience. The local gun-shop has to give you good advice and service or they won't stay in business. The bigbox store knows there will be another customer in a minute.

That said if you know what you're looking at you sometimes find good deals on a used gun at a box store but you have to know what it's worth.

Can any one familiar with Onondaga County give Picaflic a reference to a good shop?

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know Tim's Gun's in Elbridge was like $30 or so more then Gander Mountain, I was thinking of calling them, to see if they'd price match, I'd rather give them the $.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.