New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
i have a EP lower. every so often they have a sale on blem ones. I have a green blem that i got for $35, which i kind of jumped on. my issue was the finish and the pins to the upper did not align up right. if you are looking for something cheap get a EP lower. if you are looking for something better get the James Madison Tactical one, or a aluminum one.

the good thing about the EP lower is you can do it yourself with a dremel. it will look aweful when you are done, but for $35 for a blem, or $50 for a good one, its not bad.

i would suggust use a real milling machine. not a drill press or a dremel. it will come out better.

i plan to replace my EP lower with something better as i am just not happy with it, but it was a blem so that could be why.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Gunparts also has some good ones. they are cheap i just finished up 2 so they GTG INMHO so they also have a jig that works quick and easy

·
Registered
145 Posts
Manufacturers are adding carbon fiber bars to the newer poly lowers to reinforce the point around the buffer tower, where the rear-takedown pin sits in it's channel. This channel, along with the rear take-down hole create a weak point that literally breaks the stock off of the AR.

because of this, I could never get on board with the older ones. The newer reinforced ones I'd like to try.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
An 80% is not a firearm. Perfectly legal to produce and sell 80% lowers. As far as the BATF is concerned it's a paper weight that looks like a receiver..
Correct. I am aware.

I hope I misunderstood his post. "A friend and I are going to start making some 80% lowers to sell in a month or so :) going to be billet lowers"

I understand making 80% complete receivers from stock is legal, as it isn't a receiver.

Completing an 80% receiver to 100% and selling it is a whole 'nother story.

I read his post as: "My friend and I plan on ordering some 80% receivers, completing and selling them."

That's NOT legal.

Buying raw forgings, completing them to 80% and selling them: Legal.

Unless you have modern, high speed machines, the forgings and anodizing cost almost as much as the 80%ers... hard to make $$$ on them otherwise.

I'm a machinist by trade. I'm looking at a toolbox full of raw forgings that are 0% complete.... The shop's lawyer said "no", unless for your own use.

If they have an FFL and really good liability insurance, they're GTG.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Correct. I am aware.

I hope I misunderstood his post. "A friend and I are going to start making some 80% lowers to sell in a month or so :) going to be billet lowers"

I understand making 80% complete receivers from stock is legal, as it isn't a receiver.

Completing an 80% receiver to 100% and selling it is a whole 'nother story.

I read his post as: "My friend and I plan on ordering some 80% receivers, completing and selling them."

That's NOT legal.

Buying raw forgings, completing them to 80% and selling them: Legal.

Unless you have modern, high speed machines, the forgings and anodizing cost almost as much as the 80%ers... hard to make $$$ on them otherwise.

I'm a machinist by trade. I'm looking at a toolbox full of raw forgings that are 0% complete.... The shop's lawyer said "no", unless for your own use.

If they have an FFL and really good liability insurance, they're GTG.
Yeah you misunderstood. They will be making a bunch of 80% billet lowers and selling them as 80%.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.