New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to go out hunting all the time with my dad when I was younger. But then came working in retail and that all went by the wayside since there is no such thing as weekends off. Now that I have a new job, I am planning on getting back out there this season with him. Unfortunately, my hunting suit that was warm as could be no longer fits. I made a quick trip to Wally world and they didn't seem to have anything that looked to actually be warm.

So I come to you guys for some suggestions. I loved my 1 piece suit... it repelled plenty of water, and most importantly kept me toasty warm even when sitting in the dead of winter for hours on end. I'd love to pick up another one, but obviously if there is better stuff out there I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
9 Posts
Oh man, oh man !!!! Hate how those hunting outfits shrink. If you're in Albany, forget Wally and hop over to Dick's @ Crossgates.. Pretty good selection in stock. Just say'n.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll admit, there was no shrinking of the suit... it was just me 'adding extra layers'.. lol. I'll have to check Dick's out... I just hate their prices sometimes. Gotta pay to play I guess though.

· Registered
869 Posts
The options are pretty much endless now a days...

I have a one-piece that i used once or twice and it just didn't work well for me as I tend to get hot quick when i'm walking. Now i just stick with either bibs or pants and a jacket. on the bottom I start with under armor then a pair of sweat pants then my pants/bibs. For the top half I use under armor then a t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, sweater/hoodie, then jacket. I usually pack my jacket and sweat shirt in a back pack until i get to my stand and put them on once i start getting cold.

· Registered
13,297 Posts
Not to get too personal but what size are you looking for? If you're into Retro I've got a never worn pant and jacket with a woodland green pattern in Blaze Orange that still has my 1987-88 big game tag on it as well as the tags from the store, lol. Jacket has a little dust on it. Pants look like they just came off the rack. Seems it shrunk for me too, lol. Size Large. Free to good home.... I can post pics if you (or anyone else) is interested.

· Registered
522 Posts
WOW i just came here to make this thread after perusing clothing at gander online for an hour

· Registered
522 Posts
so is the current trend bibs w/ jacket or is a one piece still in style?

I am a big guy 6'3 280lbs.. need xxl to xxxl stuff so should i be looking at bibs w/ jacket being a bigger guy? or would a regular pants / jacket combo be better for a rotund figure?

as far as keeping warm is concerned i assume its same priorities as snowboarding. start warm and shed layers as necessary. thermals are okay instead of underarmor.

· Registered
6,189 Posts
I wear coveralls, but I'm debating going to bibs. Coveralls are great because you don't get that exposed space at the small of your back when your jacket rides up. The bibs/jacket, I think, are better because you can open the jacket and get more air flow when you're moving around, keeping you from getting too warm. That too warm/sweating will make you FREEZE when you stop to sit.

· Registered
522 Posts
my thoughts as well.

· Registered
261 Posts
Coverall, Bibs, 2-piece, it all depends on your style of hunting. Coverall & Bibs make it difficult to layer properly if you'll be hunting the ADK's and bushwhacking the mountains. But, if your style is to hike minimally and sit watch for hours without movement then Coveralls or Bibs might be good for you. Personally, I am a wool guy from head to toe once November hits.

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea, I'm not too worried about feet. I always wear wool socks and I have my nice Bates Gore-tex boots that are just plain awesome. Even when getting stuck in a torrential downpour on my motorcycle, my feet stayed 100% dry. Now to just figure out the rest of my body... lol.

· Registered
522 Posts
Outer wear sizing... found a great deal on the russels..... should i buy stuff a size bigger to account for layering or does this kind of atuff run bigger naturally to account for layering?

· Registered
17 Posts
Outer wear sizing... found a great deal on the russels..... should i buy stuff a size bigger to account for layering or does this kind of atuff run bigger naturally to account for layering?
I would try to keep layering into account. Russell does not. I purchased one size bigger. If you are still unsure, try finding a pair of pants or which ever clothing type you plan to buy in a store prior to buying over the net.

· Registered
3 Posts
I purchased Artic Shield clothing (bibs and jacket) for my wife and I. They may have seemed pricey but I tell you she hasn't been cold since the purchase, well worth the $. We have the H7 series and I would recommend Artic Shield to everyone!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.