New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Architecture Font Triangle Rectangle Line

First shot at 200 yds. Right after this shot the wind picked up and group wasn't that impressive. I ended up with a 2.5" group with 10 rounds.

I stepped out to 300 yds. I had a hard time with the wind but after about 15 rounds the wind died down and my last 3 shot group was impressive.
Font Triangle Parallel Advertising Pattern

I can't wait to try 600 yds. If that goes well I might have access to a 1000 yd shot the distance still has to be verified. I also will have to grab or make some sort steel gong target for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Nice. Buy the man a cigar! Rifle? Caliber?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a savage 308 fcp. I had problems with it early in and had to send it back to the factory it's been a dream ever since then. It's topped off with a millet 4-16 . I wish I had went with a more expensive scope now but it gets the job done.

Wood Cabinetry Air gun Interior design Houseplant

Attachments

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Nice results. Savage has come a long way with quality.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was my first savage and I'm not overly impressed tell you the truth. I wouldn't mind having a cheap axis for deer hunting but as far as a bench gun or police sniper rifle as it's advertised. I'm not sold on it. My next long distance rifle will be a 338 lapua. I have a friend that has one in the same savage model as mine. He says the same thing as I do not overly impressed with it and will be looking for a different rifle soon.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what do you not like about it? It seems like under $750 for a varmint fluted and threaded barrel in a decent stock is a good value. I am not wild about the stock - it is an odd choice for a heavy 24" barrel, more like what would be typical on a carried hunting rifle, not one typically used off rests or a bipod.

How much load development did you do with it? A little over 1 MOA at 200 is not world class, but not bad for 10 rounds either. I am curious since I have a Savage 12 on the way and by most accounts the long varmint barrel Savages shoot pretty well for a gun in their price range.

What did you use for target backer? Those are some strange looking holes - tearing across a hole here and there is nothing, but nearly all those holes almost look like the bullet is starting to tumble.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like you said the stock doesn't suit the rifle at all. If you look at the picture you will see I raised up the comb by using an adjustable pad made by Black Hawk. I don't have the proper rings on the scope so that's a part of the problem too, no fault of the rifle. The problem with the rifle is almost what you pointed out what is the role of it? It's pretty heavy to be walking around for varmints. Its accuracy is good for the price of the gun but definitely lacking compared to a dedicated bench rifle. Looking back on it I wish I had bought 2 different rifles instead of this one. Money wise I think its a good rifle just not the right fit for me.

The load development is a long story about why I had to send it back to the factory, but I'll give the shortened version. The load is 165 sierra game kings, with 42.5 or 43.5 (I can't remember off of the top of my head) in Winchester brass and CCI large rifle primers. COAL was determined by chambering a loose bullet in an empty casing and setting it back a little bit (I don't remember how much). I did a ladder test at 100yds at the beginning of the summer. this was too close for this rifle. It did tell me 2 things it didn't like the top 2 loads and the bottom 2 loads. The rest of the charges you could have put a dime over them. So chose to go with the middle charge. I'm still planning on doing another ladder test at 200yds and see what I find out. But I haven't made it to the range a lot this year and just want to get some trigger time in.

The backer is what the provide at the range it seems to be some sort of grey fiber board. The holes in the backer are true so the bullet isn't tumbling. I think my paper is just loose allowing for it to pull the paper into the hole and tear some.

Hopefully this all makes sense I got interrupted a lot writing this and kept having to come back to it.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll have to pull out the manual I never knew something like that was in there. But to answer your question I doubt I have ever ran the suggested ammo through it the old factory ammo that gun has seen was during the break in process. After that it was all reloads.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts