New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,758 Posts

· Registered
4,955 Posts
I think so,but it is legal to use in NY I think...its the bare minimum caliber you can use in PA for deer!
I'd be surprised if anyone is hunting deer in PA in .223 caliber. They don't allow semi-autos for deer hunting in PA, and bolt/pump action AR-15's aren't exactly common.

Do a search for .223 and deer hunting in the forum, I know this subject has been debated extensively here in the past. With good enough shot placement I'm sure one could argue that smaller calibers are adequate. However, I've read a number of times in several places that the .223 was designed primarily to wound.

:beathorse:

· Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"However, I've read a number of times in several places that the .223 was designed primarily to wound."

Your thinking of the FMJ 55 gr ammo...It might also include the 62gr FMJ....the thinking on these rounds was if the enimey was only wounded, it would slow down the entire force...making them deal with their wounded..

· Registered
11,402 Posts
The .224 caliber is limited in hunting selection. The issue is not the caliber but the terminal ballistics design.
The barnes 70gr TSX bullet is pretty good on deer, pigs and black bear. It needs a 1:8 rate to properly stabilize. The 62gr, and 55gr TSX are good ones too. Any TSX in any caliber and grain are brutal.

.223rem on the left, 6x45 on the right...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.