New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the assumption that there is no board rule against talking about our relationship with God and in response to a board member's inquiry in the Biblical Self Defense thread I am starting a thread to talk about how God has answered prayer. Feel free to join in if you have a story to share of God's grace and mercy in your life. I'll begin with a very brief version of this story and add several more later. When I was a teenager I was dating a girl who was lovely from another town (I'll call her K). She was the best friend to a girl in my school (M) who was dating my best friend. M and I went to the same school. Our significant others went to other schools. Eventually I began to have feelings for M. In honor of my best friend I could not act on them. There is no way I would betray my friend to poach on his girlfriend. Especially when I had a girl already. At wits end on how to honorably resolve it, knowing that it was beyond my power to resolve on my own - I prayed "Dear God, if it is within your will please act in this however you feel is right, I leave it in your hands." Within one week I had received a letter from my girl asking to change our exclusive relationship to one where "we could see other people" and M had broken up with my friend. She was a free agent. My friend was no longer in a relationship with her. My girl had basically asked for an out of our relationship and I had agreed. I asked M out. She accepted. 5 years later we were married and we remain married over for over 20 years. I took no action to end my relationship with K. I took no action to end the relationship with M and my best friend (we are still friends). There is no explanation to my mind except God's direct answer to my plea for help. I'll add another example of God's grace and mercy in my life tomorrow.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
post deleted for not even being close to on topic.

I just want to add that open discussion on this topic is fine, just be mindful of rules and I think everyone can respect each others opinions on this subject matter.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Ok fine then, I'll address it directly.

What you have demonstrated is an argument from ignorance fallacy, "There is no other explanation in my mind" is a textbook definition of that. Because you cannot think of a reason, does not make the reason you invented any more true. It's also an example of "selective bias." How many thousands of cancer patients pray to be cured? Or more appropriately how many deceased ones? This is common with religion as well as psychics and all manner of supernatural arts. Focus on the times the coincidences work out for you and ignore the times they do not. Scars actually posted a nice video in the other thread about Lincoln and Kennedy involving such coincidences.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Classic argument from ignorance. I don't know, therefore god. Your lack of imagination isn't proof that a god exists. You're going to have to do much better than that.

Also - children are starving and dying somewhere in this world...but god said "meh" and spent his time hooking you up. He sure can prioritize!

As I said in the other thread, if your god is "all knowing" then he already knows what's going to happen, and he's already made up his mind about what he's going to do. He already made up his mind about you and that girl. So prayer is completely useless.

Last but not least -

Why Won't God Heal Amputees?

Why has god never, in our recorded history, healed an amputee?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
The Almighty ALWAYS answers bro. I am living prove.

·
Registered
662 Posts
There is really no need to counter your post or spar with you for that matter. You obviously have your beliefs which you are entitled to, others and I have theirs. I see nothing wrong with this, and as for liking Robin's post, I do and I would like it twice, I agree with him that god should bless groovy mike and YOU as well.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I really don't know what to write that won't stir up some argument or even hatred from the other side so...

GroovyMike, if that's where your walk with the Lord is, then that's awesome. :) I pray that you continue in His everlasting love.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Ok fine then, I'll address it directly.

What you have demonstrated is an argument from ignorance fallacy, "There is no other explanation in my mind" is a textbook definition of that. Because you cannot think of a reason, does not make the reason you invented any more true. It's also an example of "selective bias." How many thousands of cancer patients pray to be cured? Or more appropriately how many deceased ones? This is common with religion as well as psychics and all manner of supernatural arts. Focus on the times the coincidences work out for you and ignore the times they do not. Scars actually posted a nice video in the other thread about Lincoln and Kennedy involving such coincidences.
How do you know the similarities between Lincoln and Kennedy are a coincidence? Can you prove it so or are you just assuming?

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
This just sounds like an atheist vs believer bull****. There are people who just use "God" for when things go bad. This kind of what it sounds like. Keep dividing the masses.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Dirty mods are dirty.
Please God .... allow me to afford a bar of soap so that I may cleanse myself of the dirty dirt that is spoken of above. I don't want to be a dirty mod because .... well I'm dirty!! I have a dirt floor so I suppose it's to be expected, but that may be one of them there coincidences that TS speaks of as well. Amen.

OK ... I've posted a prayer ... let's see what happens. (I swear to God that if one of you SOB's sends me a bar of "Dove" soap I'm gonna peck your eyes out and crap in your eye sockets!!!)

·
Registered
620 Posts
I would like to share a recent experience that happened less than a year ago, I have had plenty of miracles in my life but this is the one that gives me chills down the hair on my neck.

One day last September I was helping instruct a firearms class, we just finished lunch and we all were hot and tired. One of the students collapsed face first into the grass, when I rolled him over his eyes were empty and had no pulse, after giving him CPR for over 12 minutes with no positive result , I paused and looked to the sky and asked , Please God Help me to save this man. Within seconds I got a light pulse and a gag. Cleared his airway and continued CPR, his color started to come back and the ambulance arrived. The medics Took over and this man was talking before he left in ambulance. This man Had a massive coronary arrest and I was told by the medics and his Doctor that the odds of anyone living threw such a ordeal are slim to none. He has made a complete recovery.
I have always had my faith since childhood and have had faith encounters before but this one is the most clear to me that there is a higher power.
GOD BLESS

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I am not sure where I stand with God if there is one but I have never thought to intrude in someone's belief and I think this anti God ,anti religion and anti religious symbols (like mangers) is not only idiotic but also against what made America great.

One thing I do know is when I was younger my Mom & Dad ,Aunts/Uncles and all their friends had a rule about talking about God, religion and politics DONT DO IT!!!!
jim

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Well this athiest's prayer has been answered, that's for sure! It is nice to finally see some very welcome, long-overdue red ink in this thread.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts