New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy mentioned this at the range last night, so I tried and did find this in The Daily Beast.

Though Glock Inc. is doing quite well—it supplies U.S. police with two-thirds of their firearms and dominates the civilian handgun market—the gun maker is currently a frontrunner for a newly announced military contract to replace the Army’s current primary pistol, the 9mm Beretta.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Any word on model/caliber? Or if they're actually serious this time? They seem to have been teasing the idea for quite some time but haven't actually made any real steps toward the change. My guess is that if they were going to make the change, it would be to a glock 17/19.

Personally, I'd like to see the military use a U.S. company for the contract. I think the M&P line would be more than sufficient after they update that horrible trigger on it. I think they should specifically use the M&P 45, since they're stuck with ball ammo.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Any word on model/caliber? Or if they're actually serious this time? They seem to have been teasing the idea for quite some time but haven't actually made any real steps toward the change. My guess is that if they were going to make the change, it would be to a glock 17/19.

Personally, I'd like to see the military use a U.S. company for the contract. I think the M&P line would be more than sufficient after they update that horrible trigger on it. I think they should specifically use the M&P 45, since they're stuck with ball ammo.
This was my first thought. They've mentioned switching sidearms and the M4 every now and then, and nothing ever comes of it. Even if they did, my guess is that it would be a gradual change; I doubt they could afford to change everything overnight, anyway, especially when in recent memory they couldn't even afford body armor for every soldier.

The M&P would be a pretty cool choice from a US manufacturer, though. I am, however, surprised they'd think of going to a polymer-framed pistol, given how abused some M9s are.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
I don't think the US Military has ever had a standard issue weapon with no external safety (aside from revolvers of course). So I wonder if they would require Glock to produce a model with a safety.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
I had to look that one up. I had no idea.

Thumb-Safety Glock « Forgotten Weapons
One of the more revolutionary and innovative features of the Glock series of handguns is in their signature slogan "GLOCK Safe Action". This is based on the fact that although there is no external hand operated safety device, there are three internal ones: trigger safety, firing pin safety, and sear safety. This has paved the way in modern day handgun designs to put the responsibility of firearms handling upon the user and not on an arbitrary lever. There is also the tactical requirement of readily getting the gun into action. But was there ever even an experimental Glock made with an external safety? During the initial Austrian Army trials of 1982, the Army wasn't used to the fact that a military weapon could be issued without an external safety. So the Army requested a trial pistol with one and sure enough, Glock produced one for them to examine. The conclusion was that it was not needed, but one of these pistols exists today in the National Firearms Center, Leeds, England. Formally known as the MoD Pattern room, the author found this external safety Glock in one of the handgun drawers. The pistol has a newer magazine with extended floorplate so the original magazine must have been mismatched.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I don't think the US Military has ever had a standard issue weapon with no external safety (aside from revolvers of course). So I wonder if they would require Glock to produce a model with a safety.
100% correct. A safety is a major requirement for military firearms in order to conform with military weapons conditions. IE Conditon 1, 2, and 3. What the OP heard is just rumor. It may very well be the case for Special Forces since they have their own rules and guidelines but not for the military as a whole.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
The military has announced a round of trials for the side arm contract. If the sidearms cannot be made in the US they will not get the contract. That is why Beretta set up their US manufacturing plant. I don't see the M9 going away just yet especially after the Army just ordered 20K of them in 2014.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I thought I heard that there was a clause in the contract that prohibited a Polymer weapon? That would exclude Glock.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I swear i see troops (national guard) in Penn Station and other places around town with Glocks on their sides. Ive wondered about it before actually. Maybe they are the pilot program?

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
Ubama's leaning towards Hi-Points. I bet the douche won't allow the M9's to hit the civilian market, way too scary sounding.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I swear i see troops (national guard) in Penn Station and other places around town with Glocks on their sides. Ive wondered about it before actually. Maybe they are the pilot program?
When I was deployed the SEALs, Army Special Forces, the Airfoce Special Forces and Recon Marines were carrying Glocks, Sigs and 1911s, I did see a few SEALs carrying the M9 but it was rare.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts

Actually, S&W has partnered up with General Dynamics to field a contender so you may get your wish to see an M&P make the cut. Trials start in January with the winner to begin delivery in 2017.

General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems and Smith & Wesson To Partner on Army Handgun Project

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
So it's time to pretend to entertain ideas for a new sidearm and then cut off funding halfway through trials and stick with the M9 anyway again, eh?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts