I dont know what generation to buy.
I have herd good and bad things about both,
I guess some people think the older Gen's(1/2) are better

Also read that the 4th Gen had a good amount of problems

help me make a educated decision

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Well the sub-compact glocks in 9/40 are the 26 and 27. Typically, unless you find some older used ones, people decide between Gen 3 and 4. I'm not even sure 26/27 was around for Gen 2. That would be personal preference. I have a Gen 3 26 in 9mm and it is great, but I haven't handled the Gen 4 ones.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My friend had a gen3 26, he was out shooting guys with full sized 9mm pistols in a local combat match. I have G19 and love it, the G17 grip angle was a little weird for me.

M1-TA

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
I'm a fan of gens 2 + 3

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have a Gen2 G22 that I love and a Gen4 G17. I am not a big fan of the Gen4 17, not sure what it is but don't care for it. I have shot a Gen3 G27 and absolutely loved it. I'm considering buying the SF G36 for next buy. I have a drop in barrel for the G22 for the .357sig which is a sweet round.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have a g4 19 and it's fine. There are some release notes about barrel springs (if you happen to get the wrong one) but I thought that only applied to the g19 barrels, i could be wrong though.

Got a buddy who has the sub-compact .40 (27?) and it's a nice lil gun overall, but honestly, if you have big hands, it's not for you as you'd have to buy the mag extension to even get your pinky on there AND it feels just as heavy as the 19 (website says 560 dry, 765 loaded for the 27, and 600/865 for the 19 -- and 100g more is only noticeable when dealing drugs, lol).

is there a specific reason you want to go sub compact vs compact?

·
Registered
103 Posts
This is going to be one of those threads where people will go with what they own, unless they don't like it. I'd say play with them all that you see and grab the one in the best condition with the best price. The new grip on the gen4 is really nice IMO, I own a Gen 3 and love it as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if i buy a gen 4, how do i know if it had one of the "new springs" vs the old ones

i know if you have an older gen 4, glock will send you a new spring for free but i do not want to deal with that

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
A chart to explain the stamped codes on the RSA and which ones you should have. If you do not have it, Glock will send you one free.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
you need to google or go to the glocktalk site to see about the extractor (or was it the ejector?) if you are looking at certain pistols. My Gen4 19 had them replaced and is GTG.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts