New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Glock 23 Gen 4 on layaway at Gander, and was pretty much committed to it, but stumbled into another thread today where someone mentioned an apparent known issue with new Glock extractors. I had never heard of the issue until today. A quick Google search did turn up a handful of complaints and another handful of YouTube videos, all stating that around 1:50 casing were flung in an odd direction (back in their face, to the left, etc.)

I'm wondering now; how rampant is this issue? For having never heard of it until today, I can't imagine it's even 1:4 pistols. Still suddenly makes me wary of one, since it's a dent in their otherwise legendary reputation for reliability. I know I can get an aftermarket extractor for it, but this is going to replace my 1911 as a CCW, so I want to deviate from OEM as little as possible in case I ever do need to use it.

My runner up for choice of pistol was an FNX-40. I know that they have the complaint of the safety/decock being easy to actuate in a standard combat grip. But if I have to choose between a known issue and a funky extractor, I may drift back over to the FN. I'd rather make the decision now, since I won't be losing money yet. Wish I could shoot the G23 in advance, would take all the guessing out of it :p

· Registered
2,177 Posts
I don't think you'll have problems...take it to the range when you get it, shoot a few hundred rounds, and you'll figure it out!

· Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,326 Posts
Those complaints were mostly from the gen4 G19's and it was hit or miss. Glock had a voluntary recall on the ejector to remedy the issue. If you are buying a new and current production gun there won't be an issue.

Unless you limp-wrist it

· Registered
16 Posts
its call BFT or brass to face,the ejector is most of the problem. it depends on what ejector you get with your gun a 366 ejector or a 30274 ejector. I think its the 366 thats got the problems. You can bring this up on glock talks web site they got all the info on glocks Glock Pistols - Glock Pistol | Glock Talk - Index2. i like my glocks i got 5 and none of the guns have that problem good luck

· Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its call BFT or brass to face,the ejector is most of the problem. it depends on what ejector you get with your gun a 366 ejector or a 30274 ejector. I think its the 366 thats got the problems. You can bring this up on glock talks web site they got all the info on glocks Glock Pistols - Glock Pistol | Glock Talk - Index2. i like my glocks i got 5 and none of the guns have that problem good luck
I guess if Glock's aware of it, and recalling, if it's messed up, I'll just send it back. I bought the extended care plan from Gander, so it can go back on their dime :)

· Banned
2,647 Posts
Keep the G23, it only affects 9mm models, G19 and G17, 2009+ gen 3s and all gen 4s. People kept telling me it doesn't exist lol. Obviously it does if Apex decided to design a part for it, do research and put it on the market, it affects enough customers to make them a profit, otherwise they wouldn't bother. It is mainly the extractor, Glock did a lame recall on recoil spring and updated the ejector, to this day they don't know how to fix it properly or refuse to. BTF doesn't show up until 2000 or 4000 rounds on some guns. Obviously it's not rampant but tell that to people who are on their 6th and 10th (yes 10th) Glock replacement gun, they are pretty pissed off.

https://apextactical.com/store/product-list.php?pg1-cid22.html

· Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep the G23, it only affects 9mm models, G19 and G17, 2009+ gen 3s and all gen 4s. [...]
Good to know. I'm sure I'll end up with the FN someday, just now now, I guess :p Honestly, I'd never heard of it until today. I figured it would be one of those things you'd see people piss and moan a blue streak about, given how many Glock haters there are out there.

The Apex extractor would be a nice idea, and I would probably spring for one, but like I said, I like to keep my defensive guns as close to original spec as possible on the slight chance they may used for that purpose so there's no recusing the decision later on. "Why did you replace your extractor? Clearly you made it into a baby-killing death machine by upgrading a part."

2,326 Posts
Keep the G23, it only affects 9mm models, G19 and G17, 2009+ gen 3s and all gen 4s. People kept telling me it doesn't exist lol. Obviously it does if Apex decided to design a part for it, do research and put it on the market, it affects enough customers to make them a profit, otherwise they wouldn't bother. It is mainly the extractor, Glock did a lame recall on recoil spring and updated the ejector, to this day they don't know how to fix it properly or refuse to. BTF doesn't show up until 2000 or 4000 rounds on some guns. Obviously it's not rampant but tell that to people who are on their 6th and 10th (yes 10th) Glock replacement gun, they are pretty pissed off.

Holy Oogaly Moogaly $60 for an extractor and a spring?! GTFO with that!

· Registered
816 Posts
I have multiple glocks including a recent production 19 gen 4 and 26 gen 3. No issues. I think it is way overblown on the net. Always wear glasses while you shoot. Not that my glocks have done it but have had some other guns throw a few cases at my face. When I am focused on shooting I don't even notice till I get home and see some grease/ powder marks on my face. As long as the gun runs I could not care less where the empties end up

· Banned
5,971 Posts

Those on their 6th and 10th guns need instructions on hpw to properly hold a gun, not a new gun.

2,326 Posts
The Glock OEM extractor is $20 and the spring is $3.50 just for reference. Or you can send it to them to get fixed for free. I'm still marveling at $60 and it isn't even a "performance" part you would put on a competition gun. Free market and fool and his money and all that.

· Banned
2,647 Posts
Those on their 6th and 10th guns need instructions on hpw to properly hold a gun, not a new gun.
:stupid: You're right, the problem doesn't actually exist. Glock should have hired an internet expert Evild, could have saved them millions in not doing that recoil spring recall and updating the ejector. You should call them tomorrow, maybe you can be on a Gen 5 design team with your brilliant solutions.

· Banned
2,084 Posts
My friend just got his pistol permit & he bought a new G17 Gen4 for his first pistol. I personally ran 30 rounds through the gun & got BTF at least 5 times (forehead, cheek & glasses). The gun fired every time & had no malfunctions during our time at the range (well over 200 rounds). My friend who knows nothing about guns even commented on how my M&P ejected rounds to the right & his gun throws them backwards.

No limp writing either.

2,326 Posts
Look at the #'s stamped on the ejector

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.