New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about giving a 45 a shot, lol. Any opinions on the G37? The one I'm thinking of is full frame 10 round in 45 GAP. Or should I look toward a traditional 1911 from Colt, Kimber, etc? This would just be a have fun at the range sort of thing. Thanks, any opinions good or bad are appreciated.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Why not get a Glock in .45ACP? That would be cheaper than .45GAP.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
My opinion Chris is go with a .45ACP, the main purpose of the 45GAP was for LE to have a smaller grip 45 with high capacity and power, my favorite Glock round is the .357 Sig, I bought a drop in barrel for my G22 and shoot it when I find deals on ammo. The rounds costs more, I don't think many PD use it. BUT if you have to collect Glocks then sure grab one. In the pot calling the kettle I enter here, when I get a chance I am adding one to my Glock collection, probable one of the carry ones. Why? well who knows it's an addiction.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Why 45 GAP? Why not get a G30, you still get 10 rounds and its pretty concealable. I like my Sig P250 SC in 45 a lot also. Might want to give them a look.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not get a Glock in .45ACP? That would be cheaper than .45GAP.
I actually don't know, lol. Assuming you're talking about cost of ammo? I saw the gun and liked it a lot. Don't really know the differences between the two calibers. It wouldn't be the sort of gun where cost of ammo would be a major consideration as it would likely only see a few hundred rounds through it. That said, am interested in learning abot the differences. Thanks for the post.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Yes, the cost AND availability of ammo. It's much rarer to see .45GAP then .45ACP around here. And the 45GAP is a shorter, weaker .45,

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My opinion Chris is go with a .45ACP, the main purpose of the 45GAP was for LE to have a smaller grip 45 with high capacity and power, my favorite Glock round is the .357 Sig, I bought a drop in barrel for my G22 and shoot it when I find deals on ammo. The rounds costs more, I don't think many PD use it. BUT if you have to collect Glocks then sure grab one. In the pot calling the kettle I enter here, when I get a chance I am adding one to my Glock collection, probable one of the carry ones. Why? well who knows it's an addiction.
Oh I see what you're doing, lol. I see that next order getting bigger, ha, ha. ;). So, .357 SIG, got to look into that one...

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I actually don't know, lol. Assuming you're talking about cost of ammo? I saw the gun and liked it a lot. Don't really know the differences between the two calibers....t.
100 fps. The Gap came about because some LE agencies wanted a big bore in a 9/40 size frame for the smaller handed officers. It is about the same as 45 acp +P. You have a very limited ammo selection compared to big brother so cost are usually higher, if you reload, GAP brass isn't as easy to find as ACP brass. Unless you have small hands or just want a "different" caliber, there isn't much reason to go GAP. Tough to argue with a round that has been around for over 100 years and more popular than ever.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
My first gun was an XD45 and I love it great gun. I recently got a Sig 1911 and wish I never wasted the money on the XD45. I really like the XD but the 1911 just feels so much more solid and shoots even better. Wish i had gotten the 1911 a long time ago

·
Registered
235 Posts
The .45 GAP is a very accurate and powerful self defense caliber. Many LE agencies do carry the G37. I believe 5 State Police agencies, NY being one of them who issue it. The Glock 37 is a very reliable and capable handgun. Ammunition for the GAP is available on line. SGAmmo has a good selection. I own a Glock GAP and enjoy shooting it. You can find good deals on GAPs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts