New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cleaning my G17 yesterday when the small, thin disc broke off of the guide rod. I know Gen4s are under an RSA recall of which mine was not covered, but Glock is sending anyway since I've possessed the pistol for less than a year. My question is this: are there any other Glock owners that have swapped out an RSA for an aftermarket one (e.g. Lone Wolf)? If so, any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Lots of people have.

You can get an adapter that allowes you to run gen3 rsa parts in a gen4. If you go that route make sure you pick the correct weight recoil spring

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I think I went through glock works when I did it to my old 34.

Jeff just did it with his 35 I am sure he can give you list of parts I will point him to the thread.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I swapped out my Glock 35 gen4 RSA for a gen 3 setup so I could pick my own spring rate. I used mostly Zev parts since I was ordering other stuff from them anyway.

If you want to convert Gen 4 to Gen 3 you'll need an adapter/reducer, guide rod and spring.

Black Adapter (they also have stainless): Glock Warehouse - Product Detail - ZEV Tech 4th Gen Glock Guide Rod Reducing Ring - $11.00
Stainless Recoil Rod: Glock Warehouse - Product Detail - ZEV Tech Stainless Steel Guiderod
Spring: Glock Warehouse - Product Detail - ISMI Recoil Spring

I posted the link to the IMSI recoil spring above. I tried the red zev spring which they say is 14lb and it would not lock up. I was surprised since I read so many other people are using that weight spring. The KKM barrel I have locks up real tight, maybe that's why. I went to the 15lb IMSI spring and it works great now. The zev spring felt a lot lighter than the IMSI despite the published value only being 1lb different so I am a bit skeptical that published rates are correct for both of them. I am shooting .40 in major PF so don't go by my weights with your 9mm.

Whatever spring you pick, make sure it locks up. To test it you should dry fire the gun and while holding the trigger back point the muzzle straight up. While still holding the trigger back pull the slide back and then slowly let it close. The slide should lock up by the force of the spring without any inertia from the slide slamming forward.

You can buy recoil spring calibration kits that come with several weights if you don't know what to use.

Here is my setup in and out of the gun:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Awesome!

Glad it worked out for you.

It was also nice to see a topic about guns on here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.