New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,,if I came across some Glock 17 Pre-Ban Mags,,how the heck do ya tell the difference ??? I know some of the early ones did NOT drop Free,,,are there Pre-Bans that do drop free ?? Are there numbers inside/outside,,markings ANYTHING the "really" sets them apart from Post-Ban ?? Any info,,,pictures,,etc would be very helpful !! Thanks !!

· Registered
261 Posts
I knew that, I figured "preban" glock mags were like the 50 round ones. I didn't know pistols in NY state had a 10 rd limit too. That's so stupid...
They don't. Only magazines manufactured on or after 9/14/1994 have a 10 round limit. For any gun, rifle or pistol.

· Registered
528 Posts
The graphic in the AR-15 thread is, for the most part correct.

However, it should be noted that there were numerous sub-variations of NFML. Some of the metal linings were blued, some were stainless, some magazines had "extra" witness holes, some did not.

Also, there are two versions of preban, regular capcity FML: square notch and V-notch, with V-notch being the most recent (and desirable):

The AR15.com photo shows the first V-notch to be a postban 10 rounder, but there is a small number of preban, regular capacity, V-notch Glock magazines in circulation. This is omission is probably due to the relatively scarcity of V-notch FML magazines.

When I'm sorting through a bin of Glock magazines, what I look for first is the shoulder of the magazine. Anything with the stepped shoulder gets a second look (doesn't mean it's preban, but all prebans have stepped shoulders and the shoulders are easy to see). Anything with a smooth sloped shoulder is definitely postban and gets pushed aside (unless I'm looking for postban).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.