New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into purchasing a glock and wanted to get opinions for any current owners. I was looking into the Glock 17 or 19 some people say they are the same so it does not matter or they say get both. my hands are a bit bigger than avg so i would like to hear input from you guys.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What are you using it for? If you have any intention of carrying it, I would say 19. The 17 is tough to conceal. If it's just a nightstand and plinking gun, I'd say the 17. It's big enough that it shoots noticeably better than the 19, IMO.

I'd also recommend looking at the full size M&P series. I really enjoy how they shoot and they can do anything a Glock can do.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Don’t forget there is another option here: the Glock model 45. It’s a cross between the 17 and 19. Basically a gen5 with 17 frame and 19 slide.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah but that is almost the worst of both worlds. The giant 17 grip makes it difficult to conceal, and the shorter 19 slide makes it slightly less accurate. I'd probably stick with the 17, if you are considering the 45.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The OP made a point about having “larger” hands. If you are concerned about having a large enough grip, try the 17 or 45. I don’t find them hard to conceal even in an OWB.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's going to be for carrying not just for the home does is there different models of the m&p? my dad had a glock .45 acp the 36 i think and my hand was hanging off i remember pinching my finger a few times. is there a big difference in the size of the 17 and the 19 causing a issue with concealment?

·
Registered
81 Posts
There are a number of M&P variants. I think they are worth checking out if you are looking for a polymer duty-style gun.

The Glock 36 is a single stack sub compact. It should have felt thin in your hand. It's also designed so you really only get 2 fingers on the grip, kind of like the 26 and 27.

The best advice is to go to a store and hold both the 19 and 17. See which one feels better to you. I think the 17 would be tough to conceal unless you are a really big dude. A lot of cops carry a 17. Next time you are standing behind a cop at Tim Hortons, take a look at his gun and try to imagine concealing that monster. I personally couldn't.

My vote is for the 19. I think it's the perfect middle ground between the concealability of the 26 and the shoot ability of the 17. I wear a medium glove and the 19 fills my hand pretty well. It might feel smaller to you, but maybe not too small.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you’re look for a CCW Glock try looking at the 43 or 43x. The 17 or 19 are double stack “big guns” The 43 series is single stack much easier to deep cover carry. Obviously you know we can’t print in NY. Small & Comfortable. I own a 43x my second Glock. Excellent shooter! I can shoot it as well as the “big gun”.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you're look for a CCW Glock try looking at the 43 or 43x. The 17 or 19 are double stack "big guns" The 43 series is single stack much easier to deep cover carry. Obviously you know we can't print in NY. Small & Comfortable. I own a 43x my second Glock. Excellent shooter! I can shoot it as well as the "big gun".
Why can't we print in NY?

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's going to be for carrying not just for the home does is there different models of the m&p? my dad had a glock .45 acp the 36 i think and my hand was hanging off i remember pinching my finger a few times. is there a big difference in the size of the 17 and the 19 causing a issue with concealment?
I may have missed it, but the only caliber you mention is .45 ACP, and you mention that in relation to a G36 (and not in a positive way). If you are inclined to .45 ACP, look at a G30. As one who owns several Glocks, I really like the G30. Bit hard to conceal comfortably for me, but that's due to my weird shape and size. The G30 has 10-rnd magazines, which means, if I understand NY laws properly, you can only load with 7 rounds when carrying, but can be fully utilized for home defense. G30s are known to be very accurate, even with the shorter barrel. I can't attest to all of them, but mine IS very accurate, more so than I am.

Given NY laws (again, if I understand them correctly), buying something akin to a G43, S&W Shield, anything with less than a 9-10 round magazine capacity, doesn't seem the most logical choice for combined home and carry defense. My G27 mags hold 9 rounds of .40 S&W, and I believe the G26 holds 10 rounds of 9mm.

Others have mentioned M&Ps, of which I'm not really a fan, but such things are subjective, so giving those a look could prove worthwhile.

Final thought: If you are OK with 9mm (which I consider to be the best caliber choice), and you can get out of the Glock mindset (and I love my Glocks), look at the Sig Sauer P365: Ten-round mags, smaller overall footprint than a G43, comes with night-sights, and costs little more than a G43. Once I get another 200-300 rounds through mine without any hiccups, it will become my go-to for CC. One word of caution: If you find you like the Sig P365, buy it new. The first production run had some issues, which were later corrected. Two hundred rounds through mine and not one glitch.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
A Glock 17 or 19 are both too large for me to carry IMO. Sure you can but they are both larger guns IMO.
I agree with above poster and look at the sig 365. They make a 365 XL and that has a longer barrel and I think a bit of a longer grip. People also love the dog p320. I’m not a fan of them though. The S&W M&P series are nice guns. There are lots of them now and get the 2.0 since they have better triggers.
Also don’t count out the Springfield XD series either. I have one and love that gun. IMO it’s better built than the glocks. They have a new xdm compact elite that looks very nice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If we are suggesting outside the Glock line I would say look at FNH pistols, too. They are way underrated due, in my opinion, to a lack of marketing in the civilian market. I carry a FNS 9C daily and think it's the perfect size. It's almost exactly halfway between a Glock 19 and Glock 26. Good stock trigger, sights, etc. Reliable. I think the FNS series was phased out for the 509 (the 509 compact being the analogue to the FNS 9c), but they're pretty similar from what I understand.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
If we are suggesting outside the Glock line I would say look at FNH pistols, too. They are way underrated due, in my opinion, to a lack of marketing in the civilian market. I carry a FNS 9C daily and think it's the perfect size. It's almost exactly halfway between a Glock 19 and Glock 26. Good stock trigger, sights, etc. Reliable. I think the FNS series was phased out for the 509 (the 509 compact being the analogue to the FNS 9c), but they're pretty similar from what I understand.
Agreed. I left them off my list because they are not easy to find locally. The 509 series is a fine set of pistols. I think they have one that is optics ready as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I may have missed it, but the only caliber you mention is .45 ACP, and you mention that in relation to a G36 (and not in a positive way). If you are inclined to .45 ACP, look at a G30. As one who owns several Glocks, I really like the G30. Bit hard to conceal comfortably for me, but that's due to my weird shape and size. The G30 has 10-rnd magazines, which means, if I understand NY laws properly, you can only load with 7 rounds when carrying, but can be fully utilized for home defense. G30s are known to be very accurate, even with the shorter barrel. I can't attest to all of them, but mine IS very accurate, more so than I am.

Given NY laws (again, if I understand them correctly), buying something akin to a G43, S&W Shield, anything with less than a 9-10 round magazine capacity, doesn't seem the most logical choice for combined home and carry defense. My G27 mags hold 9 rounds of .40 S&W, and I believe the G26 holds 10 rounds of 9mm.

Others have mentioned M&Ps, of which I'm not really a fan, but such things are subjective, so giving those a look could prove worthwhile.

Final thought: If you are OK with 9mm (which I consider to be the best caliber choice), and you can get out of the Glock mindset (and I love my Glocks), look at the Sig Sauer P365: Ten-round mags, smaller overall footprint than a G43, comes with night-sights, and costs little more than a G43. Once I get another 200-300 rounds through mine without any hiccups, it will become my go-to for CC. One word of caution: If you find you like the Sig P365, buy it new. The first production run had some issues, which were later corrected. Two hundred rounds through mine and not one glitch.
A Glock 17 or 19 are both too large for me to carry IMO. Sure you can but they are both larger guns IMO.
I agree with above poster and look at the sig 365. They make a 365 XL and that has a longer barrel and I think a bit of a longer grip. People also love the dog p320. I'm not a fan of them though. The S&W M&P series are nice guns. There are lots of them now and get the 2.0 since they have better triggers.
Also don't count out the Springfield XD series either. I have one and love that gun. IMO it's better built than the glocks. They have a new xdm compact elite that looks very nice.
my dad owned a m&p not sure the model but i have the serial number. unfortunately i will be inheriting his guns... i was looking into 9mm because that's the only ammo i have and was able to find i have 500 rounds. i waited too long on my choice of glock and no store seems to have any stock. i will most likely be using the m&p when they're transferred.

·
Registered
19 Posts
my dad owned a m&p not sure the model but i have the serial number. unfortunately i will be inheriting his guns... i was looking into 9mm because that's the only ammo i have and was able to find i have 500 rounds. i waited too long on my choice of glock and no store seems to have any stock. i will most likely be using the m&p when they're transferred.
Sorry to hear of your loss of your dad!

Notwithstanding my comment about not being a fan of M&Ps, they ARE fine guns, as conveyed by "Saltwater60." You clearly won't have something that "on-its-face" is inadequate or inferior. I believe M&Ps are the choice of Jerry Miculek, and FEW are qualified to debate or compete with Miculek; those who can form a very small group.......of which I'm not included.

You mention the lack of availability of Glocks; I'm going to assume you mean locally. Not sure what laws govern your options there, but buying online has it's merits. It is really scary the first time you do it. You have to get passed that "I want to touch it, feel it, hug it, caress it, before I buy it" notion, but with a bit of research you can score some good deals. You have to use an FFL dealer for the transfer, so you would need to check what those in your area charge for that service, add that cost, along with shipping, to the price of the firearm to determine final cost.

I've had nothing but good luck with several online gun purchases. Just buy from a dealer that is reputable.......and that means stay the hell away from "CheaperThanDirt.com." There are horror stories written about dealings with that company.

Good luck to you, whatever you ultimately end up with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry to hear of your loss of your dad!

Notwithstanding my comment about not being a fan of M&Ps, they ARE fine guns, as conveyed by "Saltwater60." You clearly won't have something that "on-its-face" is inadequate or inferior. I believe M&Ps are the choice of Jerry Miculek, and FEW are qualified to debate or compete with Miculek; those who can form a very small group.......of which I'm not included.

You mention the lack of availability of Glocks; I'm going to assume you mean locally. Not sure what laws govern your options there, but buying online has it's merits. It is really scary the first time you do it. You have to get passed that "I want to touch it, feel it, hug it, caress it, before I buy it" notion, but with a bit of research you can score some good deals. You have to use an FFL dealer for the transfer, so you would need to check what those in your area charge for that service, add that cost, along with shipping, to the price of the firearm to determine final cost.

I've had nothing but good luck with several online gun purchases. Just buy from a dealer that is reputable.......and that means stay the hell away from "CheaperThanDirt.com." There are horror stories written about dealings with that company.

Good luck to you, whatever you ultimately end up with.
thanks you I appreciate the thought I sure miss him and will miss doing things together but I will cherish the memories I have.

Yes locally the stock is scarce and like you I want to see it and hold it to make sure it's something I'm comfortable with. I will look into the online after a little time has passed I will test my dads guns out after transfer and I find ammo for different calibers haha... what sites would you recommend for online shopping for firearms?

·
Registered
19 Posts
... what sites would you recommend for online shopping for firearms?
I won't "recommend" anything because that gets me in trouble. Like recommending a restaurant to friends, and then they get the worst meal they ever had.

I will though give insight to where I've had positive results. This will also give others the opportunity to state their problems with the following:

My 1st stop is always Gunbuyer.com. I have made several purchases from Gunbuyer. Shipping is free on firearms, almost unheard of, but it is a popular site, so they are often low on stock.

I've had a couple of gun purchases from PalmettoStateArmory.com, with good results.

Single gun purchases have been made without issue from Deguns.net, AtlanticFirearms.com, Keelyarms.com, and Impactguns.com. Budsgunshop.com. is one I wouldn't be afraid to buy from; I haven't because the price is higher if using a credit card......and I won't buy online without using a credit card because of the legal protections afforded the consumer.

I should stress that I prefer to buy locally when the item is in stock and being sold at a reasonable price. I will even pay a marginally higher price because I believe in supporting local merchants.

When researching an online firearm purchase, ensure what you are trying to buy is legal where you are. Many online retailers post notices listing which state(s) they can't send certain items. But a nightmare could ensue if you purchased a firearm that wasn't legal, and it was sent to an FFL dealer who then couldn't transfer it to you.

When you get your dad's M&P, and have fired a couple of hundred rounds, I'd be interested to learn how you like it, along with exactly what version/model it is; i.e., subcompact, compact, full size, etc.

Best regards,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I won't "recommend" anything because that gets me in trouble. Like recommending a restaurant to friends, and then they get the worst meal they ever had.

I will though give insight to where I've had positive results. This will also give others the opportunity to state their problems with the following:

My 1st stop is always Gunbuyer.com. I have made several purchases from Gunbuyer. Shipping is free on firearms, almost unheard of, but it is a popular site, so they are often low on stock.

I've had a couple of gun purchases from PalmettoStateArmory.com, with good results.

Single gun purchases have been made without issue from Deguns.net, AtlanticFirearms.com, Keelyarms.com, and Impactguns.com. Budsgunshop.com. is one I wouldn't be afraid to buy from; I haven't because the price is higher if using a credit card......and I won't buy online without using a credit card because of the legal protections afforded the consumer.

I should stress that I prefer to buy locally when the item is in stock and being sold at a reasonable price. I will even pay a marginally higher price because I believe in supporting local merchants.

When researching an online firearm purchase, ensure what you are trying to buy is legal where you are. Many online retailers post notices listing which state(s) they can't send certain items. But a nightmare could ensue if you purchased a firearm that wasn't legal, and it was sent to an FFL dealer who then couldn't transfer it to you.

When you get your dad's M&P, and have fired a couple of hundred rounds, I'd be interested to learn how you like it, along with exactly what version/model it is; i.e., subcompact, compact, full size, etc.

Best regards,
thanks for the input I will take a look into the sites local gun shops would also be ideal for me but stock is limited right now. I am trying to sort everything out with the guns a lot things are going on right now I will keep informed I do have the serial number of everything thing that is on dads permit but some were stolen there's an issue of an investigation right now -_-...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts