New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up a Stevens 320 to replace my Winchester 1300 I sold this past fall.

Anyhow I can get 2 different models. One with ghost ring sights the other with just a plain bead sight. The one with the gohst ring sight is about 30.00 more expenisve than the one without.

Should I get the one with ghost rings since it is only an addtional 30.00? Or save the money and get the one with just the bead sight?

Thanks

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Home defense first and fore most. No hunting what so ever. In the future a shotgun class or two.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
then it depends on if you want a rear sight or not bead sight would be fine for home defense but the ghost ring might help in shotgun courses

·
Registered
27 Posts
For HD a bead sight is quickest, for sure. If you want to dress it up, install an XS Big Dot over the bead (it has a tritium insert for night target acquisition). GR sights are totally useless and will put you at a disadvantage at typical HD distances.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I love the Ghost rings on my 12ga. Very easy to pick up!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I love the Ghost rings on my 12ga. Very easy to pick up!
Sorry, but GR sights on shotguns used for HD might get you killed. At about 7 yds., typical HD distance, one doesn't aim a shotgun, one points it - much, much quicker. This means that the focus is on the front sight, and a bead works best, IMO. If I am at the range shooting slugs, I might switch to a rifle or GR sighted, I/C choked, barrel on my 870, but for HD it's a bead sight. Having used shotguns extensively for nearly 45 years, including a stint in the USMC, I can tell you that the vast majority of those experienced at using a shotgun for HD or CQC prefer a simple bead.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sorry, but GR sights on shotguns used for HD might get you killed. At about 7 yds., typical HD distance, one doesn't aim a shotgun, one points it - much, much quicker. This means that the focus is on the front sight, and a bead works best, IMO. If I am at the range shooting slugs, I might switch to a rifle or GR sighted, I/C choked, barrel on my 870, but for HD it's a bead sight. Having used shotguns extensively for nearly 45 years, including a stint in the USMC, I can tell you that the vast majority of those experienced at using a shotgun for HD or CQC prefer a simple bead.
So, are you saying one cant point a shotgun that has GR sights on it if the need arises to shoot at a shorter distance? Sorry, but thats nonsense.

·
Registered
27 Posts
So, are you saying one cant point a shotgun that has GR sights on it if the need arises to shoot at a shorter distance? Sorry, but thats nonsense.
No, I am not saying that at all. What I am saying is that to use GR sights (as they are meant to be used), the front and rear sights are utilized to aim the gun, whether at long or short distances. This is a distinct disadvantage at short HD or CQC distances, where simply pointing the gun using only the front sight is much quicker. Of course one can use only the front blade of the GR sight to point the gun, but I have found a simple brass bead to be quicker, especially when using the shotgun off the shoulder in the hip or underarm positions (where the front blade of a GR sight is not as useful). And, best of all, is a tritium insert, XS Big Dot epoxied over the bead, which provides the best target acquisition at night. Of course, as mentioned, I do use GR and rifle sights at the range for slugs (although I am pretty accurate with a bead, even at distance). The disadvantage of the Big Dot for distance is that it tends to obscure the target. Another disadvantage of GR sights is that, because the rear sight is installed on the receiver, one cannot use barrels with other types of sights on the gun (beads and rifle sights are installed only on the barrel).

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Are theye a "must have"? NO.

But if you like using them then go for it.

Definitely a personal preference choice. The half dozen shotgun I have had never saw ghost rings unless you count the dusty smoke rings left in the air when you center clay birds....

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a 590a1 with ghost rings, wouldn't want anything else. No problem with HD. If it worries you put a laser/light on it. I don't have one but if you have weapons training you can pick up any shotty and use it in an HD scenario. Ghost rings work in more situations (better) than a bead. Get to the training man.:shot:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 590a1 with ghost rings, wouldn't want anything else. No problem with HD. If it worries you put a laser/light on it. I don't have one but if you have weapons training you can pick up any shotty and use it in an HD scenario. Ghost rings work in more situations (better) than a bead. Get to the training man.:shot:
"shotty"? Did your mommy buy that for you?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
since you don't hunt at all, the bead is fine
in a self defense situation with a shotgun its not even like you need sights
shotguns excell at short range defense, i doubt you would need even the bead when push comes to shove

·
Banned
714 Posts
My personal preference would be to go with the Ghost Ring sights. I have rifle sights on my 1980's vintage Remington 870 and wish I had ghost rings on it. I would have replaced the rifle sights but it would have required drilling and tapping and is not worth the conversion cost. If I get another, it will have ghost ring sights on the newer model for sure. I base my preference on several years of experience with rifle sights, bead sights and ghost ring sights, all on Remington 870s that I was issued, or fired, at work over the 32 years of my former career. When they finally got 870s with Ghost Ring Sights, I was impressed by how quickly (as compared to rifle sights) and accurately (as compared to longer shots with a bead sight) you can pick up the target. Nice sights, I would prefer all metal ones, not anything with plastic (if they come that way).

All the best,
Glenn B

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I didn't expect to see the hollywood "magic wall of lead death" myth on a gun board. At typical HD ranges a shotgun must be carefully aimed at the target or you will likely miss. This is easily demonstrated. Measure the longest distance of the biggest room of your house, then dupicate that distance at a range to see the size of the pattern you get with your chosen gun and load. For example the longest shot in my apartment would be 28' at that range using my load in my shotgun on paper I get one ragged hole aprox. an inch and a half. I'm essentially firing a large single projectile at this distance so it would be easy to miss if I wasn't aligned on the target. Ghost ring sights are very quick to aquire and will also get you aligned on the target properly. Now a bead will suffice with practice but the GR sight is more instintive. I don't think GR sights are especially suited for clays or hunting since they can obscure a small fast moving target, at those ranges the pattern of the shot collumn will open up enough to compensate for aiming errors. Really like it was said before it boils down to what works for you in your circumstance but ghost ring sites have deffinate value in a HD situation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I didn't expect to see the hollywood "magic wall of lead death" myth on a gun board. At typical HD ranges a shotgun must be carefully aimed at the target or you will likely miss. This is easily demonstrated. Measure the longest distance of the biggest room of your house, then dupicate that distance at a range to see the size of the pattern you get with your chosen gun and load. For example the longest shot in my apartment would be 28' at that range using my load in my shotgun on paper I get one ragged hole aprox. an inch and a half. I'm essentially firing a large single projectile at this distance so it would be easy to miss if I wasn't aligned on the target. Ghost ring sights are very quick to aquire and will also get you aligned on the target properly. Now a bead will suffice with practice but the GR sight is more instintive. I don't think GR sights are especially suited for clays or hunting since they can obscure a small fast moving target, at those ranges the pattern of the shot collumn will open up enough to compensate for aiming errors. Really like it was said before it boils down to what works for you in your circumstance but ghost ring sites have deffinate value in a HD situation.
Sorry, but I'll disagree. For HD, GR sights ( basically "peep" sights) are the most difficult to use for HD, as target acquisition on a moving target at close range in a dimly-lit situation is painfully slow. At HD distances, a shotgun is best "pointed" and not aimed, as one would a rifle or pistol. Pointing involves focusing on the target and not on the front sight (and certainly not on trying to obtain the proper sight picture with GR sights!). This is best done by pointing the gun and using the front bead as a point of reference only.The only time I employ front and rear sights is when I am shooting slugs at the range (which is more closely related to firing a rifle than a shotgun) and , in that case, I use rifle sights, because at distance any other type of sight tends to obscure the target.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts