New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey dudes. question; has anyone found a good way to get wood stain off of metal parts?

Natural material Wood Chair Hardwood Wood stain
Wood Tool Hardwood Wood stain Table

The above pics are of a Mauser stock I acquired recently, for a k98 Mauser restoration project I have going (related thread in Curio & Relic sub-forum here on NYF).

Someone, post-war, decided it would be a good idea to put some dark stain on the stock (roll eyes). In addition to that bright idea, they did not remove any of the metal parts. As such, the bolt take-down disc, butt plate (not pictured), recoil lug & bayonet lug all have a dark brown, rusty look.

I hit the butt plate with some Eezox, and a tiny bit came off. Obviously, something more is required. Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys! some great ideas and responses here.

some of the parts are really hard to remove from the stock, so, the "soak them" method might not work. The bolt take down disc is a bear to get out, and worse, back in.

will let you know how it goes. Thank you for responding. I appreciate it. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
thanks guys! some great ideas and responses here.

some of the parts are really hard to remove from the stock, so, the "soak them" method might not work. The bolt take down disc is a bear to get out, and worse, back in.

will let you know how it goes. Thank you for responding. I appreciate it. :cheers:
Acetone on a Q-tip, and a careful hand will work. You just run the risk of ruining the other parts of the finish. You might be able to use painters tape.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.