New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got tired of buying overpriced disposable cartridge razor blades. So I bought a quality straight razor from "The Art of Shaving" store at Southcenter Shopping Mall near Seattle. The strop and the mug were purchased from a local antique shop. The Williams shaving soap, shaving brush, styptic pencil, and Aqua Velva were purchased cheap from a local drug store.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I'm getting a little sick of the cartridge razors too. I think I may soon go to at least a safety razor.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I'm going to tell you something.. for reasons I can't explain, right until up somewhere around the age of thirty (maybe early 30s, somewhere in there ..I dunno.. it's not important ), I felt like I needed to shave with a razor (of various types). I had been offered electric shavers as gifts here and there, particularly from girlfriends over the years; however I always refused and stuck with the razors. I may have even tried an old one at some point and didn't like it. Then one day one girlfriend or another bought me one anyway, a good one (for Christmas or something, maybe a birthday.. I dunno.. it's not important..heh). I was still tentative about it but it was there and I was stuck with it so eventually I figured I might as well give it a shot. To this day, as I sit here shaving without even thining about it in about 20 seconds while sitting at the computer, watching a TV show, maybe even writing this post.. for the life of me I cannot imagine why in the hell I resisted it for so many years. It's wonderful. Now I know that shaving any other way is for suckers..heh.

The trick though is make sure you get a GOOD one. Don't scrimp and you'll never look back. I don't have a lot of money (lately anyway) but there are certain things I will always buy the best of if there's any way I can manage it. Something that puts blades against my face is one of those things.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I can't use an electric shaver. Doesn't get the neck very well at all. Does the rest OK though...

i might also also look into a safety razor as well in the future.

Not from art of shaving they are way overpriced.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
So Hex which is the one you use?

I'm going to tell you something.. for reasons I can't explain, right until up somewhere around the age of thirty (maybe early 30s, somewhere in there ..I dunno.. it's not important ), I felt like I needed to shave with a razor (of various types). I had been offered electric shavers as gifts here and there, particularly from girlfriends over the years; however I always refused and stuck with the razors. I may have even tried an old one at some point and didn't like it. Then one day one girlfriend or another bought me one anyway, a good one (for Christmas or something, maybe a birthday.. I dunno.. it's not important..heh). I was still tentative about it but it was there and I was stuck with it so eventually I figured I might as well give it a shot. To this day, as I sit here shaving without even thining about it in about 20 seconds while sitting at the computer, watching a TV show, maybe even writing this post.. for the life of me I cannot imagine why in the hell I resisted it for so many years. It's wonderful. Now I know that shaving any other way is for suckers..heh.

The trick though is make sure you get a GOOD one. Don't scrimp and you'll never look back. I don't have a lot of money (lately anyway) but there are certain things I will always buy the best of if there's any way I can manage it. Something that puts blades against my face is one of those things.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You're like the fifth person in a week I know who has converted. I'm with Dragon, I've bought top of the line electric shavers over the years not a one has ever done a good job on my neck.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
My barber uses a straight razor to clean up neck etc. I asked him one time if he did shaves. Said he was thinking about getting started and asked me to come in on Sunday morning (shop closed) so he could practice. Yeah, no thanks lol...

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I use a straight razor with the disposable blades. I haven't been able to sharpen or hone a blade to save my life.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just got an old double edged safety razor from my Dad that he got years ago from his Great Uncle. It's a Gem Micromatic. Picked up a 10 pack of double edged blades at the grocery store (store brand- will probably not do that again. There IS a difference in blades, I just need to experiment to find the right one.) Gave it a shot with my regular shaving cream. Ended up with some pretty bad razor burn on my neck that I haven't gotten since I started shaving. Still need to find the right angle to use it with to help cut down the razor burn. I also ordered this -> Amazon.com: Van Der Hagen Men's Luxury, Shave Set: Health & Personal Care Should be getting it today. It's basic and cheap but I figured it would be a good set to get started out with. I figure once I find the right blades I'll just get a thousand or so. A lifetime supply of razors for what I would normally pay in a year or two of the cartridge type.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I want to get a straight razor, just about have my wife convinced why I need to spend $200 plus on a razor.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I've been shaving with a safety razor for years. Personal preference is a Merkur Heavy Duty along with Feather blades. Note that everyone is different, and a blade that works for one will shred another. I would STRONGLY encourage anyone wanting to try shaving with a safety razor buy a sample pack of blades. The bigger the sample pack (more blade variety), the better. Shave for a week (or so) with a blade while taking notes. Then try a different blade. Find one that works for you. Then you can stock up on those blades from ebay on the cheap.

Go here for your blade sampler...
Razor Blade Sample Packs | West Coast Shaving

·
Registered
244 Posts
Years ago an old timer told me that before I used a straight razor on myself, I had to practice with a balloon with shaving cream on it. When you can shave the balloon without popping, then you are good enough to use it without cutting your own throat. Never did get the hang of it. :(

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I've been shaving with a safety razor for years. Personal preference is a Merkur Heavy Duty along with Feather blades. Note that everyone is different, and a blade that works for one will shred another. I would STRONGLY encourage anyone wanting to try shaving with a safety razor buy a sample pack of blades. The bigger the sample pack (more blade variety), the better. Shave for a week (or so) with a blade while taking notes. Then try a different blade. Find one that works for you. Then you can stock up on those blades from ebay on the cheap.

Plus one on this. I've researched. Markup and feather blades are the way to go with a safety razor.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I use a straight razor once or twice a week. I'm using a 1930's vintage german blade that I got from a retired barber.

I use a five bladed disposable a couple days a week as well... just to give my skin a rest.

Maybe once or twice a month I'm in a hurry so I use an electric.

Of course, I'm growing a winter beard at the moment, so I only need to shave under my neck in the morning-- goes much faster.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It takes time to develop dexterity in the hands for shaving with a straight razor. I use the right hand to shave the right side of my face and the left hand to shave the left side of my face. It took me two weeks of persistence before I could shave without cutting myself. Be sure to get a styptic pencil, you will have need of it while learning. There is some prep work required before shaving. You gotta strop the razor to get it sharp enough to shave without tugging on the hairs. It will take time to develop the technique, so practice. You must also soak a washcloth in very hot water and then apply it to your face to soften the hairs before shaving. I also like to use very hot water on the shaving brush to work up a lather in the mug and then apply it to the face. You will also want an alchohol based aftershave.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is good advice.
I would STRONGLY encourage anyone wanting to try shaving with a safety razor buy a sample pack of blades. The bigger the sample pack (more blade variety), the better. Shave for a week (or so) with a blade while taking notes. Then try a different blade. Find one that works for you. Then you can stock up on those blades from ebay on the cheap.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
So Hex which is the one you use?
Right now a Panasonic Arc 4.

As far as the guys who said the electrics don't work for them, I can see that and it probably has a lot to do with how each individuals hair grows in and such. I have very fine hair and really couldn't grow a real beard if I wanted to (and I have wanted to do so). Besides the very fine hair my genetics make me very "patchy" and I don't get much hair down on my neck. Also though in regard to the electrics in general.. I wasn't implying that it would be as good or as close of a shave as a razor would provide at all; no matter how good the shaver was. For me though I suppose I just don't care if it's perfect..heh. I'd just personally rather have the difference in tremendous convenience over a perfect shave I guess.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
If that had something that got me to a nice even stubble all the time... I'd prefer that over shaving.

I do not enjoy having a beard, or a weeks worth of growth cause I don't like the look. So it needs to be full beard which I've never done. Or clean shaven.

But if...by some miracle I could achieve very light, uniform stubble from an electric device..... I'd pay quite a premium for said device.

I have tried istubble from con air. No dice :(

1 - 20 of 181 Posts