New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like every county has different requirements regarding the character references. I know in NYC, the requirement has even differed from one investigating officer to another.

Here's my question: do you know of anyone who has had an application denied, or been unable to apply for a license, SOLELY because of the character reference requirement?

I mean, if I moved to Orange or Rockland County, I'd have to make friends with the locals and then wait several years before I could apply for a license due to the character reference requirement. It was bad enough in NYC--I had to track down old friends from high school who lived out of state. But at least I could do it, since references don't have to be NYS residents in NYC, only U.S. citizens.

I'm just thinking that this might be something worth challenging in a future lawsuit. We have a constitutional right to possess a handgun in the home. A county can't deny someone that right just because he or she doesn't have enough pro-gun friends who are county residents and have known that person for 4 or 5 years. That wouldn't even pass rational basis.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
It seems like every county has different requirements regarding the character references. I know in NYC, the requirement has even differed from one investigating officer to another.

Here's my question: do you know of anyone who has had an application denied, or been unable to apply for a license, SOLELY because of the character reference requirement?

I mean, if I moved to Orange or Rockland County, I'd have to make friends with the locals and then wait several years before I could apply for a license due to the character reference requirement. It was bad enough in NYC--I had to track down old friends from high school who lived out of state. But at least I could do it, since references don't have to be NYS residents in NYC, only U.S. citizens.

I'm just thinking that this might be something worth challenging in a future lawsuit. We have a constitutional right to possess a handgun in the home. A county can't deny someone that right just because he or she doesn't have enough pro-gun friends who are county residents and have known that person for 4 or 5 years. That wouldn't even pass rational basis.
If someone submits a bad character reference, you are screwed.

Remember thought that most counties have some sort or method for dealing with "newbs." Some will let you use your old country, or some may net even require they be in the county at all, like mine.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If someone submits a bad character reference, you are screwed.

Remember thought that most counties have some sort or method for dealing with "newbs." Some will let you use your old country, or some may net even require they be in the county at all, like mine.
Not really, goes by county-to-county as far as character reference requirement. Just ask the county involved and explain the circumstances.
As far as the character references are concerned: the judges tend not to give much weight to them. I heard of instances when one or two of the four "character references" badmouthed" a PP applicant after signing on the application form that the applicant was of "good moral character". Does not say much for the intergity of the character reference. That's why I advise ANY PP applicant to get the character reference forms DIRECTLY from his references, then submit them with his application as a complete package.

·
Registered
462 Posts
. That's why I advise ANY PP applicant to get the character reference forms DIRECTLY from his references, then submit them with his application as a complete package.
Again that goes by county-to-county.
Here in Columbia County you submit your completed application, then they send the reference forms to your references. I don't think they even have to be notarized here in Columbia County, I'll have to ask one of my references.
Pistol Permits

·
Registered
3,554 Posts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your statement "That wouldn't even pass rational basis" is very correct, But you have to consider that the people who write this crap up are elected Democraps that have a huge ANIT-GUN ATTITUDE. When did any DEMPOCRAP do anything with a common sence approach, they all have the "The Sky is Falling" mindset.

After the Washington DC, State of Caifornia and State of Illinois lawsuit I'm sure New York City will have one some time in the near future. But it will take money and a good team of lawyers, Some one needs to take the Bull by the Horns and get it rolling, start a fund raiser and get the legal people who were involved with the DC, California and Illinois pistol permit issues and get them on your team. Consult with them and see where to start, if no one takes the fitrst step, NOTHING WILL GET DONE!

I'm a firm believer in the "NATIONAL Pistol Permit Reciprocity", just like your drivers license is reconized in all fifty states and territories.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts