New York Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all:

Just to bring everyone up to speed (Mods - Sticky this one?)

Sometime Sunday night or early Monday morning, the roof over the left half of the indoor range collapsed. We suspect the snow load and our recent freeze/thaw/freeze/thaw (you get the point) cycle in the past week was the cause.

As of right now, the whole indoor range is closed and locked down.

NO ENTRY TO THE RANGE AT ALL FOR ANY REASON - THIS IS FOR YOUR SAFETY

Although we are relatively sure the other half is structurally sound, we will not be able to know until we have it confirmed by an engineer. We will then decide if that half will open or not.

We were fortunate the no one was injured in the collapse. All in all, it could have been a lot worse.

We are working by the minute with the contractors and the insurance provider to expedite the cleanup and repair as fast as possible. We expect that the range may be offline for at least a month, maybe two. Right now, we just do not know what the timeframe will be. I will post updates whenever there is something to report.

As for the events that utilized the indoor range, they are all postponed until further notice.

The good news: I will not let the Tuesday Night shoot be postponed any more than necessary. I am already working on ideas and ways to continue the shoot. I will have another post to update for that as well.

Wish us luck and we'll get it back together!!!

Dave

BTW....here are some pics:

Side wall on compromised side:

Indoor on Left side - inside wall from previous pic:

Other wall on Left side:

Just a couple sticks and a bit of snow:

· Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup. All of this can be repaired.....

· Registered
7,787 Posts
WHATS THE BIG DEAL, I can still shoot through that...........

I mean, I can miss just as fast through that :)

I posted a couple of pix to In the general forum

· Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Things are progressing.........Insurance is on the case and we're looking to get the debris cleaned out in the next few days......then the fun begins...

More as we get details

· Registered
7,787 Posts
Things are progressing.........Insurance is on the case and we're looking to get the debris cleaned out in the next few days......then the fun begins...

More as we get details
Dave, do they need help cleaning the place up. I got some time to kill, this is my slow time of year

· Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a meeting tonight with the rest of the Directors. I should know more tomorrow

· Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Results of the meeting:

Things are progressing nicely. Snow's been removed, Engineer has been looking the place over in the hopes we can open the right side for casual shooting for the members. Some of the background details and preliminary work has begun and we are already looking to see what we need to add/delete.change to make it better.

We have no firm time estimate, just a rough guess of about 2 months. Does that mean we may reopen earlier? Yes, if the work is complete. Will it open later? No one knows. Anything could speed it up or delay it - weather, materials, contractor availability, etc.....

The one underlying feeling with all of the directors that attended last evening was to reopen ASAP and keep it available for the members during construction/reconstruction if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for your patience. More updates to follow as more becomes available

Dave

· Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Thats great news. Glad they're acting quickly and also that they want to open the right side of the range if possible.

· Registered
14 Posts
I was just planning on joining the Tuesday night (and perhaps Wed too) group and then this happens. Sorry my bad luck ruined it for everyone:>) Sounds like a contractor will be hired to do the work but if there are things some of us can do, let us know. I have tools...
-herb

· Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tuesday will still be up and running, just not in the exact form we see right now. There's another thread on it here on the forum. Bookmark it or keep an eye on it for news......I have a meeting with my RO's this coming Tuesday to finalize a plan

· Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for asking. As we obtain more news and details, it will be posted here. We are working with an engineer to see if it is possible to open the right half once it is secured as weathertight. If so, it will be open for casual shooting by the members, no events. It will most likely open after the guys have finished working for the day as they do access both sides while working.

Again, anything new will be posted here when it is available.

Thanks for your continued patience

· Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No more news to report except that the work is progressing nicely. Cleanup is done, evaluations on the structure are under way, and the work is going well.

BOD meeting Thursday. I expect more news after that.

Stay tuned shooting fans!

· Registered
4,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep.

I will try to get some pictures today...

We are in the process of getting the standing side refit so that we do not have any concerns with the structure. So far, the roof, walls and other important features are structurally solid. We are going to be upgrading the truss system on the right half to match what will be installed on the left. Once that is done and the building is made weatherproof, we hope to open the right side on a limited basis.

As there will be ongoing construction, the range will be closed during the hours the contractor is there. We expect that we can open the range after their work hours and keep it open until 9pm during the week. The opening time will be announced as soon as we have more details from the contractor. On the weekends, the range will be open from 12-5 on Sunday and possibly Saturday, but again, we will not know until we talk to the contractor.

To maintain a degree of safety, we are also going to have someone there while the range is open, just as a safety measure and contact person. This way, we will have real time feedback as to the noise and someone will be there in case of questions.

Now, before everyone starts wondering why the 9pm or 5pm cutoff: We are smack in the middle of a residential area. With half of the roof removed, there is a lot of extra noise coming out of the range. There will most likely be a concern from the neighbors with that increased noise level. We are doing this to maintain the 'good neighbor' status that we currently have.

As for the work, things are progressing quickly. The debris is all gone, the tarps have been dropped over the opening to prevent any further weather damage, and the rebuilding should begin shortly. Although stuff like this takes time, we are moving it forward as fast as possible. We are waiting on final truss specs and designs, roof quotes, and steel quotes. Once those are in, we can start getting the major segments started and delivered.

There will also be some sort of extra cost for the upgrades that we are going to do. The Rochester Personal Defense, LLC and the Rochester Defensive Pistol Associates, LLC (Tuesday Night CCW Shoot) organizations are going to be gathering donations to deliver, from the shooters and students of) to GCL to help offset the cost. There have been two major pledges to this fund already by a couple very well known (but quiet) people. If you are interested in contributing, please contact me for details.

We are still shooting for a reopening by early April. As with any project, there may be delays for any reason. But we do promise that the range will open the minute it's ready.

Thanks again for your patience.

More to come soon.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.