New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a detail fanatic but decided to break out some elbow grease this am and clean up the new truck. Not looking too bad for an 8 y/o with 90K on it...

I bought some stuff called Detail Doctor + and it worked awesome on the old washed out plastic trim. We'll see how long it lasts. Should have taken some before/after shots but here's the after. Imagine a light grey sun bleached piece of plastic before application. I used it on the other plastic trim too, mirrors, handles, bed rails, etc.

I seriously thought I would need to replace this wheel. It looked totally pitted but it must have been a bunch of dried on brake dust and built up grease. Took a lot of elbow grease, a combination of wheel cleaners and a stainless steel gun brush, lol, but it came out great.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Very nice! I need to do this to the jeep. However, I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never once in my life washed my own car, so I'm not really sure how to go about it.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, let's not forget the engine. A can of GUNK degreaser and $5 under the pressure washer at the local car wash...

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Nice work, anytime you want to come give my eclipse a polish your more than welcome ;)

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Very nice! I need to do this to the jeep. However, I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never once in my life washed my own car, so I'm not really sure how to go about it.
Orange Jeep lust, never washed your own car.....how did you obtain your man card? :p

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's kinda like taking a bath. Make sure to get all the nooks and crannys and don't scrub too hard, lol...

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What the heck is this? From the factory or a conversion? Normally don't pay any attention to Jeeps but this thing was bad ass, lol...

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I haven't hand washed my Suby in a long time. but then again it's a Subaru, she likes being dirty. ;)

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Lookin good!

When the chalkiness comes back on your plastic trim, give some Armor Dillo pads a try. We used to use them to clean up the plastic cladding and bed covers on the Chevy Avalanche. Comes out like new and would usually last about 3 or 4 months before it would start to fade again. It's fantastic stuff.

TS-1 Single Pad $9.95 - TS-1plastic restoration

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Well, I'll have to learn. I don't really have an option. The thing that's hanging me up is, how in the hell do I clean the windows? They're plastic and they get coated in dust.

·
Uberbi.. nah, I can't do it.
3,501 Posts
Gotta admit, I don't wash my own car, either. Of course, living on a dirt road, it's kind of pointless anyway! Looks good, C.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any plastic cleaner in auto or marine store will clean and protect your plastic windows. Same stuff is used on boat canopies. Haven't actually used this but its supposed to be good stuff. Plexus Plastic Cleaner - Compacc Most is just spray and wipe. Some products you need to let dry and buff off like car wax. Silicone based product would probably help keeping dust off.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Any plastic cleaner in auto or marine store will clean and protect your plastic windows. Same stuff is used on boat canopies. Haven't actually used this but its supposed to be good stuff. Plexus Plastic Cleaner - Compacc Most is just spray and wipe. Some products you need to let dry and buff off like car wax. Silicone based product would probably help keeping dust off.
Ordered. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts