New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems like a bottle of gatorade now warrents a stop and frisk from the cops! I was jogging in a local park yesterday and started hearing sirens which most of us wouldn't think much of however this time those sirens wher ment for me. It turns out someone thought my bottle of gatorade was a gun and called the cops. I know this sounds stupid but it's true! I was half-way into my run when four cops stop me at gun point and order me to the ground with my hands behind my head. While I was being searched I asked the officers what I did wrong thinking I was in a restricted area at first but they said they got a call for a man with a gun. It turns out a clearly visable bottle of gatorade in your pocket now looks like a firearm these days

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
Bottle Liquid Water Bottle cap Fluid

I thought that that was why the bottle comes with an orange cap.....

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Glad you are ok. I'm sure so many crimes are committed by runners that the cops feel justified in assaulting a private citizen on an anonymous tip. Nothing to see here.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Surprised you didn't get the old resisting arrest charge.... usually its standard.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Glad that NOBODY got hurt. Reading this actually angers me. The people who makes these calls need to be held accountable.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Good thing you werent carrying on your small of back jogging..(i do)..they prolly would hsve reaaaly busted your sack!!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
So none of the responding officers observed that it was a bottle of Gatorade before an approach ? I get it for safety reasons having someone down on the ground and all but unless you had a **** load of clothes on couldn't at least one of the officers have made the call that it was a Gatorade bottle?
good thing you didn't have on a military style jacket

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Out of curiosity,were you wearing any firearm branded or 2a supporting clothing?

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I had something typed out but my browser froze. The gist is, annonymous calls CAN create reasonable suspicion under specific circumstances with detailed info. Did the cops tell you it was annoymous or are you just guessing? If they spoke to someone in person or had a verified call back, the stop was definitely legal. If not, then if the caller wasn't very specific, you probably should not have been stopped.

The use of common sense is hard to address. It's likely that your bottle should have been obviously NOT a gun, but no one is right 100% of the time. They may have truly thought it was one, or were just cowboys hell bent on the stop.

·
Uberbi.. nah, I can't do it.
3,501 Posts
I had something typed out but my browser froze. The gist is, annonymous calls CAN create reasonable suspicion under specific circumstances with detailed info. Did the cops tell you it was annoymous or are you just guessing? If they spoke to someone in person or had a verified call back, the stop was definitely legal. If not, then if the caller wasn't very specific, you probably should not have been stopped.

The use of common sense is hard to address. It's likely that your bottle should have been obviously NOT a gun, but no one is right 100% of the time. They may have truly thought it was one, or were just cowboys hell bent on the stop.
Sorry, but gotta disagree a bit. That's b.s., legal or not. So next time I'm carrying my kid's art project to school for him, and some idiot thinks because it's long and narrow (it was a tube for an air-fair for his science project) that I'm carrying a rifle, I get stopped and told to get down with my hands over my head? Don't you see a problem with this? You usually seem pretty level-headed, (for a cop). ;)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
The gist is, annonymous calls CAN create reasonable suspicion under specific circumstances with detailed info.
The truth is, anonymous calls RARELY contain the specifics necessary to effect a proper arrest.

Congrats to the OP for surviving his encounter with NYPD, not all are so lucky.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
Swilliams, I don't understand where you read approval in my post, but you're incorrect. As nearly always, all I was doing was objectively explaining the legal aspects of a situation like this one. Re-read my post with that view and you will see my point. If you're going to finish your response with a snarky insult, at least understand the post you're responding to.
Quite frankly, what part of my post is BS and what exactly are you disagreeing with? I didn't approve of anything or make a judgement, so you have nothig to disagree with other than settled law, which is fine, but your disagreement isn't with me then.

Guy, I thought I was clear on that point by the way I finished my first paragraph. It is very rare that an anonymous call can establish RS, but it is legally possible under certain circumstances. I don't know enough about this sitaution to say yes or no. Without a transcript of the 911 call, with the info as given to the involved cops, that's impossible to tell.

·
Uberbi.. nah, I can't do it.
3,501 Posts
I guess I took the fact that this could be legal, and the part about no one being right 100% of the time, as defense of this stop. Sorry if I misconstrued.

(By the way, that last part of my first post was meant to be ribbing, not bashing, in case that didn't come across the wires the right way.)

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
When the smoke cleared, did they apologize? Did they realize how stupid this actually turned out to be? What did they say to you?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Thank goodness they didn't assess the situation and obtain facts about what was going on before presenting you with a lethal threat.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts