New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm a long time lurker here and I post regularly on AR15.com under the name Bill_Wallace. I joined this forum to ask for your help to get a pro-gun judge elected in Delaware County.

I got a chance to meet Gary Rosa, who is running for Delaware County Judge as a democrat. Normally, you should stop reading right there, but not this time.

Gary Rosa is about as pro-gun as you can hope a candidate for county judge to be. I’ve spoken to people in his home town that he’s know for decades and everyone confirms this. He is an avid hunter and outdoorsman (not just words, he spends a lot of time hunting by local accounts), he believes strongly in the constitution and the 2nd Amendment. He even lurks on ar15.com and other firearm forums sometimes (which, to me, is about as strong an endorsement as I can think of). When I spoke to him he mentioned some guy named Bill Wallace had expressed concerns about the incumbent judge, and I said, “Hey wait, that’s me!”

Delaware County is known for unrestricted pistol permits. Most of us thought that Judge Becker would continue Judge Estes’ legacy in this respect. Unfortunately, that has not been the case. In the past, people who applied for a permit and put down hunting, target shooting, etc. received unrestricted permits (I don’t think Judge Estes issued any other kind). Judge Becker gives such people restricted permits. From what I have been told by someone in the county offices, he also gives restricted permits to people under 25 no matter what they apply for. There is also an issue with him suspending and/or revoking people’s permits based solely on charges and not convictions (aka guilty until proven innocent, and sometimes even then). I have researched this and these are not just rumors, there are articles in the local papers about this. I don’t think Judge Becker has been a bad judge, he’s probably better than most other county Judges in NY, but for us in Delaware County, I don’t think that’s good enough. We are a pro-gun county and we are used to and expect to be issued unrestricted permits if we qualify under the law. We do not want to live in fear that our permits and the thousands (or sometimes tens of thousands) of dollars we have invested in our pistols can be jeopardized by a simple accusation or misunderstanding.

Judge Rosa is in the process of obtaining and submitting a candidate rating form from the NYSRPA and I have no doubt he will be very highly rated. I don’t know him personally, I met him for the first time today, and my only motivation in this is to get the best judge that we can get in Delaware County. I believe that Gary Rosa is that judge. As a democrat, he faces an uphill battle in Republican Delaware county. Please help me spread the word about him and his campaign so that our voters can make the right decision. The NYSRPA has already endorsed Judge Becker as they did not know anything about Gary Rosa at the time. I don’t think they can pull that endorsement, even if it’s in the best interest of Delaware County residents, but any other help they can provide would be appreciated.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
If people want to carry concealed, they should make sure to put something like self-defense, concealed carry, etc on their application. Are you saying the current judge is restricting people's permits when they put those reasons down, or are they just putting hunting, target shooting, etc. on their applications?

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Thanks for the post. Hopefully you get a pro-gun judge!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the post. Hopefully you get a pro-gun judge!
Thanks, Jeff! I hope we get one too. I don't think Judge Becker is anti-gun, but Gary Rosa is very pro-gun, and in NY we need all the pro-gun we can get.

If people want to carry concealed, they should make sure to put something like self-defense, concealed carry, etc on their application. Are you saying the current judge is restricting people's permits when they put those reasons down, or are they just putting hunting, target shooting, etc. on their applications?
When Judge Becker was running for the office, he promised that nothing would change when it came to pistol permits. We had a certain culture in Delaware County when it came to permits. You put down whatever reason you wanted, and Judge Estes gave you an unrestricted permit. It's what we expected. When Judge Becker said nothing would change, people assumed he meant it. So they continued to apply for their permits as they had done before, only to be shocked to be issued restricted permits.

As far as I know, he still gives unrestricted permits to those who specify self defense, but one has to wonder why he bothers to restrict permits when they don't. What possible motive could he have, particularly since he knew how things were here when he was running for election. And then there are the suspensions and revocations without convictions. Again, one has to ask, why? What are his actual views on the right to bear arms? He was quoted in a local newspaper as saying that having a pistol permit was a privilege (when he was revoking a 75 yo man's permit for having said some words in anger based solely on the accusation). Legally in NY, we all know it is, but if he was a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment, he wouldn't say that. NY's permits aren't just for carying, they are for owning. So you lose your permit, you lose your handguns. How that is constitutional is beyond me. We need a judge who believes strongly in the Constitution as Gary Rosa does.

This may sound like whining to someone who lives in a county where you'd be lucky to get even a restricted permit, but the pistol permit policies are determined by the voters of the county. In Alaska, Vermont, etc., the voters said no permit at all, and they can carry and own pistols without one. In Delaware County, we deserve the right to have our voices heard and to get back what we lost when Judge Estes stepped down. Gary Rosa is the man to give it to us.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
This may sound like whining to someone who lives in a county where you'd be lucky to get even a restricted permit,
And we feel bad for you since I live in a county that issues only unrestricted permits as far as I've ever seen.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
In Warren County the judge issues restricted unless LEO or ex military, I still ahve to call him pro gun as he issues permits. Not ALL democrats are evil. Sullivan County proves that, Judge Labuda has proved that, signing my unrestricted many years ago.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
I'd say that issuing permits only to LEO or ex military is pretty evil. As far as I'm concerned, it's the same as saying that only military and police should have guns.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I'd say that issuing permits only to LEO or ex military is pretty evil. As far as I'm concerned, it's the same as saying that only military and police should have guns.
Issues restricted to anyone that's not LEO/ex MIL. Not a denial.

Not saying it's good, just clarifying.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hate to bump such an old thread, but I'm just wondering how the fight is coming along. Was just up in Delaware county a few days ago and I saw way more Rosa signs than Becker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts