New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in line behind a couple trying to buy a box of lawman 9mm the other day at the I81 Exit 30 store and the clerk told them that they could not buy the ammo because they were not 21. mind you they did not look like the ganster type and I watched to see how this was going to go down. The customer did not get upset and the clerk was respectful the entire time she was denying his sale. He tried to explain to the clerk that he was using it in a rifle but that fell on deaf ears as she could only do what they store policy told her to do. I felt sorry for the guy but, I am sure he knows someone over 21 (a parent perhaps) that would be able to buy the ammo if he really needed it. If he had a rifle caliber he would have been able to buy it without any problems. I was buying primers and she asked my birthdate, I told her I was more than double the age of your last customer and gave her the date anyway. Seems like I will be doing the ammo buying for my Son's .357 Magnum break action rifle for the next 2 years. Another case of Store Policy going too much into intrusion of your life or just CYA?

Some of these store policies are getting a little on the intrusive side especially in the computer age where they have to enter your information prior to the sale going through. A simple look at my face or DL should have been sufficeint to verify I was old enough (although she did not look at my ID).

It has been a while since I was in CA so if the info is not up to date please forgive me. When I was stationed at Fort Ord buying any ammo meant you supplied ID to the clerk and they wrote all your info plus the type, caliber and amount you were buying in a register. So I guess I should be thankful that the PRNY is not as strict or stupid as the PRC. I was a little suprized about this at first but got used to it, if I wanted to shoot I had to dance the dance. In OR we just went to the counter and paid for our stuff and left, no ID no questions not hassles.

I wonder what the future holds for ammo purchaces for any or all of us.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Actually can they add a special ammo tax? I only ask because poll taxes were deemed unconstitutional because it made it tougher for poor people to vote.

I would think the best way to have stores change their policy is to write their management and tell them if they dont change policy you will try and get people to boycott them.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
They are not going to change there policy on this. For a huge company like gander there are too many ways this stuff can get in the wrong hands and they can get sued. Gander doesnt know if a kid is really using the pistol ammo in thier carbine or going home and playing with a hammer nd nail trying to blow them up LOL. If you are under 21 and going to buy a pistol caliber carbine, you must be aware getting ammo is going to be hard. In NY pistol = 21..... you can use one if under 21 but must be with someone who is 21 and they can buy the ammo.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
They asked for ID once to input my birthdate once, I told them they didn't need my ID and that they could input 01/01/01. I was thinking 1901, the computer was thinking 2001, so my purchase was denied (I'm 34). The guy couldn't back it out of the system and couldn't figure out how to cancel the transaction, so I had to go to another register.

Too funny, in a sad and pathetic way.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Actually can they add a special ammo tax? I only ask because poll taxes were deemed unconstitutional because it made it tougher for poor people to vote.

I would think the best way to have stores change their policy is to write their management and tell them if they dont change policy you will try and get people to boycott them.
There already is a special tax on ammo. its the robertson pittman act. Pittman-Robertson Federal Aid in Wildlife Restoration Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is probably one of the most successful taxes. Most everything we buy as sportsman is taxed for this. The money is well spent, but only a matter of time before some gov ahole screws it up.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
They asked for ID once to input my birthdate once, I told them they didn't need my ID and that they could input 01/01/01. I was thinking 1901, the computer was thinking 2001, so my purchase was denied (I'm 34). The guy couldn't back it out of the system and couldn't figure out how to cancel the transaction, so I had to go to another register.

Too funny, in a sad and pathetic way.
Everyone has a right to their own feelings and opinions on being "proofed" for ammo. I feel its just easier to show the ID and move on. if they were photocopying it or something that would be more extreme.

I believe all the big box stores have this id request built into the POS. They cannot finish the transaction without it... its not the cashiers fault or policy.

·
Registered
926 Posts
when I first started hunting I could buy shotgun shells myself. I use to have my mom buy my .22lr ammo because you had to be 21 to buy them because they could be used in a handgun. With everyone so willing to sue companies they are just trying to protect the future by having the cashier ID people. Have you tried to buy spray paint from walmart? Or permatex? There are also more and more stores that 100% ID everyone for beer ans smokes no matter how old you look. Unfortunately it's just something Everyone is going to nhave to get use to.

When my local walmart started requiring a pistol permit to buy handgun ammo I was a little peeved and tried to resist but I gave in and now I just take my permit with me and I'm in and out without any problems.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
yeah, its crazy nowadays. ever been sick as a dog and go to a cvs to buy cold medicine? what a process! That is usually when I get pissed LOL. I tell them I am too sick to go home to setup a meth lab and cook my sudafed...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I just purchased 9mm and 22lr ammo at the Gander Mt in Buffalo this weekend. I paid at the service desk and was not asked to show ID. I'm 37 but I always get proofed for buying alcohol, whether at a store or a restaurant. I was expecting to show my ID for the ammo... kind of depressing that the cashier apparently thought I looked old enough.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I just purchased 9mm and 22lr ammo at the Gander Mt in Buffalo this weekend. I paid at the service desk and was not asked to show ID. I'm 37 but I always get proofed for buying alcohol, whether at a store or a restaurant. I was expecting to show my ID for the ammo... kind of depressing that the cashier apparently thought I looked old enough.
Lol I think that means your Gettin old?

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Gander is more restrictive as well IMO because of that Serial killer near Binghamton a few years bak!He actually bought the guns to kill all those people from there store.they caught a lil flack from that.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Everyone has a right to their own feelings and opinions on being "proofed" for ammo. I feel its just easier to show the ID and move on. if they were photocopying it or something that would be more extreme.

I believe all the big box stores have this id request built into the POS. They cannot finish the transaction without it... its not the cashiers fault or policy.
My problem is when they start entering in address (junk mail) and license # (purchase tracking) info, or when the clerk decides he/she is now an expert at verifying permit validity, or tries to figure out if you have a gun that fits the caliber of ammo you are buying (I've even had a Wal-mart clerk try to peel the picture off of my permit, which is why I no longer allow them to hold it).

I agree that this is not the cashier's fault or policy, which is why I am polite about my stance. There's nothing wrong or rude about politely stating that they don't need to have the info they are requesting, or that they don't need to hold my permit to verify that I have one.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Gander is more restrictive as well IMO because of that Serial killer near Binghamton a few years bak!He actually bought the guns to kill all those people from there store.they caught a lil flack from that.
But you cant hold it against Gander mountain. He obviously passed all the checks and was legal to own a gun. I understand they sold him the guns that killed people, but once they are sold legally what he does with the guns are all on him.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
But you cant hold it against Gander mountain. He obviously passed all the checks and was legal to own a gun. I understand they sold him the guns that killed people, but once they are sold legally what he does with the guns are all on him.
Exactly how it works in a perfect world....Once is enough but what do you think the press would do if that happened again with same said store/chain?They would have field day with them "if" there was no changes in protocol that the store could act/put-up in there defense (also IMO)...

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Gander has always asked me for my birthday, but never asked for ID. I don't shop at Wal-mart for a variety of reasons, but especially I wouldn't buy ammo there on principal. I like supporting local stores, and Beikirch's gets 90% of my ammo purchases. However, I don't think Gander is being unreasonable; I appreciate their position as a national sporting goods store that is still carrying handguns. It's tough out there, and they could go the Dick's route and only carry long arms, and save themselves a lot of hassle.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
If you don't like their policies you can either bend over and take it, or walk out and vote with your $$$.

It might cost a few bucks, but at least you won't feel like a cheap sellout afterwards.

·
Registered
926 Posts
we had a guy at my local walmart ngo in buy a rifle all legal like went out in the parking lot and killed himself in his car. Sometimes poeple never let on to the intensions. Not alot you can do after the fact other than point blame..

For what it's worth I have never been proofed for any ammo at my local Dicks sporting goods.

you will probably find the clerk was new and was only doing what she was trained to do. Usually it's the seasoned clerks that don't ask unless they have too.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts

This is Wal*Mart's take on 9mm, complete with inept response from corporate and all!

A comment I often get is "just have someone older buy it". No bones. I did just that and had my dad try to buy it (before I was 21) and then it moved from "you need to be 21" to "You need a permit." Their next step is "You need a permit, with a gun in that caliber on your permit." Combine this with fantastic "No ammo before/after 9pm/10pm/11pm/8am/9am", made up on the spot nonsense and "straw purchase" lies and this is why we avoid Wal*Mart big box stores for ammo. Well, at least I say I do. Unfortunately sometimes I have no other choice and bite the bullet.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts